Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #1

Question MH & Trailer Over - Length & Weights

Here are a couple of "Legal" pages showing individual State laws regarding MAXIMUM Length & weight of MH & Trailers (and much more).

State Road Laws | RV Trip Wizard? | RV Trip Wizard Inc.
Trailer Dimensions | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

I found these while researching my "soon to be" new rig:
Tiffin 45' -UP Class-A and a 25' Cargo Mate Stacker
which puts me at 70' overall, whereas most states show 65' as maximum.

Hard to get everything you, (or "I" want), want in 65'.
Who has had any experience with being over-length.
Please state what was final outcome.
Thank you BigOldBear
BigOldBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #2

Thanks for the links. Those sites cover many FAQ's here in the forums.

Currently under weight and length ; 58' ; so can't answer your question.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In the years I've been on this forums I can't remember many posts regarding being stopped or ticketed for overlength.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:42 AM   #4

So what was the purpose of doing all the research if you just plan to do what you want? You will probably never get stopped but be prepared for the consequences if you do. Under extreme circumstances I suppose they could require you to drop the trailer and have another vehicle tow it.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:33 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I agree with Mr D's post. Lots of posts over the years and not one that I remember of anyone having a problem with the over length but there is always a first time for someone.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:55 PM   #6

You could always get permits for being over length.
Xanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:53 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A good freind of mine was stoped in ILL. with his Toater Home puliing his racer car trailer that had a total length of 68ft. He was given a $400 ticket and had to drop the trailer and get a truck to pull it home. The problem was that it was considersd a MH & trailer combination and could only be 60ft.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:18 AM   #8

Depending if you are on '' state'' or ''Federal - US '' road way as to the overall length was an on going issue in our class 8 transportation business. it might become an issue if you have some kind of incident with another vehicle or have a conflict such as a driving violation ( speeding ) etc. My experience has been the recreation - Motor Homes draw very limited attention from enforcement as of this time although reading a bit about driving license issues may be on the horizon. Contents of the enclosed trailer could raise a flag .
dwaldow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:51 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
We are 72 feet, have traveled pretty much everywhere, never had a problem. IF its something that worries you, go buy a over length permit, they vary from state to state in cost, but they are typically very cheap $30- $60 range, and last anywhere from 90 days to a year.

This topic gets beat to death a lot, seems the general consensus is you odds are better at wining the lottery then getting pulled over for being over length.

Good luck.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just want to say thank you for using a stacker. It scares the $h&t out of me to see the 40+ MH towing a Jeep with the boat, or motorcycle trailer, behind that. Illegal? It should be. In my state you can only tow double if the first connection is a 5th wheel hitch, thus pickup,5th wheel trailer then boat is what we see the most.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:06 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
FWIW, look at a commercial atlas and confirm if you route has any restrictions. Those would be the places where the local LEO would enforce the length. Accidentally set the GPS once to avoid tolls and was routed on parallel roads to I-95 (MD, DE or NJ cant recall) and found myself on overweight, overwidth roads in a small town. Got back on the Interstate as soon as I could.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:50 AM   #12

Research to see what I am letting myself in for

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
So what was the purpose of doing all the research if you just plan to do what you want? You will probably never get stopped but be prepared for the consequences if you do. Under extreme circumstances I suppose they could require you to drop the trailer and have another vehicle tow it.
Purpose? I haven't purchased yet, although "almost" decided.
Here, I wanted to see what I might be getting myself into.
Are "most" over length? Is it common to do so? What might be the ramifications?
Who has done what, for how long and and what are your feelings - IF you have done it.
Thank you for commenting.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #13

MOSTLY Interstae, BUT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post
FWIW, look at a commercial atlas and confirm if you route has any restrictions. Those would be the places where the local LEO would enforce the length. Accidentally set the GPS once to avoid tolls and was routed on parallel roads to I-95 (MD, DE or NJ cant recall) and found myself on overweight, overwidth roads in a small town. Got back on the Interstate as soon as I could.
I plan to be "Full Time" RV, and most of my traveling would be on Interstates. The "TOYS" I would have in the Stacker, being 3-wheeled MotorCycles, would be for touring local roads and attending local events.
Traveling from Point "A" campground to point "B" campground, (quite often). However, I would, of necessity, have to travel local roads from last CG to next CG, and also for some food stops. It is more THESE roads, than the Interstates, I am concerned about.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:15 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
4 years of trailering between 69-73', never in CA but no issues where I have been. I usually have my Escalade in the trailer so if need be I could tow it, but I do not worry about it.

I was over-length towing 4 wheels down with previous coach and Denali XL for over 11 years and never had an issue with that set up and was in CA several times to East Coast.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight