Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2010, 07:35 AM   #1

MBE 900 Series Engines - HP Fuel Line Recall

I thought that a recent issue with my 2007 Gulf Stream Tour Master, which was built on a Freightliner Chassis and is powered by a Mercedes MBE 920 engine, might be of help to other owners with similar combinations.

Our coach had about 12,000 miles when we noticed the smell of diesel fuel when we stopped for the evening. The engine was leaking a small amount of fuel and I traced it to one of the high-pressure fuel lines located on the top of the engine going from the block into the injectors.

While working to get this corrected I became aware of a recent recall on the Mercedes engines (NHTSA 08V668000 and 09V141000). I called Detroit Diesel -- they handle the Mercedes engines -- and was told that my engine serial number was not in the recall. Further investigations with various dealers revealed that a Mercedes recall (08C3) provides for a complete replacement of all un-dampened high-pressure fuel lines and fittings. My engine did not have the new dampened HP lines.

I followed the service issue procedures in my Mercedes engine owner’s manual and finally contacted a regional manager. He was very helpful and agreed to complete the recall (08C3) without charge. Needless to say, I was relieved to not have to pay for the four hours of labor and needed parts.

My main reason for communicating with Tech Talk is to make other owners with this engine aware of a potentially serious situation that could occur as the result of a fuel leak. Friends of ours in Texas are the owners of a Alfa See Ya motor coach with the same chassis and engine combination as mine. They had a major fuel leak that left them shaken and stranded on the side of a highway and just glad that the leak did not develop into a serious fire. Neither I nor our friends were contacted by Gulf Stream, Freightliner or Detroit Diesel concerning this recall. I’m sure there are others who may be in the same situation.

Charles C.
Green Cove Springs, FL
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie C View Post
I thought that a recent issue with my 2007 Gulf Stream Tour Master, which was built on a Freightliner Chassis and is powered by a Mercedes MBE 920 engine, might be of help to other owners with similar combinations.
Charlie C, Thanks for presenting your experience with this issue. I'm sure that others will benefit from your experience.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #3

Hello...

2008 Tour Master here. Just had a HP line fail today and was stuck at a rest stop. $749 repair one line and then I found this thread (and the one on FMCA).

Here is my issue...We are an early 2008 Tour Master T40B with a 2007 MBE900 engine. The issue...The recall was done by coach model year and this out S/N was not on the list. This is not making for issues of "it's not recalled" when surely is should be as I have a 2007 MBE900 engine without the HP Fuel lines without dampers.

This is not a good day and looks like it will not end up being a good outcome.
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #4

David,
I went through the same thing you are describing. My serial number was also Not in the database. I was able, by speaking to a Regional Manager" at (MD) Detroit Diesel to get this repair done at no cost. . When I explained my situation he immediately authorized the warranty repair. The recall will replace all of the block to head HP fuel lines. If you have any questions you call me at 828-837-1070. See my entry above for more info on the recall.
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote