RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #1

MH Slide Info Needed, Please

We are looking to purchase a motorhome. (Total Newbies....!) We also want to live in it, next to our house, for several months while our home is being remodeled. However, the space next to our house is limited. Are there any manufacturer restrictions/rules, etc., regarding how far you must put out the slide for it to work properly and/or to keep the seals tight?
We would appreciate any help you can give us. Thanks!

AZ NormaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2018, 04:29 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Slides don't seal if only partially extended. They also are more stable when fully extended because the stops on the frame provide support in the full out position. You will have air and insect gaps if not fully deployed and will have trouble heating and cooling the RV efficiently.

A search of the forum using the search box with the Google logo will find other threads on the topic.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #3

I would ask the dealer and/or the manufacturer of whatever make/model you choose, and ask about warranty coverage if there are any problems caused by partial deployments of the slide(s). You might be surprised at how many different answers you might get.
Winterbagoal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:55 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Take careful measurements and you may find a unit that will meet your needs with slides fully extended. I would not be comfortable with my slides being partially out for aN extended period. Many slide systems require full extension before retraction due to motor synchronization.
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:38 PM   #5

Make sure you buy one that is totally functional with all slides in. Some rvs will have a wider slide on the drivers side with the couch and table arrangement. Some also have a smaller slide on the passenger side that is the kitchen counter area. Maybe you can get one of these types, and only deploy the kitchen side. They generally tend to only be about 12 inches, compared to the dining room side, which tend to be about 30 inches or so. Many of the bedroom slides are only 12 to 20 inches as well. You will have to research each model to know for sure. This would allow you the extra foot or so in the kitchen, and still be able to deploy the bedroom slide. How many slides were you considering. It would be a shame to sacrifice what you really want, for a temporary situation.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

Slides don't seal if only partially extended. They also are more stable when fully extended because the stops on the frame provide support in the full out position. You will have air and insect gaps if not fully deployed and will have trouble heating and cooling the RV efficiently.

A search of the forum using the search box with the Google logo will find other threads on the topic.
Wrong, many higher end motorhomes with slides, have a inflatable bladder type of seal, [kind of like an innertube] that inflates when you stop the slide or deflates before you move it. Handy if you do not have room to fully extend your slide. It will inflate and seal up the gap between the slide out and the coach body in any position. You will pay for it though, many Newell's, Foretravels, Country Coach and Prevost conversions, use this system,not cheap if you need to replace the bladder.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:01 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Wrong, many higher end motorhomes with slides, have a inflatable bladder type of seal, [kind of like an innertube] that inflates when you stop the slide or deflates before you move it. Handy if you do not have room to fully extend your slide. It will inflate and seal up the gap between the slide out and the coach body in any position. You will pay for it though, many Newell's, Foretravels, Country Coach and Prevost conversions, use this system,not cheap if you need to replace the bladder.
I don't think I'm wrong because you're only talking about extremely expensive RVs. You also didn't address the second point I made that if the slide isn't fully deployed it might have a support issue since it has to be fully extended to be supported properly. The OP said they're planning to live in the RV for a period of time while their house is worked on. I wouldn't recommend a new RV owner to live in the RV with the slides only partially extended. He also stated he would be parked in a place where he couldn't extend the slide all the way. Many slide manufacturers caution not to run the slide out only partially because it should be fully extended before retraction. Some slide mechanisms won't retract properly and it might suffer alignment issues if not fully extended before retraction. Of course, I'm sure Newell, Provost, and the like don't suffer such mundane problems.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I don't think I'm wrong because you're only talking about extremely expensive RVs. You also didn't address the second point I made that if the slide isn't fully deployed it might have a support issue since it has to be fully extended to be supported properly. The OP said they're planning to live in the RV for a period of time while their house is worked on. I wouldn't recommend a new RV owner to live in the RV with the slides only partially extended. He also stated he would be parked in a place where he couldn't extend the slide all the way. Many slide manufacturers caution not to run the slide out only partially because it should be fully extended before retraction. Some slide mechanisms won't retract properly and it might suffer alignment issues if not fully extended before retraction. Of course, I'm sure Newell, Provost, and the like don't suffer such mundane problems.
Sorry. did not see that the OP set a budget. You can buy a new or old cheaply built rv or you can buy an old well built rv. Your choice. I have an old rv, [2003] that has the ability to move the slides to where you want them and not worry about any other problems. My advice is to buy the best quality coach you can afford, I know my old 2003 is probably a lot cheaper to buy than many newer coaches, but I can extend my slides to where I want without worries. Can see your point with some slides, but to me, worth it to buy a coach where I do not have not have to worry about it.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:36 AM   #9

Welcome to the forum!

I'm with Bob. I would make vewy, vewy sure that that the manufacturer blesses the use of partially extended slides. Decide how much room that you comfortably have to extend the slide closest to the house and where the opposite side of the coach would be and start from there.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #10

We are looking at the Thor Palazzo, which has 2 slides.
AZ NormaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:58 PM   #11

Just for the record, Prevost later model factory installed slide rooms will fill or release the air-seals only when completely closed or completely extended (not halfway, etc.).

I just read this info in the manual the other day when I was looking for something else but was also told that during the PDI.

Mark
Old 11-09-2018, 10:21 PM   #12

Thor uses the LCI power mechanism that is not designed to be stopped at any point during operation until full extension and retraction. Also, the slide design uses the top of the slide room resting against the wall inside to support the slide room.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Others have covered it but noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide