Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2017, 06:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by z32k12 View Post
We've decided to go with the MCD shades and so far all my contact with the company has been outstanding. They've answered all my questions promptly and we now have an appointment in January. Their shop is close to our route as we cross from Florida to California so it's a great time to get the work done. I contacted several installers who sell Auto Motion and found the prices to be very similar between the two companies.
Well that's good to know. It's always nice to see and or read of a satisfied customer of a company that's maybe not doing well in the ratings. It will be interesting to see how long your MCDs will last and, if there's any trouble, especially during any form of warranty period, how the company handles it. But, hopefully nothing will happen and you'll get great service from your new MCDs.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2017, 09:20 PM   #16

our beaver coach came with MCD shades on all windows including power shades on the windshield. driving through Louisiana, the passenger end of the windshield shade came loose and fell down while I was driving doing around 65. needless to say , It shook us up a bit because I couldn't see where I was going. My wife had to jump up and hold the shade up till I managed to pull over. finally got it held up by a bungee cord. contacted MCD in Texas, went to their factory where they let us stay on their lot overnight. finally got a tech. around 1 the next day to fix it. said the motor was shot and needed to be replaced, which I didn't understand because it worked before it fell down. took about 2 hours to get it fixed and charged us close to $400.
havgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:26 PM   #17

I had our 2006 40' Allegro Bus retrofitted with MCDs about a three weeks ago. Called them mid summer and they sent a package with different color samples. Always had great customer service and love the shades. We didn't do the front (already had a snap on outside cover, but did 8 other windows. Cost for the 8 windows were $1839 and $100 labor (1 hour) to install. In the past rarely opened the shades as just too much a chore, but now with the new MCDs they're always up first thing in morning as takes about 5 seconds. Really like them and hope we don't have problems like previous posters relayed.
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:07 AM   #18

Thanks for the info, good to hear from someone who had work completed there recently. I'm still debating on the front screen; I also have outside covers but since I'm there I might just bite the bullet and get it done. I also have eight windows I'm getting non-powered dual shades.
z32k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #19

I also considered the front auto shade, but decided on my older coach just wasn't worth it. My neighbor while at MCD in McKinney did have his front and both front sides completed. It was about double the price give or take a hundred bucks. His coach was a 2008 Revolution SE and the front cabinets where straight across with a flatter windshield. Also his dash was basically straight across so appeared to be made for an auto shade and fit nicely. My upper cabinets, dash, and front window were more rounded which would have required a lot more labor to get it to fit ... definitely doable but more labor hours and not sure it would have looked/fit as well. I've seen the front auto MCDs on many Buses and Phaetons but haven't been inside to see how they fit.
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #20

Our coach came with MCD shades all around and powered shades on the windshield. We love the shades except that I recently had to replace a motor that failed on the white windshield shade. The replacement motor is a slightly different design than the original and needed minor modification. Interaction with customer service was satisfactory.

Besides the failed motor, my complaint is the difficulty in detaching the clips that MCD uses to attach the blinds. These clips require a lot of force with a flat screw driver in a hard to access place. On the windshield, two clips were placed side by side. Try pushing two screw drivers with one hand at the same time!
Old 12-02-2017, 10:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
Our coach came with MCD shades all around and powered shades on the windshield. We love the shades except that I recently had to replace a motor that failed on the white windshield shade. The replacement motor is a slightly different design than the original and needed minor modification. Interaction with customer service was satisfactory.

Besides the failed motor, my complaint is the difficulty in detaching the clips that MCD uses to attach the blinds. These clips require a lot of force with a flat screw driver in a hard to access place. On the windshield, two clips were placed side by side. Try pushing two screw drivers with one hand at the same time!
Algonquin,
Would or could it be possible to use something like a wide bladed non-bendable paint scraper in your situation for those clips? Something like a 3" or 4" wide putty knife maybe too?
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:04 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My rig came with MCD shades all around and the house shades are a fancy shades I'd never seen before. Gearbox in one of the drivers side shades went out and can't be serviced or repaired. So I had to buy the whole motor/gearbox conbination. Cost was $154 and I did the R & R. No problems at all.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #23

If your MCD blind motor fails or if you want to have a spare motor you can buy a replacement motor for quite a bit less than going back to MCD. I replaced several of mine using motors from Rollertrol.com for $99 each. The motors are pretty easy to swap out. The end cap and drive wheel that comes with the replacement is easily swapped out with your original MCD parts. The Rollertrol motor that I purchased is a model TMDC-12-25-15-28-NR. They program a little differently than the original MCD motor which has a button handing down on a wire, instead there is a small button built right into the end of the motor for the same purpose.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote