Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #15

its something that you well have to balance out, remember after you spend$$$ its gone!
I had TT . fw(moms) and like them both fw towed better. I deceided on mh just so everone could be together,when on the road(last trip was 9800kms)(4 of us), the problem was I couldnt find a mh with the floor plan i wanted, and to go to fishing holes and other bush spots,(we camp not just rv) ground clearance had to be good. after lots of looking, I converted a school bus40 ft does what we need, goes anywhere,easy to work on,this works for me, (im not a hippie, just like building my own stuff) I could buy a dp if need be, but i cant see myself driveing to my fishing holes in it, anyway point is what ever you get it has to be for you and your family, mh keep familys together,
just my 2 cents

gbstewart

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
MH, 5th wheels, pickups, toads, travel trailers are all depreciating assets. Buy the one that you can afford to lose! I have owned the all. From the tent to my new 2012 Winnebago. Never made a cent on any of them but lost the least on the tent! THe tent also cost the least to maintain and just as with the 31ft 5'r I always wanted the next best one. In boats we called it two foot itis!
I know that people do move around while traveling in their MH but we always try not to and will pull over first! Accidents happen quickly and if someone is up and not restrained by a seatbelt, they are asking for trouble. Thinking that it is easy to use the head rather than stoping at a rest stop is a mistake in my thinking!
Although I no longer own one, I believe that you get the most for your money from a 5 th wheel. One that can be pulled safely by a 3/4 ton pickup. The 3/4 ton with 4 doors and a long box will be the smoothest riding and hold it's resale best. It also requires the deepest garage! Having the right sized tow vehicle is important. You can pull a very large trailer with a small truck with a big engine but when it comes time to stop that thing quickly, like in an emergency on wet roads, it is time to have that bigger truck with heavier brakes and bigger springs and suspension.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:45 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2RV View Post
We're thinking of doing the same thing. We currently own a 40' Fleetwood Providence (2003) and would like to sell it and buy a used FW toyhauler for our golf cart and a used truck. However, we're having a problem with our negative equity in our motorhome! We need $89,000 for payoff, but they only want to give us $40,000 or $50,000 for trade! Looks like we'll have to try to sell it outright. Any advice out there? How did all of you handle the negative equity?? We've put many upgrades into it (3 LCD's, including a 40' in the outside bay, Wineguard Trav'ler, new Michelin tires, etc.) which they don't take into consideration when talking trade.
it looks like you are going to have to keep your moho. maybe buy a trailer for your toys to tow behind your moho?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2RV View Post
We're thinking of doing the same thing. We currently own a 40' Fleetwood Providence (2003) and would like to sell it and buy a used FW toyhauler for our golf cart and a used truck. However, we're having a problem with our negative equity in our motorhome! We need $89,000 for payoff, but they only want to give us $40,000 or $50,000 for trade! Looks like we'll have to try to sell it outright. Any advice out there? How did all of you handle the negative equity?? We've put many upgrades into it (3 LCD's, including a 40' in the outside bay, Wineguard Trav'ler, new Michelin tires, etc.) which they don't take into consideration when talking trade.
Yesterday, driving down the highway, i saw a great set up behind a large DP... It was a car dolly modified to hold a golf cart in front of the car... It looked very solid, and what a great way to solve 2 problems... I'll be you'd be able to find one in a similar set up - If thats what you're looking to do...
I've seen the Toy Haulers, ALL OF THEM, and NONE of them have spoken to me - they are weekend get-aways that are almost to big to pull around... And not attractive as a full timers unit...Its a problem...
I would try and sell it outright, no Dealers - It may take you a while, and you WON'T get Blue Book for it because consumers aren't paying blue book prices... so you'll probably eat a considerable amount (which i know i couldn't afford to do) So, IMHO, i'd keep it and tow the golf cart...
TheBeachHous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #19

Bruce, I thought I recognized your name, and then I looked at your signature!

You are looking at the same issues we are. When we started out talking about being full-timers, we thought in terms of a fifth wheel. We quickly learned that those that are suitable for full-time use are pretty heavy. Even buying truck and trailer used we would be hard pressed to stay within our budget.

Motorhomes were originally pretty low on the list due to initial cost and poor fuel economy. When we started running numbers, though, we found that a motorhome and small car for a toad ended up using the least amount of fuel when we compared fuel used by or with the RV and fuel used without the RV. For our purposes, we figured on 5000 miles with the RV and 10,000 miles without.

My biggest concern with a motorhome is that we would want to buy it about a year before I retire, and during that year it won't get much use. As others have said, and you well know, being able to pull into a campsite, push a few buttons, and be set can be quite valuable when it is pouring down rain. Another plus is that most motorhomes have generators, so they are truly self-sufficient. That makes them useful when severe weather is threatening or has hit.
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #20

We went the other way....from a 5er to a MH.....& would never consider going back. Having said that I would never own a MH if my plans we to let it sit for months on end.

Our 5er was great when we were on the road, but I could never get comfortable with the fact that it outweighed the tow vehicle 2-1. If anything happened to the 5er it was taking us in the truck down with it...with our MH it outweighs our tow car by 10-1.

I could also never get comfortable with jackknife parking +55' of rig into narrow CG sites. Our MH + car rolls at around the same length, but when you arrive at the CG off comes the car and you only have 37' of a simple car-like unit to park.

I am also not a truck guy & found having to drive 20' of pick-up around town a big pain! Parking garages, strip mall lots, etc, etc... No thanks.

Have seen some of the new 5er's and their floor plans rock!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #21

Went from a Class A to a 5th wheel. No going back. Lot's more room, cheaper to buy and maintain and you have a vehicle to drive without towing anything extra. Break down and you can stay at "home" while the tow vehicle gets fixed. No motel rooms, packing up and living at the dealership. 12 MPG and under $50,000 invested. $85 oil changes, $220 tires and did I say 12 MPG? To each his own but for me it's a 5th wheel.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Get an enclosed trailer for the golf cart, add acouple kayaks, some fishing gear, etc. Now the decision becomes, Toad or Trailer? I wouldn't even think about trying to sell a dp motor home in this economy! But then again I haven't even had mine for a year yet! All s right now. Any and all rving is better than being in a hotel/motel bed as far as I'm concerned!
Good Luck with Your choice 5er or mh both are good.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #23

MH to 5ver

We have had several motorhomes and full timed in a Country Coach. When we settled down, we traded it in for a 5ver and traded in our Tahoe for a big truck.
The 5ver was more practical since it would be sitting and winterized at our home in South Dakota. The 5ver is nice but we sure miss the amenities of the motorhome.

5 years later we have the house up for sale and going to go back to full timing. When the house sells we'll trade in the truck and trailer for another motorhome. To us it is much easier to travel in and set up.
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:46 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueMac View Post
We have had several motorhomes and full timed in a Country Coach. When we settled down, we traded it in for a 5ver and traded in our Tahoe for a big truck.
The 5ver was more practical since it would be sitting and winterized at our home in South Dakota. The 5ver is nice but we sure miss the amenities of the motorhome.

5 years later we have the house up for sale and going to go back to full timing. When the house sells we'll trade in the truck and trailer for another motorhome. To us it is much easier to travel in and set up.
welcome to the irv2 forum.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #25

Thanks Dan,

I was here before, but for some reason my old log in and PW wouldn't work, so had to join again.

Sue
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeachHous View Post
Yesterday, driving down the highway, i saw a great set up behind a large DP... It was a car dolly modified to hold a golf cart in front of the car... It looked very solid, and what a great way to solve 2 problems... I'll be you'd be able to find one in a similar set up - If thats what you're looking to do...
I've seen the Toy Haulers, ALL OF THEM, and NONE of them have spoken to me - they are weekend get-aways that are almost to big to pull around... And not attractive as a full timers unit...Its a problem...
I would try and sell it outright, no Dealers - It may take you a while, and you WON'T get Blue Book for it because consumers aren't paying blue book prices... so you'll probably eat a considerable amount (which i know i couldn't afford to do) So, IMHO, i'd keep it and tow the golf cart...
I have one of those tow dolly's. It is made by Race city in North Carolina. You can tow a car, motor cycle or a golf cart. They make a bigger one that can carry two motor cycles. so i think carrying two ATV would work.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #27

We have had travel trailers, Class C, fifth wheels, and now a Class A dp. We had always thought more room in the fifth wheel. However now with 4 slides in our Class A we feel we have all the room we need. I find Class A easier to drive and park than 5th wheel, easier to set up than 5th wheel, DW finds Class A more comfortable than sitting in diesel truck. For us it's the Class A all the way but for others it's not. It's great w have choices.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #28

MH or 5er

Never had a 5er but watch most of them blocking up the tires on the low side to level after parking. I really like being able to go to the bathroom while we are moving down the road. I carry a 2006 scion xb on an 18' car hauler so I can back up instead of unhooking when I get into a tight spot. I have everything I want on it. It is old with no slides to leak but its 102" wide. 1994 Safari well built coach. You should be able to by a comparable one now days for around 30,000. I get 10 mpg with car and trailer in tow. It has a full basement I can crawl from oneside to the other. It is 34' long and only weighs 22,500lbs. Under 26,000lbs with car and trailer. Also sits lower to the ground than a 5th wheel which seems to me like a sail in the wind.