Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2015, 08:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady puffin View Post
We are sitting still in Wa. I now have a mouse problem. I have stuffed the entrance for the black water hose exit. Checked under the slides. We keep the doors to the bays closed except when we absolutely need to get into them. Where else can the sneaky dirty little devils get in? I am going looking for something that isn't poison as I have a dog and next door are three more in the am. If I didn't have to worry about the dogs, I would put out Tomcat and let them eat to their hearts content.
There is a solution to using mouse poison around pets. One of our members posted a bait station he made from PVC pipe that is pet-proof. Pictures and instruction here

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2015, 08:59 PM   #16

One good way to find the mouse- sized entrances into your motor home is to turn on all the inside and storage bay lights one night , then crawl around underneath and look for any gleams of light. Use steel wool to fill holes and cracks- mice won't chew through it. Anything larger than the diameter of a pencil needs to be chinked.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Google(yes it's a verb) 5 gallon bucket mouse trap. Very easy to make(requires a bucket, a coat hanger/wire, a beer or soda can and peanut butter) and very effective. I used one in my pump house where the little buggers were safe from my cats,,,,took care of the problem. You can use water or for no smell, anti-freeze in the bucket.
Wanted to say Thanks . Read your post, hit Youtube, am now the proud owner of 2-5 gallon bucket traps, both are fully depolyed with peanut butter, can't wait to see the results.

The funny thing while I was building these is just the sheer simplicity of this type of a trap. Thanks again.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #18

Bounce dryer sheets in all cupboards keep mice out of our MH all winter
Old 05-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks everyone for all the tips. Did find a product that is made by Shake Away called "Mouse Repellent " has cedar,mint and rosemary oils in convenient paks. My DH was also talking to a forest guy and he told him to mix plaster of Paris and oatmeal together. Place it in a container that is closed,but has entrances (tubes)that the mice can crawl up to feed. They use pvc pipe and get creative. I like the pepper mint oil and dryer sheets for linen and clothing areas. Again thanks for all the great ideas. I will win this battle.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:01 PM   #20

This sticky pad traps work well. We used them for mice and then had a pack rat caught in one. He was too big and strong for the sticky surface but he did leave his tail behind
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Wanted to say Thanks . Read your post, hit Youtube, am now the proud owner of 2-5 gallon bucket traps, both are fully depolyed with peanut butter, can't wait to see the results.

The funny thing while I was building these is just the sheer simplicity of this type of a trap. Thanks again.
Keep us posted...I know you will be amazed at how well they work. If you use water & just check them daily you can dump or bury the "body's" anyplace and they become part of the food chain.

My primary rodent line of defense are two brothers we rescued as kittens on the side of the road.

They live in and around my 50x30 shop and every other day I see results like this:

I still keep the bucket trap around for use in my outbuildings when the need arises.

A good rodent is a dead rodent..........
Old 05-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
+1 on steel wool around any gaps. Just stuffing material around any wires, plumbing etc. won't work because the mice will just chew through it and pull the rest out to make nesting material! They won't chew or pull out steel wool, though. If you can work peppermint oil into the steel wool, even better.

Traps work well, and peanut butter is great for baiting them. But check them frequently because you'll want to get rid of any mice you trap before the smell starts...

If you have neighborhood cats, make nice with them! Where we park our motorhome alongside the house seems to be a favorite stopping place for the local cats to socialize -- we see kitty paw prints in the snow going underneath it from all directions. And never any mice!
Old 05-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alnron View Post
Bounce dryer sheets in all cupboards keep mice out of our MH all winter
We used bounce our first year of winter storage (2013/14 winter) and had NO mice at all. This past year (2014/15 winter) I got lazy and used generic dryer sheets and MICE droppings everywhere and they chewed up tissues, TP, paper plates, etc... Luckily they didn't damage any wires.

They are gone now and we did not see any but still picked up some no kill traps and some fresh cab.

Lesson learned next year use BOUNCE..
jason1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:04 PM   #24

I have had good results from peppermint oil. It is cheaper to get it in the spice section of the grocery store.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:30 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
I had mice two years in a row until I switched to Peppermint. No problens for 5 years after that. And it smells much nicer for resale than moth balls
Old 05-16-2015, 08:46 AM   #26

Use glue traps. Mice tend to hug the walls when they walk so place them along the walls. When you catch one of the little buggers you just toss the whole board away. I also use Fresh Cab repellent on the interior. Go under your trailer and check for any entrance points, like around propane lines etc. Stuff the opening with copper wool which will not rust and fill the holes with Great Foam with pestblock. I also use Shakeaway granules around the tires, stabilizers and tongue jack.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #27

use bounce dryer sheets smell nice to us but mice hate them use them for winter storage in my coach never any mice put them in where these mice are coming in
Old 05-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Update: we finally got the little stinker. Hubby got the Tomcat mouse attractant gel,one drop and about an hour later. Snap,thumping and silence. DH removed the mouse. We reset, but no more takers. Least not yet.