Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #1

Question MH Garage - Site Prep and Installation Cost?

Hi. My better half and I are thinking about a nice Class A DP in the 34-38 ft range. Since my wife's daughter owns a working farm, we're thinking of storing it there.

While it would be great to have a lovely, enclosed, heated MH garage, since we live in the Seattle area that seems a bit over the top. It doesn't get that cold here, but it rains a lot in the winter. So one of those open metal carports may work and would fit in nicely with the other metal buildings on the farm.

I'm thinking maybe an 18 X 45 to maybe 18 X 60 would work. Cost for a kit looks to be between $2,000 to $4000, not including installation and site prep. And that's the question...

For one of these simple, metal carports with partial sides and open ends, what is a rough estimate of the cost for prepping a site (gravel base on level ground) and then installing the carport?

Thanks for any feedback.

Regards,

Dan.
Dan_public is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DIY or totally hired out?

If DIY depends on size of the pad and is there any driveway also needed to get to the pad? How much escavation is needed? Are you going to use ground anchors or attach to concrete footings? Need to have this info before estimating labor and materials.

If going to hire out the whole job, then get 3 or 4 bids from contractors.

I have a DG parking and driveway area I put in several years ago that has held up well. Walking trails, driveways, etc. are often done with DG. You can get it with an adhesive mixed in that makes it even harder.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Make it 18 x 60, since you will graduate to a longer motorhome before too long. Design it so it can be enclosed later, and still be able to get all the slides out AND walk around inside. And make sure you can fit a 14' entry door on top of the finished floor. All this is a recurring theme on the forums, people tend to not plan for (inevitable) upgraded coach which will come along later. You don't have to build it all now, just plan for it. No one has ever built a storage building too large!! Enjoy!
Old 08-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
DIY or totally hired out?

If DIY depends on size of the pad and is there any driveway also needed to get to the pad? How much escavation is needed? Are you going to use ground anchors or attach to concrete footings? Need to have this info before estimating labor and materials.

If going to hire out the whole job, then get 3 or 4 bids from contractors.

I have a DG parking and driveway area I put in several years ago that has held up well. Walking trails, driveways, etc. are often done with DG. You can get it with an adhesive mixed in that makes it even harder.
I knew my post would generate questions! The learning process starts. These are excellent questions.

I need to do some research before responding further, but I was thinking of hiring it out since my back is not what it used to be.

But... What is "DG"? (Folks here use lots of acronyms and I'm still trying to figure out some of them.)

Thanks and regards,

Dan.
Dan_public is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_public View Post
I knew my post would generate questions! The learning process starts. These are excellent questions.

I need to do some research before responding further, but I was thinking of hiring it out since my back is not what it used to be.

But... What is "DG"? (Folks here use lots of acronyms and I'm still trying to figure out some of them.)

Thanks and regards,

Dan.
Decomposed Granite Driveway Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel, and Decor
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install