Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #29

Jim,
Did you ever get your test tires from Michelin? How are they doing for you? Please fill me in on these tires as I am ready to replace and I am looking hard at the 445/50r22.5
Frank
gpuar2000@yahoo.com
Quote:
Originally posted by historyljc:
I'm on the list with Michelin to be part of their test program. Should receive the new tires and rims (provided by Michelin) in 2-3 weeks. I'm interested to see how they will ride as compared to the duals. I'll keep you posted on what I think.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The following is a report on the tires that I emailed to Ellis Johnson at Michelin yesterday.

"Ellis,

My singles were mounted July 14 by Dave Howell Tires here in Pensacola. Based on my axle weight they were inflated to 115 lbs. As of today they have 604 miles on them. These miles include the rough area of I-10 from the Mississippi line to Slidell. They also include the very rough pavement on I-65 around Montgomery, AL. We managed to also be on the road to catch a little bit of TS Fay. The tires performed well in the rain.

Assessment:

Tire pressure is at 115 lbs with no adjustment needed since initial inflation. There were rechecked with my digital air pressure gage to verify the Pressure Pro monitoring system. Checking the air pressure by hand is a breeze compared to the duals.

Ride is much smoother than the duals. All four tires were balanced or rebalanced with Equal at the time of installation. I am enjoying the smoothest ride and best handling since I have owned the coach. A good bit of the improvement in ride and handling can be attributed to the SuperSteer Motion Control Units installed in March and the Koni shocks installed in June. The Fat Boys put the icing on the cake.

We are not able to do the Hershey, PA., show. BJ just started a new diet and I'm not taking her anywhere near there. We are leaving Saturday going up to Red Bay to have some paint issues addressed and possibly get out of the way of Gustav. He's probably going to be a bad boy by the time he hits the gulf coast. That will put another 7 - 8 hundred miles or more on the tires depending on where we go from there. I believe there is a place in Red Bay where we can get a four corner weight.

For the future, we have reservations to attend the FCOC Southeast Area Rally at the Stagecoach RV Park, St Augustine, FL, October 1 - 4. We have made reservations to attend the FMCA International Rally in Perry, GA, in March of 2009 as well as the Allegro Club Rally in Branson, MO in May 2009. In addition we have our monthly Northwest Florida Allegros, Chapter 182, rallies at distances of up to 200 miles round trip. There is a good possibility we will be in the Orlando area around Christmas time. These trips alone will give a several thousand miles test for the tires. Any luck at all, we will be able to head for the far NW after Branson. Have you got anyone going to Alaska on the tires?

If someone inquires concerning the cost of tires and rims, what should we tell them? Is there a contact person (you?) to who we can refer interested parties?

I like the tires, you can't have them back."

That's about all I can say at the moment. I'll do another post after completing some more of the planned trips. If anyone is going to be in the area of one of the places mentioned, feel free to stop by a take a peak. For the FMCA Rally in Perry I'll be staying at Twin Oaks RV Resort in Elko (about 8 miles south of Perry - DW doesn't do "no hook-ups" and I'm a firm believer in the old saying "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" so I try to keep her happy). The Allegro Club Rally will be at America's Best Campground in Branson.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:38 PM   #31

Jim,
Can you give me a call or e-mail me your phone number er: Michelin 445/50R22.5 X-One XRV tires.My e-mail is gpuar2000@yahoo.com
Thanks,
Frank
Quote:
Originally posted by historyljc:
Thank you Route 66. Looks like Michelin is trying to make a major move into the RV market with these tires by putting them out were more RVers can see them.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #32

Dirk,
Need help Can you give me a call at 405-755-3076 or e-mail me your phone number er: Michelin 445/50R22.5 X-One XRV tires.My e-mail is gpuar2000@yahoo.com
Thanks,
Frank
This is my datastorm location
Locate Us
Quote:
Originally posted by Route 66:
I have approved your photos.

However, the link you posted still prompts for a login.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #33

A tire dealer in Oregon just quoted me $1096 plus $31 Fed. excise tax per tire, plus $565 ea for the Alcoa wheels to fit. I like everything I've been reading about these tires, weight reduction, mileage increase, etc. plus significantly tighter turning radius (due to less scrub??)for better maneuverability in tight spots, but man, that's a lot of $$!!
Old 09-17-2008, 03:28 PM   #34
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Approx $3,300 is a lot of money for a few benefits. I would only consider it if I needed all 4 rear tire replaced......but just to upgrade, no.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:14 AM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
A tire dealer in Oregon just quoted me $1096 plus $31 Fed. excise tax per tire, plus $565 ea for the Alcoa wheels to fit
Due to a blow out, I just replaced the right front tire and rim on my coach. New tire, balanced, stem & tax: $578.30. New Accuride rim (these were made specifically for Freightliner and can only be bought through Freightliner): $581.32., for a total of: $1159.62 for a single tire. Had this been for a complete rear dual replacement cost would have been $2319.24 as opposed to the $1692 (as shown above) for the single. Replacement of both rear tires and one rim would cost: $1711.92. How likely are you to lose both tires in a dual at the same time, I have no idea.

Quote:
Approx $3,300 is a lot of money for a few benefits. I would only consider it if I needed all 4 rear tire replaced......but just to upgrade, no.
If I were paying for the "Big Boy" tires, that's the route I would use.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:25 AM   #36

I have just put Michelin 445/50R22.5 X-One XRV tires on my 05 Journey and with just a couple hundred miles, all I can say at this time is the ride is 500% better with no side to side movement when passed by trucks.
I will keep you up-dated as to milage stoping and just over all performance.
Frank Jones
Old 11-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #37

Your dealer did not wan't to sell these to you very much because the wheels are only 450.00 each and they gave me 600.00 for my old 4 rims. Now for the tires they are less for one big tire than two coem tires. You also can get a mail in rebate from Michelin if you purchase ONE X's.

Quote:
Originally posted by egwall1:
A tire dealer in Oregon just quoted me $1096 plus $31 Fed. excise tax per tire, plus $565 ea for the Alcoa wheels to fit. I like everything I've been reading about these tires, weight reduction, mileage increase, etc. plus significantly tighter turning radius (due to less scrub??)for better maneuverability in tight spots, but man, that's a lot of $$!!
Old 02-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #38

Just a FYI - I did install the "Fatboys" on my coach and only have a few miles on them (about 100) and I can already tell a difference.

They ride a lot smoother and more stable. The snow performance is good too!

I am just about to take a 3000+ mile trip with them and will report back in about a month on that trip.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #39

Hey all,

I got back (a month ago) from a 4000 mile trip with the "fatboys" and have to say that I really did like the ride and handling they offer.

My MPG for the trip was *almost* 8MPG, and that was pulling a VW Passat on a tow dolly and travelling usually at 75MPH. (sometimes faster, rarely slower)

Part of the good MPG is the tires, the other part is the free-flowing 5" aero-turbine muffler I installed.

Would I do these tires again? YES YES YES!

The ride and handling were superb. I even took the coach & TOAD up the road that most people say not to - going north from Sedona, AZ to Flagstaff on the 89A. That was quite a drive!

As for the snow/wet performance, I am very happy with the super single rear tire - the difference between an RV and a semi is that the Semi has two super singles per side, so I would imagine it's not as good slippery traction as a single rear tire.