Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2005, 08:01 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I've read a lot of threads about Michelin vs. Goodyear RV tires. Included were concerns over the safety/quality of Michelin's RV tires. Since I have Michelin XRV's on my FCCC chassis coach I had a need to learn more especially as it relates to FCCC.

Information I found in various forums includes:
- Until the 2005 model year Michelin has been the predominate tire manufacturer at FCCC Gaffney.
- In the 12 months there have been increased sightings of Goodyear tires on FCCC's Gaffney assembly line.
- There's been ample speculation the change is a move by FCCC and the coachbuilders in response to quality/safety issues with Michelin.
- Some folks on tour at the Gaffney plant have even reported comments made by FCCC employees regarding Michelin's quality problems.
- There are several issues with coach builders exceeding tire weight ratings during the coach build cycle (e.g. Newmar).
- There's also speculation Goodyear is making a better deal with some coachbuilders.

I smelled an opportunity to go digging for some new, interesting trivia. What I found that I didn't previously know is:
- Michelin has a truck tire plant producing the XRV, XZE, XZA, etc. RV tires in Spartanburg, SC which is only 20 miles from the FCCC plant in Gaffney.
- Goodyear has only three truck tire factories in the US. The nearest one to Gaffney is 180 miles away in Danville, VA.
- The G670 was introduced in early 2000 but initially only made in their Topeka, KS plant.
- The Goodyear Danville plant didn't start making G670's until early 2004.
- In December, 2003 Fleetwood announced their partnership with Goodyear as their primary RV tire supplier.
- Goodyear becomes an option for FCCC chassis for model year 2005. Per the coachbuilder specs on the FCCC web site a few coaches (mostly high-line and heavier) switch to Goodyear's.
- Oddly, only some Fleetwood coaches for the 2005 model year had Goodyear's. The Revolution was not one of them.
- Per Fleetwood's web site, the 2006 Revolution 40LE's has Goodyear tires.

I would think if there had been a quality issue with Michelin that was part of Fleetwood's reason to partner with Goodyear then all of their 2005 coaches would have been equipped with Goodyear tires. As yet it is unclear how many 2006 coaches, Fleetwood or otherwise, will be equipped with Goodyear's.

Given Winnebago's ways I suspect they will continue on with Michelin for as long as it makes financial sense (to them) and the coaches/tires meet spec as far as weight is concerned. No doubt some of those 2006 chassis the folks touring Gaffney are seeing that are not equipped with Goodyear's are Winnebago/Itasca.

In juxtaposition to the above, Goodyear tires have been on Monaco brand (Monaco, Beaver, HR, etc.) coaches for several years. I believe this is in part due to Monaco also owning the chassis manufacturer, Roadmaster, whose plants are in Oregon and Indiana. This may give them greater ability to respond to market conditions. Interestingly, Goodyear doesn't have a truck tire plant near either Roadmaster plant.

The question is whether the whole RV industry swings over to Goodyear eventually? Regardless of whether the answer this seems to me like normal business dynamics are in play here to meet the need for better performing tires for about the same cost. By all accounts the G670 is that tire.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2005, 08:01 PM   #2

I've read a lot of threads about Michelin vs. Goodyear RV tires. Included were concerns over the safety/quality of Michelin's RV tires. Since I have Michelin XRV's on my FCCC chassis coach I had a need to learn more especially as it relates to FCCC.

Information I found in various forums includes:
- Until the 2005 model year Michelin has been the predominate tire manufacturer at FCCC Gaffney.
- In the 12 months there have been increased sightings of Goodyear tires on FCCC's Gaffney assembly line.
- There's been ample speculation the change is a move by FCCC and the coachbuilders in response to quality/safety issues with Michelin.
- Some folks on tour at the Gaffney plant have even reported comments made by FCCC employees regarding Michelin's quality problems.
- There are several issues with coach builders exceeding tire weight ratings during the coach build cycle (e.g. Newmar).
- There's also speculation Goodyear is making a better deal with some coachbuilders.

I smelled an opportunity to go digging for some new, interesting trivia. What I found that I didn't previously know is:
- Michelin has a truck tire plant producing the XRV, XZE, XZA, etc. RV tires in Spartanburg, SC which is only 20 miles from the FCCC plant in Gaffney.
- Goodyear has only three truck tire factories in the US. The nearest one to Gaffney is 180 miles away in Danville, VA.
- The G670 was introduced in early 2000 but initially only made in their Topeka, KS plant.
- The Goodyear Danville plant didn't start making G670's until early 2004.
- In December, 2003 Fleetwood announced their partnership with Goodyear as their primary RV tire supplier.
- Goodyear becomes an option for FCCC chassis for model year 2005. Per the coachbuilder specs on the FCCC web site a few coaches (mostly high-line and heavier) switch to Goodyear's.
- Oddly, only some Fleetwood coaches for the 2005 model year had Goodyear's. The Revolution was not one of them.
- Per Fleetwood's web site, the 2006 Revolution 40LE's has Goodyear tires.

I would think if there had been a quality issue with Michelin that was part of Fleetwood's reason to partner with Goodyear then all of their 2005 coaches would have been equipped with Goodyear tires. As yet it is unclear how many 2006 coaches, Fleetwood or otherwise, will be equipped with Goodyear's.

Given Winnebago's ways I suspect they will continue on with Michelin for as long as it makes financial sense (to them) and the coaches/tires meet spec as far as weight is concerned. No doubt some of those 2006 chassis the folks touring Gaffney are seeing that are not equipped with Goodyear's are Winnebago/Itasca.

In juxtaposition to the above, Goodyear tires have been on Monaco brand (Monaco, Beaver, HR, etc.) coaches for several years. I believe this is in part due to Monaco also owning the chassis manufacturer, Roadmaster, whose plants are in Oregon and Indiana. This may give them greater ability to respond to market conditions. Interestingly, Goodyear doesn't have a truck tire plant near either Roadmaster plant.

The question is whether the whole RV industry swings over to Goodyear eventually? Regardless of whether the answer this seems to me like normal business dynamics are in play here to meet the need for better performing tires for about the same cost. By all accounts the G670 is that tire.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:24 AM   #3

Thanks Jon & Vicki for a report on your OEM Michelin vs. Goodyear tire research. After experiencing two "zipper blowouts" of the Michelin tires on my recently sold, low mileage Class A gasser, I had already decided to order Goodyear G670s on my new DP!

Al Daniels AKA Nomad Al

'06 Tiffin "Allegro Bus 40DP"
Nomad Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:30 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon & Vicki Pritchard:
The question is whether the whole RV industry swings over to Goodyear eventually? Regardless of whether the answer this seems to me like normal business dynamics are in play here to meet the need for better performing tires for about the same cost. By all accounts the G670 is that tire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
"Normal business dynamics" in the automotive world dictates that you NEVER tie yourself to a single manufacturer/supplier. If Good Year goes on strike for six months, then what? Much better to have tires available from a number of other manufacturers, so that if one shuts down, you are not forced to shut down your own assembly lines.

And from what I've heard from RVers attempting to get replacement G670's; the demand for these tires has so far exceeded Good Year's ability to meet the demand, that they are on back order for weeks at a time!
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:39 AM   #5

for what its worth I've had Goodyear 670s on back order for several months. Don't know what the problem has been. Finally came in yesterday and am having them put on my '99 F-53 chassis 34' motorhome tommorrow. Have 61,000 miles on the G-159 Goodyears with no problems other than hoping the 670 will ride a little softer. 159s still plenty of tread and sidewalls look good but they are comming up to 7 years old so for safety sake I believe its time to change.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 05:14 PM   #6

If my company bonus next month is any good this year maybe I'd better put my order as a Christmas present to myself.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:43 PM   #7

