Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
MH pulsing while pulling hill.

I have a 1998 Diplomat 275 hp Cummins w/Allison MD 3060. Took mh to Pacific Power in WA. state Allison to check on shifting hard. Had tranny shift point changed when exhaust brake on from 3rd to 4th last year. Tech said all normal but felt surging/pulsing when pulling hill and loss of power for size of hill. Another tech checked with laptop and identified fuel lift pump pressure fluctuating and boost pressure sensor not reading correct. They replaced both and fuel filter, rechecked with laptop all ok. Took for test drive surging still there only while pulling hill. Rechecked with laptop now ECM is asking to get reprogrammed "foot printed". Only Cummins can fix and recommend not to drive. They say they did not foot print coach. I get stuck with $1000 of trouble shooting and repairs, Good Sam sent tow truck to haul to Cummins NW in Portland.Tow truck driver did not reinstall driveline? Cummins say's having trouble installing driveline and will cost $ for driveline to reinstall as they are having trouble reinstalling. Good Sam is taking care of that bill.Feel like Pacific Power should have stepped up some. Cummins NW did offer to send a tech to reprogram ECM but coach was on hook already and they even offered to lower price to reprogram. Why is MH pulsing during climb but goes away if I let off gas a bit?

macielcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
Pond Piggies Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bad injector? Or fuel filters?

1996 HR Endeavor LE, 5.9 Cummins 230hp
Hartford, WI
Yaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
Rexhall Owners Group
You say Pacific Power replaced the lift pump and fuel filter then, I would make sure that the line is clear from the tank otherwise, you may be having injector pump issues which could have been caused by a bad lift pump supplying low fuel pressure. Either way Cummins should be able to pin point the problem. Good luck.

Martin Picke'
1998 Rexhall Anthem 34' DP, Cummins ISB, Allison 5 speed, Spartan Chassis, 300 watts solar.
MartinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
you didn't say what kind of rpm you're pulling when it is surging. if you're up against the upper rpm of the engine the computer might be shutting you down to stop over rev. then when the rpms drop the computer says ok lets go. if thats not the way you drive sounds like a fuel problem. i'd install a presure gauge so i could monitor fuel presure when surging.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
You might have hit the nail on the head wonderer1. I pick up the coach today and go up the same hill by my house, I will look at RPM's. I never did get a code or anything. I might be asking to much of the 275 HP for a 24,000 pound coach? other than hills coach moves great with no indication of injection problem? Hope I don't eat my words. I will report on findings, Thanks all.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Fuel lift pump was the problem. Can't say I notice a hp gain but no more pulsing. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by macielcrew View Post
Fuel lift pump was the problem. Can't say I notice a hp gain but no more pulsing. Thanks for the suggestions.
Glad you got it fixed, and thank you for reporting back with the resolution.

Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote