Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #1

Mice problems

With cold weather varmints start looking for warm protected places. I found a suggestion of using mouse/rat poison as a way to keep them from up in the wiring in a motor home. Or from building nests in places like the genny. Anyway, be aware that rat/mice poison will also poison pets. We keep our MH at our daughters property and I almost killed their little beagle puppy. I put poison around each tire and left the half empty container at the front steps. They saw the little dog eating something... found the package and headed to the vet. I paid the $270 vet bill and was just glad the puppy recovered!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank goodness they saw the puppy before it was too late!

Good warning to us all. I haven't yet had any mouse issues, but I do store our RV in a storage facility that is (as typical) located in less developed property, so lots of tall grass all around...and potential for unwanted residents. I currently am using small bottles with holes in the lids (some are empty spice bottles!) filled with moth balls in all of my basement compartments. I have some peppermint oil on order from Amazon too, and I plan to dilute that with water and spray a minty path around the whole coach. My hope is that someone else's storage bay will smell better to the rodents than mine! And for us humans, mint is a nicer smell than moth balls!

Old 11-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #3

use traps and spray repellents,if they eat poison and get inside and die in a place where you can't get to,I guess I don't have to tell you about the smell.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use "Decon" mouse food- not traps. They love it, eat it, and usually go out outside for a drink because it makes them real thristy. Then they die.
It works fine for us and also our friends that had a mouse problem while parked next to us in Maine.
I put about 4 open boxes in the bays, all year long.

Good luck,
Old 11-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Thank goodness they saw the puppy before it was too late!

Good warning to us all. I haven't yet had any mouse issues, but I do store our RV in a storage facility that is (as typical) located in less developed property, so lots of tall grass all around...and potential for unwanted residents. I currently am using small bottles with holes in the lids (some are empty spice bottles!) filled with moth balls in all of my basement compartments. I have some peppermint oil on order from Amazon too, and I plan to dilute that with water and spray a minty path around the whole coach. My hope is that someone else's storage bay will smell better to the rodents than mine! And for us humans, mint is a nicer smell than moth balls!
Any health food store will have peppermint oil and Eucalyptus is also good along with tee tree oil, however it is an oil, highly concentrate, and oil and water will not mix .. so you will get globs of oil in places and plain water in others, may I suggest to dilute it to use mineral oil (drugstore) or sweet almond oil (too expensive for your use) but you need a 'carrier' oil with no odour... Great idea and you can use a cotton ball(s) soaked and left in the basement and rub some oil mix around any open holes or around pipes etc... the aroma in the spring when it warms up is wonderful.

(If you use eucalyptus oil the mice won't catch a cold! )

Hopw this helps
Old 11-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post

We use "Decon" mouse food- not traps. They love it, eat it, and usually go out outside for a drink because it makes them real thristy. Then they die.
It works fine for us and also our friends that had a mouse problem while parked next to us in Maine.
I put about 4 open boxes in the bays, all year long.

Good luck
X2 !! on your method.

I use the exact same process and it works 100%.

I have never had to find a smelly leftover body. Once they dine on the pellets, they search out water as the poison dehydrates them from the inside out.

Where I place those little wedges, there is NO way any pet could ever get to them.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Anyone use this??

Mouse Blocker Protecting your car from mice.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #8

We use dryer sheets spread out inside, they smell nice. Got this from a local rv dealer, they do it to all their units on the lot.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #9

Fresh Cab

When the weather cooled, we would have mice move in to the RV. First couple of years with RVs we would have a mouse problem in the winter. Traps and lots of cleaning. Last season we started using Fresh Cab - this is a natural repellant - smells kinda nice to the humans! After using the Fresh Cab we have not had any unwanted critters in the rv. We bought a new box for this winter. You can find it on Amazon. We buy ours at Tractor Supply.

We have 3 cats so we don't want to take the chance on using any type of poison. Sure, we could use the cats for "mousing" but the little mouse critters go in to the rig when it's not in use! And of course, the cats are in the s&b, not in the mh!

When we were in Alaska we did have a mouse come in to the rv when we were in it. About 3am we heard this awful racket & what sounded like the furniture being moved. Of course, we got up to investigate. There, on the inside steps sat a little mouse, visibly shaking due to 3 cats all leaning in at him. DH suggested to the little guy he leave the way he came in. But we assisted him by getting the door open & scooting him out with the broom. He, nor any of his relatives made a visit to us. I think the word was out about the felines in the rig.
3catstravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
Triple E Owners Club
I'm a H U G E proponent of NOT using any poisons at all. Not only is it dangerous to you and your family but your pets as well. For mice, my solution is to put a few drops of Peppermint Essential Oil on cotton balls and place them in the areas that may be interesting to mice or area already inhabited by mice. Only 'down side' is you need to reapply the peppermint oil to the cotton balls every few weeks. Not a big deal to save a life IMO
Old 11-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #11

Victor Electronic Mouse Trap

This works great. If the mouse goes in, he/she never comes out under their own power.
Attached Images

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #12

Commercial Member

Monaco Owners Club
We find Fresh Cab does the trick - works well, keeps them out and doesn't hurt anything!
Downsizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Try using moth balls or cinnamon spice. Both maintain a strong enough scent to last for a month or two to keep the critters away.

Dave
Old 12-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
We have tried about everything we could find and still had mice. We put out dryer sheets as suggested and they built their nests out of them. We cut up bars of Irish Spring soap as suggested and believe it or not they ate the soap. We put out mothballs in all of the bays, still had mice inside. we even did all of this at the same time, still had mice. We had the coach empty of all food and had anything they could tear up in cabinets that could not be entered. THEN we were told about the Black and Decker Ultrasonic boxes, we bought two at $45 each. we keep one plugged in inside and one plugged in underneath. In two years of the coach parked in the same place as before we have had no mice, none in the interior and none in the bays. Now I amy walk ouside today and there may be a mouse party going on, but nothing at all last year and so far nothing at all this year.
I am curious this year however how they will work as this year I am keeping the heat on in the coach set to 55 inside and 45 in the bays, so it will be warmer inside. Never before left the heat on, so we shall see.