Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
MH thermostat goes haywire?

Thermostat set us heat pump. Inside temp sitting at 72, thermostat set to 73. All of a sudden, inside temp reading drops to 67 and both heat pump and gas furnace fire up. Of course, the inside temp did not drop to 67. I have a separate indoor/outdoor temp gauge and when this happened, it said 72. Any ideas what's happening?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1454685947.034490.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	118324

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #2

Is it doing it all the time or was it just the one time? If it's doing it all the time you may have a bad thermostat. A little more info would be helpful.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #3
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Is it doing it all the time or was it just the one time? If it's doing it all the time you may have a bad thermostat. A little more info would be helpful.

Very infrequently, maybe one other time. Now, as I thought about this further, this happened at 7am. The temps here in Tampa dropped into the low 40's. I understand that if it's too cold out side for the heat pump to be efficient, they will shut off and the gas furnace will start? But for me, it doesn't explain the sudden and incorrect drop in temp reading. I also understand that if there is a several degree difference between actual air temp in coach vs what the thermostat is set to, this will also cause gas to be used. But there was no reason for the delta. The heat pumps were doing their job throughout the night. When I awoke, temp in the coach was 1 degree different than the thermostat setting.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:51 AM   #4

Is it cold inside the wall? Could opening the entrance door suck a cold blast of air from inside the wall across the thermostat? Loose connection in thermostat making or read colder than it should? Strange...

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:52 PM   #5

I have the same thermostat in a 2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road and have erratic temperatures on the thermostat. At times the temp will be about 20 deg off but then goes erratic and changes from 55 to 32 to 75, etc. Call to Tiffin, indicates that remote temperature sensor is bad and needs to be replaced. The sensor in my coach is mounted next to one of the return air vents in the ceiling.

As an attempt at a workaround, I have cycled 12v power on/off a few times; then pulled cover on thermostat and pulled/replaced fuse. After doing the fuse pull 2 or 3 times, temperature appears to be stable. My guess is that this is just blind luck and has not really "reset" anything in the thermostat.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
B52, I've been looking for the remote sensor but no luck. You're right, I need to call tiffin. This hasn't happened again and I also turned off the 12 volt supply but that seems like wishful thinking. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:12 PM   #7

Our 07 Discovery has small white plastic temp sensors, one for front furnace (zone 1), and one in the rear (zone 2). Little white discs, about size of a quarter mounted on wall.
Only issue I have is with zone 1. When on heat the forward furnace fan will come on for about 2 seconds then turn off. Odd eh?
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:20 AM   #8

I had the same t stat on my American Eagle. It would go erratic as well. They do pick up interference from cell phones (so I was told) I installed a choke in line to the wiring loom and it took care of the issue for the most part. Every so often it would go haywire and I would have to pull the fuse. When reinstalling the fuse I went through a sequence of moving the switches to reprogram the remote. If you speak to Tiffen ask them about the choke (basically a filter that just plugs inline with the T stat) and the programming sequence after pulling the fuse.

Also, don't plug your cell phone in next to the t stats when charging them.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:43 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well.. I'm fond of saying that many RVers have a few screws loose, we are also plagued by loose nuts... Of course I'm speaking of screws and nuts that hold the wires and connections that distribute our power.

In this case it sounds like what we Electroincs types call a cold solder joing (Bad solder joint) inside the controller. But if you have REMOTE sensors. see first paragraph.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My thermastat occasionally has to be rebooted by turning off 12v power at coach batteries.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #11
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
My thermastat occasionally has to be rebooted by turning off 12v power at coach batteries.

Mine hasn't acted up since I took the 12v away from the thermostat. But it makes no sense to me why that would resolve anything.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #12

Gremlins.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:59 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In the past 2 years we have gone through 3 thermostats and 4 upper unit control control boards. Thankfully, NuWa (Kansas RV Center) footed the bill for the parts and labor. We had the last ones installed last September and they have been behaving properly since then.

Seems that this Thermostat is not exactly known for the lack of problems.

We found in changing from heat to cool, move the stat to the off position for a period of time ...1 minute and them change settings. One thing to do is to remove the cover and pull the fuse for 1 minute. Also remove the primary fuse for the stat and the furnace and give it a chance to reset. It may or may not help.

Also make sure that the stat is feed from a totally separate fused circuit at the fuse block. Even if it means running a totally separate line from the battery.

Good luck.

Ken
Old 02-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #14

Hmmmm, I'm wondering id DC voltage fluctuations would cause issues? Perhaps a DC to DC converter to keep voltage exactly something like 12.5VDC. My voltage goes between 12.0 to 14.9

mchero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat