Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #15

There was far less activity on the bait when I went by yesterday. I moved the traps outside the RV and cleaned up as best I could. I imagine bait, like food attracts the little buggers.

The trouble with a bucket trap is I'd be putting peanut butter in the coach which I know will draw them in. I'll just keep looking for droppings for now
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #16

I was using traps and poison. The traps worked occasionally, the poison seemed to be taking too long. I then installed a 5-gallon trap and it's taken care of all of them. I still get stragglers coming in occasionally but they all go for the 5-gallon trap. I can't recommend it highly enough.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
I would suggest NOT using poison as a dead rodent in a place that you cannot access (to get it out) will leave a stench that you probably won't like.
I second that, don't use poison. I did at first, and regret it. First off, we had a mouse die in a kitchen drawer over the winter and start to decompose. I scrubbed that drawer with bleach, pine sol, OdoBan, a local company's odor control solution, and anything else I could think of. I never could get the smell out of the wood: I ended up building a new drawer box and moving the slide hardware and drawer face onto it.

Then, in the spring, the next time I changed the air filter on the generator, I found the area around the element packed with pine nuts and mouse poison pellets - The poison was disappearing fast: i thought they were gobbling it up, but I guess they were just saving it for later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilleshps View Post
I've been there too, bounce sheets are suppose to deter mice and smell good to boot.
I've found that the mice around here like to make nests out of the Bounce sheets! It must give them nests that are soft, comfy, and smell nice.

Since moving out to the country a few years ago, we've had a big mouse problem. Poison wasn't the answer (see above.) Snap traps are pretty good, but you have to keep up on them. Bounce sheets didn't help. Peppermint oil didn't help. For the last couple of years I've been using EarthKind Fresh Cab repellent. It's not perfect, and you have to keep replacing them periodically, but it has greatly reduced our mouse problems. It also smells nice (like a fresh Christmas tree.)

Edit: Just read up on the 5 gallon mouse trap - that sounds like something I will definitely set up over the winter. Might even keep on in there while parked at home...
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:54 PM   #18

I suggest getting a cat. DW and I live in a very forested area. Our 3 cats ensure no rodents come anywhere near our M/H. Truly the best rodent protection
Ted
Old 07-23-2015, 10:41 AM   #19

Having RV'd since 1970's and generally always boon dock, I can sympathize. In each of our RV's we have had to mouse proof them. In todays units this can be particularly difficult with multiple slides etc. Our present unit a 2001 Bounder Diesel has a large living area slide with compartments that come out with the slide. Tried looking for small openings where they could enter to no avail. Used steel wool, foam etc in places I was sure they could not get in but what to do? Look for the obvious. The mice get on the chassis then on the top of the slide compartments and then on the slide bars which is a freeway to the subfloor area and then all bets are off as there are numerous entry opportunities from there to the living area. How to fix? Put traps around this outside entry on the tops of the slide compartments. Obviously each unit is different but the message is attempt to determine what their path of entry is and then attack with whatever means you have. The newer mouse traps with yellow pads work well without any additional attention. We leave then on the slide even when traveling as they do not fall off. We found a couple of places where if they did make it past the first line of defense they attempted to travel and set a couple of traps inside the living area as backup.
W5tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
A product called Fresh Cab has worked well for our Motorhome. It is packets of natural oils that rodents do not like. We have to restock every few months but we store our Motorhome on our property so it's easy to access.
You can purchase at stores like Rural King or other farm supply store.

Good luck
Old 07-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
You can also order Fresh Cab direct from the manufacturer: http://www.earthkind.com. I'm sure prices vary, but I found their site to be cheaper than the local Tractor Supply store. They also offer a subscription service where they will automatically send out a new order every six months - very handy!
Old 07-23-2015, 02:04 PM   #22

No critter issue here, I think it might be the heat?
Old 07-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Peppermint oil worked for me when nothing else did.
eprman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:25 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the info Shapeshifter! I will order directly from vendor moving forward.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:59 AM   #25

Peppermint oil is the answer! It prevents them from using their sense of smell and therefore they cannot function. I have used it and it works everytime. Just apply 6-8 drops on a cotton ball and place them in locations throughout the coach. They should also be placed in the bays as that's where they are coming from.

Do this and you will not have mice and you will have a nice smelling coach when you get ready to go on your next trip.
sidewinder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
It must vary by mouse. Peppermint oil did nothing for me. :(
Old 07-29-2015, 09:57 PM   #27

I must have highly evolved mice. I know that I have mice in my garage and constructed a 5 gal bucket trap, didn't get a thing, but my dogs thought it was great fun to lick the peanut butter off of the spinning plastic bottle. Snap traps nothing. Finally got one last night with a sticky trap with peanut butter dabbed in the middle.

The jury is still out on who is smarter, the mice or me.

2015 American Revolution 42G

John & Dorene with Lexie, Bailey, Brie (Bernese Mountain Dogs), and Ember (German Shepard Dog)
Old 07-30-2015, 03:43 AM   #28

Get the snap traps with the large yellow bait holder as they do not need bait if placed properly.

Smear peanut butter on them

Place them along walls 90 degrees to wall with bait near wall as they cannot see very well and run along walls.

A 2 X 4 on edge makes a great guide wall to steer them into traps and around things you want them to avoid.

Lots of traps spread out and lots of peanut butter.

If outside tie them to something with good string as we had some vanish.

It seems possums and other critters would grab the "catch of the day" and run off with it.

Found traps in trees and other odd places.

Cleaned and ready to use again.