Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2017, 12:48 PM   #1

MCD shades vs Auto Motion Shades

We are thinking about having MCD shades installed in our coach and have an estimate. I've found a few recommendations for Auto Motion shades but I find a lot more information on MCD. Looking for recommendations before we drop the $$$.

I'm looking at the dual shades; powered windshield and manual everywhere else.

Don
z32k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Don! We don't have either, but I've read some negative comments about MCD service.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #3

I would agree that MCD customer service is not very good. On the orher hand my experiences with Automotion are stellar and they seem to jump through hoops to please.
scrowell52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our unit (2014) came from the factory with MCD's all around except for the front and I installed those myself. We like them very much and they have worked flawlessly
for these past 4 years. The white shade acts as a good insulator during the cooler months.

Even the front shade (s) which do take extra abuse from the cat and dog trying to view passersby to amuse themselves have not seen much additional wear or fault.

I know nothing about the Auto Motion brand of shade so can't give a comparison. My experience with the MCD costumer service was all positive I wanted to do a self install on the front and they were very helpful.

I did at one time discuss having them installed at the factory in Dallas but decided to do it myself. I do know you can park in their lot and stay until they are ready to do the install.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I just installed some MCD shades, window shade and cockpit sides.
Communication with MCD was troublesome at times but once I finally got the right contacts it went better. They were very helpful with helping on the self install and making sure we got the correct shades. We have been very happy with the use of the new shades over the old curtain in the front.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
A few years back, I replaced all my shades in my Monaco Diplomat with MCD shades. I also installed a powered MCD windshield shade. I didn't think their quality is all that it was cracked up to be. To of the new shades came with broken internal spring assemblies. Working with MCD for replacement was less than stellar. They all worked well once installed. My sister had Auto Motion installed at about the same time and they worked just as well for quite a bit less.

MCD has the bigger name as they are the RVing industries choice for shades in most RV's.
Knowing what I know now, I would go with Auto Motion. When you look at the internal workings of both, they're the same, nylon gear assembly with a spring.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
We installed MCD shades in the entire coach. One broke in that it would not stay down. Another broke from the attachment point. Called MCD and repair parts not available, the best they would do is sell me another one with a "customer loyalty" discount of a whopping 10%. I only wanted the day shade but had to buy a complete set. No thanks as 10% off of a almost $500 shade is peanuts.

Removed all of the MCDs and installed Auto Motion as replacements. Much better shade, made with heavier and more robust material.

Costly to reinstall shades but after the way I was treated by MCD, it is worth it
Old 11-22-2017, 12:13 PM   #8
Community Administrator

MCD shades vs Auto Motion Shades

I had the Auto Motion power windshield and manual on all others. I liked them.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:19 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I contacted two major installers, one in IL and one in WA, that use automotion shades It appears they switched from supplying MCD. I had called to get info on a MCD front shade conversion from my existing front curtains. Maybe they did the switch so they will make more money as Automotion gives them a higher profit , I don't know. When I called the comment they both had was Automotion was a better product with better customer support from the factory. Since they no longer sell MCD take it for what its worth.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Our unit (2014) came from the factory with MCD's all around except for the front and I installed those myself. We like them very much and they have worked flawlessly
for these past 4 years. The white shade acts as a good insulator during the cooler months.

Even the front shade (s) which do take extra abuse from the cat and dog trying to view passersby to amuse themselves have not seen much additional wear or fault.

I know nothing about the Auto Motion brand of shade so can't give a comparison. My experience with the MCD costumer service was all positive I wanted to do a self install on the front and they were very helpful.

I did at one time discuss having them installed at the factory in Dallas but decided to do it myself. I do know you can park in their lot and stay until they are ready to do the install.
Like Tejay our coach also came with MCD shades all around. In our case the front power shade(s) were also factory installed. We've put over 35,000 miles on the coach and camped in it for months at a time. There has never been a problem with any of the shades.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Like Tejay our coach also came with MCD shades all around. In our case the front power shade(s) were also factory installed. We've put over 35,000 miles on the coach and camped in it for months at a time. There has never been a problem with any of the shades.
Well,
It's like a lot of other things RV related. It appears that there are some GOOD MCD shades and, some BAD MCD shades. Based on this particular thread, it appears there's MORE bad ones than good ones. And, it also appears (I have no experience to corroborate these statements) that MCDs customer service is less than desired. We've seen this same sort of situations with Emergency Road Service, Camping World, Tires, RV appliances and more. I'm still on the fence as to which way to go. I know I'm just seriously tires of re-stringing blinds. While those blinds are nice WHEN they work, the internal parts, i.e. nylon micro-bushings, string etc., do wear and deform which causes premature wear and, improper operation.

And, if the strings are not tensioned exactly the same on both sides, you get the infamous tilting as different sections are raised. So, each type of window treatments have their pitfalls and attributes.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:29 AM   #12

I have Automotion and love them.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:34 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
We retro installed MCD’s on our 08 Monaco in 2012. Took it to the factory in McKinney, TX. No problems.

Traded the Monaco last August. The DS came with electric MCD’s all around.

About three weeks after we got the DS, we went to NKK rally at Sedalia. We told the Newmar Tech Writer that one of the night shades seemed a little balky. They looked up my coach number. ‘Said there was a TSB on the MCD shade motors.

The next morning, two MCD factory techs came out to the coach and proceeded to replace twenty-three shade motors and the remote control.

Everything is working great so far.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:40 PM   #14

Thanks for all the great info

We've decided to go with the MCD shades and so far all my contact with the company has been outstanding. They've answered all my questions promptly and we now have an appointment in January. Their shop is close to our route as we cross from Florida to California so it's a great time to get the work done. I contacted several installers who sell Auto Motion and found the prices to be very similar between the two companies.
z32k12 is offline   Reply With Quote