FWIW, I just replaced a set of 22.5" Michelins with G670s. The Michelins only had 13,000 miles and gave a real good ride, but were not rated high enough for the load we were carrying. Bob Tiffin offered to pay for 50% of the cost to up grade to any tire I wanted. (How many companies will do that on a 2 year old coach??) I went from a 255 to a 275 in a higher ply rating and chose the Good Year because of a local dealer and price. So far, after trying to balance them 3 times, they have found 1 out of round tire and they suspect another one. A replacement is on the way. So far, if not for the need of higher capacity, I want the Michelins back. If Good Year can give me a smooth ride, OK, but if not, I will spend whatever it takes to get a round set of Michelins.

Doug
Doug Polzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:15 PM   #8

Just traded my '04 Allegro Bay with Michelin XRV's for a new DP. I must admit that the XRV's had me worried after all the horror stories I had read about the blowouts, and while it wasn't the main reason we traded, having them made trading much easier. While I never had a problem with mine in 11,000 miles I still didn't trust them, and when we traded we insisted on (and got) Goodyear rubber.

I read somewhere that Michelin will be discontinuing the XRV. Interesting...

Spartan & 350 CAT
Catdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 03:39 AM   #9

Doug,

Your's is the first post I've seen with anything less than sterling feedback on the G670.

What make/model coach do you have?

Don't know who your local dealer is but the general recommendation for Goodyear for RV's is a Wingfoot dealer (corporate store) as they deal only in commercial truck tires. When I talked to my local Wingfoot dealer they said in addition to balancing they test for round while the tire is still off the vehicle.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:24 PM   #10

John,

Our coach is an 40' 03 Phaeton. The Good Year dealer is a long established store with several locations. He also said this was the 1st out of round G670 he had seen. It is not the first for Good Year, as about 6 months ago I read some posts about similar problems with the 19.5" tire. I will wait and see before passing judgment.

Doug
Old 07-15-2005, 03:07 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug Polzin:
........Bob Tiffin offered to pay for 50% of the cost to up grade to any tire I wanted. (How many companies will do that on a 2 year old coach??)

Doug </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug, you seem to be saying that the tires on your MH could not support the GVWR (or if just one axle, the GAWR). If this is the case (what else could it be since if you load it up beyond that you are in violation of the GVWR or GAWR?) it begs the question "How many manufacturers would put tires on a motorhome that couldn't even carry the GVWR? In that scenario, why shouldn't Tiffin foot the entire bill, let alone half.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:28 PM   #12

Don,
When we travel for the winter, the right rear of our coach is heavier than the left by about 700#s when I carry a 1000# motorcycle on the back. It is due to the refridge, canned goods and a full slide out tool box in the compartment in front of the right rear dual. Everything is fine until I carry the motorcycle and then I am about 500#s over the dual capacity on the right. Bob Tiffin could have told me to leave the motorcycle at home or move the tool box, or shift part of the load to left. Instead, he very graciously offered to pay half of the cost to get higher capacity tires. After discussing my axle loading with a Freightliner rep. (off the record) I was satisfied with the loading and bought new Good Year G670s. I repeat, I don't know of any other company that would have done the same.

Doug
Old 08-04-2005, 01:05 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I think Michelin is getting a bad rap. If properly maintained a quality tire will work fine. The tire must be speced right for the job. Good Year is a higher load rated tire. It don't make it better just right for that weight. Michelin tires are the tire used on most coaches. With that many out there it will be the problem. The point i am trying to make is.. Buy a quality tire and (a MUST ) check weight and pressure often. Proper pressure is a must.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:31 AM   #14

I agree with UPS34, tires are like cars each of us have our preferance. Seems the 235 Michelins have more problems than the 255. Could it be there are many more out there and in some cases they are abused?

My Mercruiser gave me some problems early on and it was pointed out to me that there are so many more Mercruiser engines manufactured.
Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote