Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2014, 06:20 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
MB Sprinter in Colorado passes?

We are currently in a 36 foot V10 pulling a Jeep. We are seriously considering downsizing to a Sprinter. Does anyone have experience with a MB on Colorado passes such as Wolf Creek, etc? The info says they have a hitch rated at 5000 lbs and the Jeep weighs less than that, but I am not sure if the diesel engine can handle the weight. Any info?
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #2

A friend has a Sprinter conversion and has travelled the mountain passes in Colorado, including going to Silverton. Has to go slow in some places, but gets there just fine. I am amazed at how well the Sprinter does and his is a full conversion. I would guess his is around eight years old.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The rule of thumb is about 1 hp per 100 lbs (including toad). That usually gives adequate but not blazing performance. Maybe a bit slow on the steeper grades, but it does the job. A 5-6 speed transmission is a big plus vs a 4 speed - you need gears to help the smaller engines apply their power efficiently.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We spent 2 weeks traveling in CO a few summers ago. We were only pulling an open trailer with a motorcycle, total weight about 1500-1700 pounds. Had absolutely no problem. Drove the Million Dollar Highway with no problems, and no problems with any of the other roads we were on. The MB 6 cylinder diesel does just fine out there.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Since the View only weighs 11,000 lbs, I figure we will be fine. Thanks for the replies!
Old 12-10-2014, 07:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
Since the View only weighs 11,000 lbs, I figure we will be fine. Thanks for the replies!
That doesn't sound right- the GVWR is 11,030#.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #7

Why are you considering downsizing? Length is a question I'm still rolling around with, floor plan not so much. Always very interesting when owners buck the upsizing trend. Did you consider the 28 to 32 foot gas and diesel options? There are also some thoughts out there that some owners stored a lot of junk they really didn't need and realized they could do with a lot less storage capacity. I keep coming back to 34 ft, but longer and shorter from that length still seem to tug at me.

Seems to me the critical thing is to weight the rv and then see what you have to do to stay within GCWR, as I understand it, and compromises always seem to be part of the equation. I thought one of the values of having a sprinter was not to need a toad, assuming you are looking at 24.5 ft though I know some sprinters have longer length.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
That doesn't sound right- the GVWR is 11,030#.
You are correct. But GCWR is 15,250.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am simply tired of the size and the 6.5 mpg. Our unit sits in its shed 9 months out of the year since it costs so much to take trips in it. We want to take our Rubicon since we enjoy driving the off-road passes.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
We are currently in a 36 foot V10 pulling a Jeep. We are seriously considering downsizing to a Sprinter. Does anyone have experience with a MB on Colorado passes such as Wolf Creek, etc? The info says they have a hitch rated at 5000 lbs and the Jeep weighs less than that, but I am not sure if the diesel engine can handle the weight. Any info?

We took a cross country trip a few years ago with friends who traveled in a Winnebago Via pulling a Saturn Vue. We crossed the Big Horn Mtns on hwy 16 out of Buffalo, Wy on the way to Cody. We pulled the pass on the east entrance to Yellowstone. We pulled I70 east bound up to the Eisenhower tunnel. I would say that overall the performance of the little MB diesel was satisfactory. The biggest con is the size of the fuel tank .

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:06 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
We looked at a couple of Winnebago Vias yesterday and were impressed by the build quality. We have been spending three months in Colorado in the summer and figure we would be at each others throat if we tried that in a 24 foot unit.

Also, by the time we took into account the trade difference, we can buy lots of gasoline by not trading. Our Adventurer simply has too many nice amenities to turn loose of at this time. If we could afford it, a Via would be nice to have for the short trips and the Adventurer for the extended stays but, alas.

Tags
colorado