While tailgating today I noticed a piece of metal sitting next to my RV. It is a metal insert that used to be in the exhaust pipe of the generator. As you can see, somehow the screw through the exhaust pipe that held this insert in certain place has actually ripped through the insert itself. I'm running my generator today and the exhaust literally blew the insert onto the ground.
What purpose does this serve and is it critical that I replace it? The constant metal clanging of that insert was something that I hated to listen to and the generator is actually much more pleasant to run without that insert in place. Can I just leave it out?