Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Membership / Subscription

Ok what is the publication I have heard mentioned to aid in looking for a used MH?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #2

RV Trader??

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
RV Trader??

Thanks but it was something other. A annual subscription or publication?
Old 11-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Never heard of one.

Are you thinking of the annual evaluations from RV Consumer Group? They would have you believe they are the "Consumer Reports" of the RV world, but that's a far stretch.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Never heard of one.

Are you thinking of the annual evaluations from RV Consumer Group? They would have you believe they are the "Consumer Reports" of the RV world, but that's a far stretch.

Gary I think that is it. Is it only on new units? Is it worth buying?
Old 11-16-2014, 08:47 AM   #6

RV Consumer Group is definitely worth buying. Highly recommended. The program has all the RVs up to 12 or 13 years old - we bought it in 2013 and there are vehicles starting 2000. You can buy motorhome or trailer part.

We are new to this whole ordeal and it is a very big help.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think it is worth much, but obviously Laara disagrees. Take RVCG with several grains of salt - it's just one man's opinion about what constitutes good or bad in an RV. They don't actually test rvs and they aren't engineers. The upside is that they do compile a lot of data in one place.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:55 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess it comes down to the compilation of data. It would be nice to have in one nice publication and would make for some good reading and reference for the cold winter I'm about to be stuck in.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
I think the best info on RVs comes from actual owners.....Its not only about the particular year of rig your looking at but the info, both good and bad, from previous years......and the all important warranty. No point in buying a rig that has huge eye candy appeal if its gonna be in the shop for the first 18 months getting warranty work.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought the package for motorhomes. I have never owned one before. I found it very helpful with their ratings in comparing various coach makers. Helps in deterring safety ratings, drivability based on wheelbase, overall service and customer satisfaction. He and his staff have toured some manufacture assembly plants and gives some insight on what goes on there. Also gives average purchase price for models and the depeciation by year for each model. It helped me to consider some other makers/models as well as rule out some too. There are also owner comments on all the various models. They also include information on towing in a separate publication. All of this is down loaded to your computer unless you want to wait for hard covers, They di send out a book the tells you how to Inspect and Buy and Rv whig has great information in it. I sold cars and Harley's in my past and just the information on how to deal with "dealers" and the verbiage they use will give you lots of ammunition for your battle with them in closing the deal. I ended up buying a gently used coach from a private owner last week and I credit the information I learned from the RVCG, NADA guides, extensive on-line research, reading several forums, and visiting a couple RV shows over the past couple years all very important in making a good decision I am very happy with in every way. My point is there is no one "secret source" to give you the answer--you need all the help you can get when you are spending big bucks. Equally important if you are buying older models for less money. Good luck!!!
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I don't think it is worth much, but obviously Laara disagrees. Take RVCG with several grains of salt - it's just one man's opinion about what constitutes good or bad in an RV. They don't actually test rvs and they aren't engineers. The upside is that they do compile a lot of data in one place.
The thing is we are so new to RV world. When we started looking we knew absolutely nothing. We were poking here and there, talking to occasionally met owners and dealers, we did it for few months and came nowhere.

Then somebody here said about this program. Tetonchief said very well about it. It really helps to see so much info in one place, it taught us a lot. All of a sudden we knew what we were looking for and what to expect. When we started asking proper questions at dealers we saw completely different reaction and answers then before.

So, you are right, I totally disagree.