Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
MH - Best direction to park.

I'm putting this in the general MH discussion area because I THINK it is more appropriate to MHs because of the big window up front.

What do folks think about the best direction to park a MH for long periods of time with regard to sun and heat? Generally speaking, here is what I think seems best but I'm interested in other view points. This could help us decide where we choose to winter in based on site availability.

I am thinking being parked E-W with the windshield to the east seems pretty good. While it could bring in some extra light in the morning, well covered windows should minimize that. By the time late afternoon and the higher heat arrives less sun is trying to get in through the windshield.

HOWEVER...that would mean the sun at the end of the day is heating up the back end of the MH thus heating up the bedroom (unless you have 1 & 1/2 baths) forcing more use of the AC in that area at night to be comfortable.

Of course, that means pointed to the west might be a good option because of preference to keep bedroom cooler at night.

N/S and E/W seem least attractive because in the morning one broad side is being heated by the sun in the morning and the other heated in the evening.

This is in context that we are looking at resorts in the Rio Grande Valley which generally do not have any shade in the first place. Also, with plans to be parked for a few months it is more important to get the best orientation when possible.

TANX in advance.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I like the best possible view out the picture window. Winter in RVG generally won't see extremes on either end of the thermometer. If storms come to visit you they will most likely come from the north or south. I'd probably want to face into them rather than be broadsided by them. That will put ya east west for the length of the coach but assuming you get the moderate weather your going there to experience - i think that would be fine. Recognizing you're an air traffic controller - fly heading 350.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What else is on the site, casita, air plane hanger, fence? Remember Happy Hour! Where do you want your afternoon shade, under the awning, back of coach, other side. Also frig location!
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I don't bother thinking about it since the sun moves thru the sky and it will move exactly where I don't want it at times and be fine at other times.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
...Recognizing you're an air traffic controller - fly heading 350.
Sounds like you took MAGVAR into consideration my friend.

At the Winter Ranch we have a choice...E/W or W/E. LOL The spots facing East appear to have a bit of a slant while the one facing West are pretty level. That is according to the nice lady I spoke to today.

This isn't a huge deal but you know me by know...totally AR. LOL
Old 07-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
Community Administrator

We always request North. We enjoy being outside and don't want to fry in the setting sun. The curb side is in the shade from late morning on.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
What else is on the site, casita, air plane hanger, fence? Remember Happy Hour! Where do you want your afternoon shade, under the awning, back of coach, other side. Also frig location!
LOL...if it had a hanger I wouldn't like the noise potential. However...could be fun for a paint ball course.

As I mentioned to Steve, our current focus only gives us an E/W option with being pointed west probably being our first choice. That would put the shade of the awning over our "party" side of the MH. That is also our refer side but we now have a residential refer that laughs at hot weather.

On another thread I have more important issues that Sandee and I are interested in regarding options in RGV.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/rio-g...ns-170769.html
Old 07-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
We always request North. We enjoy being outside and don't want to fry in the setting sun. The curb side is in the shade from late morning on.
HMMM...OK...I like that. Certainly makes looking south the least favorable by quite a bit.

It may sound silly that I even asked the question but we have been extremely fortunate to have good shade in almost all the places we have been.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:30 PM   #9

We prefer sun (on the deck) in the morning and shade in the evening....this means you need to be parked "front" North. BTW....heat will not be an issue in the winter....unless you're talking about sun to give you warmth while you reattached your water & sewer hose in the morning .....after you stored them before they froze the night before!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
We prefer sun (on the deck) in the morning and shade in the evening....this means you need to be parked "front" North. BTW....heat will not be an issue in the winter....unless you're talking about sun to give you warmth while you reattached your water & sewer hose in the morning .....after you stored them before they froze the night before!
Another good point. Hadn't thought about the fact that even in the RGV I might need to unhook the hoses if a freeze is coming. TANX!
Old 07-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #11

In AZ, NM and NV last winter. We moved with the better weather for about 6 months.

Most sites are E/W. You mostly had to face one or t'other way.

Facing west worked best, as the shade was on the north (patio/TV) side, and the UV shades on the front windows to the west so we could see the sunset. With 70s and 50s the hi/lo avg, it worked real well.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have spent the last five winters in the Apache Junction, AZ area. Facing north with a motorhome is the best solution. You don't have sun shining in the front windshield. It is single pane glass and even with covers it would heat up the interior a lot if it faced south. The bedroom has an insulated wall that will be a lot cooler than the windshield. By the way, you can open the bedroom windows after the sun goes down if it is too hot inside. I definitely would not have the patio side face south. You will have sun on your patio and your passenger side all day long. I also would not prefer to have the windshield face west where it would get the afternoon sun during the hottest part of the day. Having said all of this, We are forced to face south at our park. We use an awning drop as much as possible to shade the patio and cover all of our exposed windows. Depending on the outside temperatures, we set our chairs in the sun, under the awning or even on the driver's side (the sites are nice and wide). We can be in the shade or sun all day depending on what we prefer. Look at is this way, any winter day in the south is better than a day in the snow and rain in the north!
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:25 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
In the summer we like to point N so we have shade in the afternoon on our patio and very little sun through the windshield. We will open windows and shades on the shady side, W in the morning and E in the afternoon, and use our exhaust fans on the roof.

In the winter we like just the opposite, pointing S for the solar heat from the windshield and sun on the patio in the afternoon.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I like the front of the coach facing north. One gets the morning sun on the passenger side of the coach and the afternoon shade on the passenger side of the coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote