Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #1

Mice

I apologize if this topic has being beaten to bits all ready. But , moved MH to a new RV storage lot very close to home,great security,it is spotless, hard packed gravel and well organized. Problem is the darn mice ! I have caught five now in traps. Now i have different pellets , scent bags they are supposed to hate , moth balls etc. Checked unit yesterday and i had a mouse. I leave no food in the MH whatsoever. I have heard of battery operated ultra sonic gizmo's that are supposed to work ???? Man oh man ! any help on this would be appreciated ! I keep my MH as clean as possible including storage bays and interior.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #2

FWIW, I have used dryer sheets when storing my hot rod. It seems to keep them out all winter. Takes about a whole box sticking them in every place I can find.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER FAN View Post
I apologize if this topic has being beaten to bits all ready. But , moved MH to a new RV storage lot very close to home,great security,it is spotless, hard packed gravel and well organized. Problem is the darn mice ! I have caught five now in traps. Now i have different pellets , scent bags they are supposed to hate , moth balls etc. Checked unit yesterday and i had a mouse. I leave no food in the MH whatsoever. I have heard of battery operated ultra sonic gizmo's that are supposed to work ???? Man oh man ! any help on this would be appreciated ! I keep my MH as clean as possible including storage bays and interior.
I hate to rain on your parade, but nothing is fool proof in open air storage. I have been racking my brain for years over this and nothing is 100percent effective. I live in a rural setting and have been able to witness many things that mice and rats do that would amaze you. They can get through the traps on toilets, they jump very well. I got many scratch marks on frames of 1ton trucks where they have been jumping up trying to get in. They like to make camp inside my air cleaners and a/c boxes, defrosters.1 idea I have wanted to try is to put up a sort of smooth metal "fence" angled at top away from unit -height to be determined, but thinking 2'. The best would be a metalbuilding with concrete and traps at doors. I have tried, urine around perimeter, peppermint and spearmint oil, mothballs, ultrasonic, etc. Buckets catch them. In our warehouse for corn seed, we would put a line of sticky around the perimeter with mixed results. Bottom line- we lose. dime size crack or whole is all they need to get in.Good luck. Sorry, I haven't found the silver bullet.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We've been very lucky in that when I moved to a new open air storage site in back of my mechanic's garage he had a few stray outdoor cats living in the lot. He puts out some food and water for them and they just hang out and pass the time keeping the field mice away.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:58 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We have only had mice in our unit one time, the year the cover on our fiver was loose enough to hit the ground. And I had not used dryer sheets and soap in the trailer.

Last year was the first year with the MH, the cover was strapped so that nothing touched the ground, I put stainless steel in obvious openings. (exhausts, vents, etc) and I put at least a box of dryer sheets and a couple dozen bars of Irish Spring in cupboards, bays, and drawers. Knock wood....things were fine this spring.
On the Road with 7 cats and a lovebird!
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #6

We had mice and bought the sonic gizmo you mentioned. Guess it worked as we no longer have mice. I can't remember the name, but it plugs into a 110 receptacle. I bought them online. They came 3 to a pack.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:26 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have personally seen a mouse nest made of dryer sheets about a foot away from a sonic repellent device when a friend opened his TT in the spring. Consumer Report tested the sonic repellers several years ago and those tested did not work.

The FTC warned manufacturers HERE

Orkin says:
"For rodent control, anecdotal data may indicate that these devices can provide some level of control for a short period of time. But rodents seem to learn to avoid the mechanisms used. Mice quickly become accustomed to regularly repeated sounds. Ultrasonic sounds have limited use in rodent control because they are directional and do not penetrate behind objects. Testing of sound devices shows that about half the sound energy is gone within 15 feet of the device."
Old 08-12-2016, 03:29 PM   #8

I second the bars of Irish Spring soap. We have about a dozen of them in various places and have had no signs of mice. Knock on wood!

1998 Fleetwood: Pace Arrow Vision 36B (Chevy 454)
Old 08-12-2016, 03:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
I have personally seen a mouse nest made of dryer sheets about a foot away from a sonic repellent device when a friend opened his TT in the spring. Consumer Report tested the sonic repellers several years ago and those tested did not work.
True, and I have had them take care of the steel wool also. Mice are curious....and relentless. Field mice are the worst. Little gray miceseem to be controllable at least.Cat, cats, and more cats. Of course, my dog catches 'em too.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:17 PM   #10

This is the best mouse trap ever invented. Your only problem will be disposing of all the dead mice. Place this trap outside of the RV to capture and kill the mice BEFORE they get inside. For outside use in cold temperatures use about 4 to 6 inches of RV Antifreeze in the bucket instead of water.

DIY Five Gallon Bucket Mouse Trap | Gentleman Homestead Consulting
Old 08-13-2016, 10:01 AM   #11

Knowing how they operate helps.

They cannot see well so they usually travel along walls and usually will not try to climb them.

Snap traps placed 90 degrees to said wall does not need bait as the get nailed in passing.

Also available are traps with trap door that allows multiple catch but look for and buy the metal ones as the plastic ones fall apart.

That being said...

Trip to hardware store for hinges that have removable pins.

Next measure the lengths needed to build a wall around your unit.

Buy enough 2 X 4 or 2 X 6 to make one.

Buy enough hinges to connect them together.

Cut to length then butt together and place the hinge across the joint.

Removing the pin makes for easy setup and teardown.

Place stay traps along sides and or box traps.

The box traps need to be baited but once one gets stuck they call their friends.

They will be running across the ground and come across your wall and naturally travel along it looking for food and either get nailed by snap traps or go into box to dine.

Peanut butter is their "crack"
Old 08-13-2016, 06:53 PM   #12
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Take some time and try and follow the water lines that are hidden in the cabinets and such. When they go from compartment to compartment use expanding foam to seal off each compartment. This also goes for any electrical stuff you can see running through the coach. Or coming up from under the coach.

Think things like above the electrical bay or the water bay. Or under the sink area. Or under the bathroom sink area, on and on.

On my camper I know nothing can get into the area where all the electrical power is distributed. If they did. There is no place to go. That holds true for the area where the water tank is and any water line running from say the sink to the shower or bathroom sink area.

Then there is turn on lights at night and crawl under the coach and seal any places light can be seen.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:03 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Had the same problem a few years ago. Used peppermint oil all around the rig and never saw them again. Bought it at GNC and soaked some cotton balls and put them on all the hidden places.

Also - a variation on the 5 gallon bucket trap for chipmunks, we had one or two of them inside as well:
Fill the bucket half way with water.
Cover the water with sunflower seeds.
Put a board/ramp up to the top
sprinkle a few seeds on the board.
When they get to the top, they jump in thinking they hit pay dirt. They cant tell it is water underneath and quickly drown.
Cruel? maybe, but so is having to pay for the damage they cause. I had to replace my pool liner one year because the little @$@^% made a den underneath over the winter. It was large enough to have separate rooms, one for food, one for sleeping and one for waste.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:12 PM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I found these on IRV2, I call them Mouse feeders, I forget who posted them, I'm giving my 2 cents about them and not trying to take the credit, they work great, Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1471201956.007054.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	135891Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1471201971.073338.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	135892so far I haven't seen One mouse dropping in the RV or any of the cargo bays. Three picies of 1 1/2" pvc pipe, a T fitting, a female adapter, and a threaded plug, and a 12" pc. Of 1/4" all thread, 2 nuts and 2 flat washers. The 2 horizontal pcs. are 12", the vertical one is 8". I use Tomcat mouse bait, you thread them on the all thread, and a nut and washer on each end . I put one up against the drivers front and the passenger rear, and cover them with my tire covers.

RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote