Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2004, 04:43 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Thanks for the inpup, the last tire We purchased it had branded in the side wall duel use only, I am going to get with Michelm to see what this is , iF i can't run this on the front why not? I like to rotate my tires about 20000 miles is this tire good for the front?
Jim

jimandsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2004, 08:13 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
I found out today that the tire with branded duel use only. That it was out of balance so bad that Michelin did not want any of these on the steer axle. It took 14 oz of wt. to bal. it. This is the only tire that I could fine on the road to replace one that blowed out.
I got 2 Goodyears for the front G169 They are twice as heavy and a lot wider, I am going to get them put on next week, weather permeating
Jim

Old 12-28-2004, 05:05 PM   #31

I have a Horizon 2001 with Michelin 235/80R22.5 and I will soon be changing them out. If I go to the GoodYear G670RV tires which size should I get? I am particularly concerned about the Minimum Dual Spacing.

Oklahoma City, OK
Buddy & Jenna Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 04:59 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Goodyear has a very good chart that will tell you which to use. I am going with goodyear G169 wide tread I had to go with a higher # to get the same as Mich. 235"s I am still talking with Mich. on my other tires Jim
Old 01-03-2005, 06:06 PM   #33

I had this same type tire blow out while traveling on I-95 in S Carolina on Dec 31st. Left inside dual, luckily [I guess] i was only a couple miles from an exit that had this size tire. They were not an authorized Michelin dealer so I took the tire with me. I contacted Michelin today and even though the dealer in Tampa Fl. told them their was no road hazard damage the Michelin rep. on the phone said this problem is caused by overloading or underinflation and told me they could offer nothing. This tire had only 2/32 wear and 12800 miles. I have been rving 25 years and have had the coach weighed recently and check the pressure and tire congdition often. The Michelin Rep finally agreed to send me a check for 1/2 the price I paid for the new tire. But now I am concerned about a front one blowing.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:09 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi Dan B.
Every time I talk with Michelin customer service they tell me the same thing I am like you been RVing for 25 years, with no problem with tires. Michelin 235/8022.5RV is a Nightmire to them but the will not amit to it. I could not fine a tire like this one when the last one had a knot in the side of it. I was told that Mich. had took these tires off the market. I wish I could carry a spare somewhere but I don't have the space to do it.
Jim
Old 01-20-2005, 03:36 PM   #35

This subject has been just about beaten to death on this and lots of other forums. You can do a search on just about any of the major forums that has a functional search engine for XRV or any other Michelin trade name and you'll get blown away by the number of complaints. Michelin has a serious problem and either doesn't know how to fix it or the fix is so expensive they can't.

(After you've blown several megabucks on the development and marketing of a line of tires you can't discontinue the line without admitting that there was a problem and incurring all sorts of liability suits or admitting to the stockholders that you screwed up. If you do, the company loses a fortune and you lose your job!)

Judging from what I've seen on these forums, we're told to adjust the pressures in our MH tires according to some published values based on the axle weights. When a lot of folks follow those tables they end up with blown tires anyway, with the side walls "unzipping," i.e., a split forms that parallels the circumference of the tire and lies somewhere about midway along the sidewall most or all of the way around the tire.

When they take the blown tire to Michelin, they're told that they were running their MH overweight and it's not Michelin's problem. And, a lot of these folks also obsessively, compulsively, anal retentively weigh their rigs and adjust their weights to make sure that they *NEVER* run overweight and they often keep a log of their pressure checks to prove it. But, the tires blow anyway!

The majority of the recommendations are to switch to some other brand, with Goodyear being the brand most commonly mentioned. The problem is that many of us have MHs that seem to be custom built around Michelin XRVs and can't switch without a major cash layout and remodeling job.

So, as an interim solution to the problem we've adopted another strategy and it's detailed on http://www.woodalls.com/cforum/index...d/14570339.cfm. (YOu can copy and paste the link. If it doesn't work get back to me by private E-mail [schultz@ucalgary.ca] and I'll E-mail you a text version.) Look it over and see what you think.
Spiderman of Calgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:01 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi Stanley,
You read about the problem we have had, I still have 4 Mich. on the rear. Mich said they would not do nothing about these until something happens to one of them. Well do I wait till one blowes out and tares out the inside of the motorhomes finders & wireing. We are leaving tomorrow from Northern North Carolina to go to Fla. hoping we will not have a flat on the rear, My opinion is the XRV tires are a hand bomb wainting to blow out Jim
Old 01-27-2005, 09:33 AM   #37

Based on comments on this and other MH forems over this past year, I am going to replace my Michelin 235-80R22.5 XRV's with Toyo 265-75R22.5 M124Z. These have gotten some good reviews and are also used as original equipment on some high end coaches. I have been quoted $1575 including balacing and mounting for six. Toyo is building a large tire manufacturing facility in the US. Has also been ranked #1 in quality for 7 yrs now. My decision was between the Goodyear G670's and the Toyo. There was a lot of bucks difference in the cost between these two.

2000 Itaska Horizon 36LD
Piccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:34 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi Piccolo
I have a friend that got Toyo's and he likes them very good. That is a good price on those tires. Go with the ones that you belive in. Glad to see that you are a posting on this forum Jim & Sandy
Old 01-27-2005, 07:55 PM   #39

Regarding the Michelin XRV tire problems which I have also read many posts about blow outs, has anyone filed a complaint with the NHTSA about these tires?? Just curious, as it sounds like they pose a real highway safety hazard.

Best Regards, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 07:59 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi Jim
What is NHTSA, I will complain to them, we have friends that called 1 hour ago and they had a XRV to blow out on 95 comming to FLa. to meet up with us. It was on the rear and next to the exit to Flying J. They said they were going to try to find some tires tomorrow, the inside rear that did not blow out was real hot when they got stoped. Jim Jessup
Old 01-29-2005, 07:59 AM   #41

Hi Jim&Sandy, NHTSA is the "National Highway Traffic Safety Administration" here's the link to their site: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Best Regards, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote