Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2010, 11:49 PM   #1

Messed up day/night shade

How difficult is it to restring a day night shade as i broke a string the other day trying to raise it to daytime. Would it be cheaper to buy another one or can i take it to someone locally. I would not have the foggiest idea who to take it too. Also, how are they connected to the coach. I can peek behind the shade and see two metal things, but i dont know how to get it loose without the possibility of tearing the shade up. I hope they are just clips that i can pull the shade from. rivrduk

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2010, 12:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
here you go.
Blind and Shade Parts and String Repair Instuctions / Directions

rvtips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:46 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also you need to remove the valance to make it much easier to re-install. You need a 12" (?) extension to get to the screws above the day/night bracket. I found a link sometime ago but can't find it currently. You may want to google or bing day/night shades repair and you should be able to find it.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
A excellent source for parts and information - RV Shade and Blind Repair. Get his $20.00 package. It includes springs, glides, -- all the parts necessary for up to 4 shades and a cd with instructions.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just recently re-strung a 4 string day/night shade in my bedroom slide. It is relatively easy, if you are handy with tools. I ordered the kit from "RV Shade and Blind Repair", as stated in the response above and got all the necessary supplies. However, the instructional CD, provided with the kit is not very user friendly. You can't stop it or back it up, for review or clarification, etc. It has no index, so you must wade through all the different types of shades, to find the one you have. That was the only negative issue that I found, with the kit.

As to taking it down, I did remove the valance first.

Roland
Old 08-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
How much is a replacement shade?
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had some re-strung at a place that did shades/blinds for homes (Montgomery AL) for around $35 ...until I replaced them all with MCD shades.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:01 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrduk View Post
How difficult is it to restring a day night shade as i broke a string the other day trying to raise it to daytime. Would it be cheaper to buy another one or can i take it to someone locally. I would not have the foggiest idea who to take it too. Also, how are they connected to the coach. I can peek behind the shade and see two metal things, but i dont know how to get it loose without the possibility of tearing the shade up. I hope they are just clips that i can pull the shade from. rivrduk
Rivrduk,

Not sure, but did you say if they were power or manual? If power, let me know and I'll give you my experience restringing one of ours without having a kit or instructions. It was trial and error, but I learned a lot about how to do it.

Dave
Old 08-26-2010, 08:18 PM   #9

MCD shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I had some re-strung at a place that did shades/blinds for homes (Montgomery AL) for around $35 ...until I replaced them all with MCD shades.
What are MCD shades?
Old 08-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #10

Manual.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
What are MCD shades?
Check 'em out at http://www.mcdinnovations.com/ ... MCD are the shade many mfg'ers are putting in new coaches now. They can be either power or manual. The Shademan Duo's that I got have one piece of see-through black mesh that blocks a lot of light and heat (day), and once piece that totally blocks all light (night). Even though our windows are heavily tinted enough to block any view from outside to in during daylight, we still like the day shade for blocking heat and sun.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrduk View Post
You can do these yourself, I have done one, wasn't hard. Getting the shade out requires you to remove them from a clip so you just pop them out, no need to remove the valance. I got the string from the original manufacturer which is Specialty Window Coverings -1655 Gateway Court - Elkhart, IN 46514. PH-(574) 262-5190. They will do them for you if you ship them or they will ship the string to you.

Good Luck
[IMG]file:///Users/rayherron/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Old 09-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #13

Fix My Blinds. Blind and Shade Repair Parts and String.
They have some good info here.