Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #29

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick J Fisher:
I had read that 12 gauge is ok for the ground as long as the two legs and the neutral are full gauge. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I would throw that book away, The National Electrical Code requires # 10 minimum for the ground reqardless of the other conductor sizes. The equipment ground is sized by the overcurrent protection (ie:breaker rating) in this case 50 amp, but #10 is also required for any circuit that is 30 amp or more not exceding 60 amp. Table 250.122 2005 edition. that aside, it does appear to be a problem with the surgeguard unit. So it works with the 50/30 adapter, but not with the correct 50 amp receptacle?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #30

Hillbilly2 sounds like an electrician!!!!

Wingman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
I don't think it would work with a 50 amp receptacle either. I spoke to Steve Antman at Surgeguard and he said it was unusual (it always is) but the relay may be bad. Send it back for analysis and they will replace as necessary. I will make a few more tests before taking it out. That is a big job.
Rick J Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #32

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wingman02:
Hillbilly2 sounds like an electrician!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Licensed in four states, working on fifth!
Old 10-12-2008, 02:37 PM   #33

Just one state is enough for me!
Wingman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:21 AM   #34

Very welcomed and informative thread by some professional electricians. (Please excuse the length of the post below)

When I first purchased my Newmar MADP I was appalled by the sloppy wiring done by the manufacture on both the AC and DC circuitry. I spent months tryig to at least make sense of and draw a usuable straightline of both systems. My experience is from AC/DC Passenger/Freight elevator Construction and from both Marine and Aircraft Service and repair. (where Electrical wiring is both critical and generally done to a high standard)

One thing I had to be educated about was the (often misleading/mis understood) way that the production RV industry utilizes (shore power) to supply the AC systems in a "motorhome". It also came to my attention that the Motor"coach" industry built on the "Bus" chassis do thing differently due to the fact that they utilize "home" appliances built around 220/115VAC power.

From my "re-education" from those that are in the know of the RV industry, it was accurately shown to me that one of the MAJOR sources of damage to motorhome AC appliances/circuitry occurs due to the damage originating at the "Power Pedestal" and or mis-wiring at the Coach end.

I have made it a habit to "test" the 50amp service receptical for improper output prior to each connection (using a breakout box) and a load applied to each 110vac leg (the design thanks to the suggestions made by a member of the Newmar Group).

It should be brought out that it is when the "Shared" Nuetral is opened in the pedestal that a (240VAC) volatage will be directed through the 50amp circuit to the 110VAC circuits in the MH. In the past 3 years I have found no less then (4) power pedestals damaged and (when allowed) by the park-manager) cover removed found the Nuetral connection burned/loose or in one instance (completely) open due to overheating.

It might be noted that this happened at a "older" CG that was in poor maintenance in many regards.

I would encourage ALL OF US to develop the discpline to be sure that the load is removed from the Coach and the power pedestal breaker closed prior to making any connection/disconnection from the Shore power so not to put a surge on either side of the connection. (AS WELL DO NOT)connect to a receptacle that is loose in its mounting or has any damage to the receptacle!

Also if when connected to 50amp service ,you experience any problem with your high current draw appliances (don't just assume that it is "your" equipment failing.

Sorry for the long post, and again thanks for the information provided by this forum/thread!

T Randall
2003-MADP