Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #43
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
I sure would like to see 12 mpg pulling my fifth wheel. Also to consider if you do alot of touriing around when you get to your destination is that not only is Diesel more expensive, but so is servicing a 1-ton diesel truck vs a smaller toad.

We have a 5'er now, but when we get ready to seriously hit the road in another 20 months it will be in a Class A pulling a Jeep Liberty.

Pros and cons to both sides of this, the only thing is to get what works for you and to enjoy it. Both will do the job, it;s just what works for you.
Cause either way it's gonna cost money.

But then so does living in a Stix and Bricks.
I get 12 - 13 mpg in FL and on flat lands with no head wind. I get 9 - 10 in the mountains. I also put $3000 in the motor to let it breath better and help it get better millage. My MH got 6.4 on the flats and God knows what in the mountains.

I can change the oil in my F-350 for $75 at Wal-Mart. How much does it cost to change the oil in a MH? $200 - $250? or more plus the toads oil changes. My tires bought/balanced and mounted are $240 each. A MH tire is at least $450 and toad tires are around $175.

I drove semi for years so the size of the F-350 isn't a big deal. I really like the fact that if the truck breaks down I can still live in my 5th while it's getting repaired and not have to get a motel room with bed bugs and even more costs and live at the dealership.

Plus, I haul my Harley so touring is usually with a 45 mpg vehicle. When I'm not on the road my wife's mustang is our daily driver.

There are a lot of Pros and cons to both sides and I guess it's what trips your trigger and what you can afford.

MRBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #44
Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
X2 what MRBB said...I have a Dodge Cummins Turbo pulling a 13K 5er... 9-14 mpg towing 18-22 not towing, use Amsoil @ 10,000 mile or 2x a year changes @ $100, no $3,000 mods. Works for me.

chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #45
Same here with a 2003 Dodge CTD towing a 12k 37' 5th wheel, usually average about 12 or so in the flats with no wind, as low as 10 with a strong headwind and 14-15 with a tailwind (but for some reason there always seem to be more headwinds than tailwinds ).

For me the biggest factor between Class A and 5th wheel is operating cost... fuel costs are bad enough as it is (and sure to get worse) and I just couldn't stomach at least 40% less mileage while underway. And since diesel pickup trucks actually do pretty well in terms of mileage when empty the difference between that and most toads just doesn't really add up to much. The second factor regarding operating costs has also already been mentioned: you can hardly throw a rock and not hit a Chevy/Ford/Dodge dealer just about anywhere in the country, try that when you need service on a Class A DP, and even when you find it you're gonna pay (yeah, you can always buy a service contract, just throw more money in the heap.) I like the freedom of knowing that I can get competitively-priced service almost anywhere and have a place to live if parts availability/etc. keeps the vehicle down for some days.

As has been said, to each his own and Class A's definitely have their own unique advantages, but I think it's a fantasy to say that they're not a lot more expensive to own and operate in just about every regard. But then again I guess the best solution to any RV issue is money.
smiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #46
5th wheel

We have had mhs and 5th wheels, recently sold mh and went back to 5th wheel which is our preference, maintenance ,etc. Is much less with the 5th wheel, we don't worry if it sits for a while. It is much less to worry about, we have better laid out floor plan and more room, our truck rides a good as a car, gas mileage is much better, less money for tags, advalorum and insurance, just much better en every way for us. With the mh there was always something that needed doing.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #47
Monaco Owners Club
The way I see it those who want a Class A will go that route and those who want a 5'er will go that way, it;s one of the advantages of living in a free county we can choose, either way works and they both let you travel and see some country, pros and cons to both and we all have our own reasons for going the route we want.

Just enjoy what you have.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
I love everything about my motorhome... I loved my first 99 pace arrow, and the Knight is just out of this world.

To each their own for sure, but for me it's not about money, and a fw is "just a trailer"

JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote