Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #57

I also run Michelin tires 235/80/22.5 and they are 5 years old I was checking my tires the other day and noticed on one of the tires the side wall has a lot of cracking starting so I think this tire is about ready to blow out the side soon. Have to check all the tires very closely now

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Michelin should be ashamed, embarrassed, sued, whipped and put out of business. The stories of their tire failures on motorhome use are legend around any m/h campfire. The failures are not all related to owner abuse or failure to maintain! I personally am a maintenance fanatic and have had 2 Michelin blowouts at 6 years from tire date of birth. Both had limited miles on them, no checking, etc. In both cases I asked the tire personnel replacing the tires (all 6!) if any of them, including the blown one showed any sign of damage or any reason to have had them replaced prior to the failure. In both cases the answer was NO 6 times. I will no longer buy Michelin but my replacement m/h came with them and I decided to run them only to relearn a lesson I had learned six years earlier.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #59

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Evidently nobody from Michelin has any care at all about customer service because apparently they don't have anyone looking at rv forums like this one.

Several other folks in the RV business sure care when someone isn't happy on these threads, evidently, Michelin is so in love with itself, it just doesn't care. :(
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #60

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninvic View Post
Recently while driving north on I5 in California I had the unfortunate experience of a tire blowout on the right rear outside tire on my 2004 National Dolphin. There was only 12,000 miles on the 2 year old tire. The sidewall exploded outward releasing all of the air immediately. The defective area was on the inside of the rear right duals. Hard to see unless you crawl under the chassis and are specifically looking for a defect.

Now before all of you jump in with all of the things I probably did wrong, here are the facts:

- I travel with a large AC powered compressor and check all tires regularly.

- this is a 32ft motorhome on a Workhorse chassis, it is not overloaded, and based on the manufacturers recommended pressures and information from Michelin's website the pressure was set at 95lbs.

- the tires are always covered when the motorhome is stationary for more than two days.

- there was no abnormal wear on the tires, tread wear was minimal, tires look like new.

The other tires were all purchased at the same time, nothing apparently wrong with them so far, but I will be keeping a close watch for any defects from now on.

Btw Good Sam would only deliver a Good Year tire of the same size. They apparently have a contract with a specific supplier and Michelin was not an option even though I was paying for the replacement and labour to mount it. I did not like the idea of mixing manufacturers tires on a dual, and instead drove several hours in the toad to find the exact Michelin replacement.

Have any of you had similar failures with the sidewalls on your Michelin XRV tires?
Got the final word from Michelin Warranty - to quote:

"Our conclusion is that something damaged the tire which is beyond our control as a manufacturer and is not covered under the Michelin warranty. We will not be able to offer further assistance or refund on the replacement tire."

I always check my tires, there is no way I would have missed something wedged in between the duals. I will not be buying Michelin again. Here are the photos. The 3rd photo is an inside view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050574.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	39841   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050583.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	39842  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside View.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	909.2 KB
ID:	39843  
Old 05-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #61

Quote:

"Our conclusion is that something damaged the tire which is beyond our control as a manufacturer and is not covered under the Michelin warranty. We will not be able to offer further assistance or refund on the replacement tire."

I always check my tires, there is no way I would have missed something wedged in between the duals. I will not be buying Michelin again. Here are the photos. The 3rd photo is an inside view.
Question, What are the other smaller marks on the sidewall? Are these part of the blow-out also? (Middle photo)
Old 05-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #62

Freightliner Owners Club
Believe they are whiskers or the highly technical term is molding tits...from air vents in the tire mold.

Enlarge the center photo, shadows are evident.

Photo looks like something went out the hole, not in...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #63

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I sure wish you could get an independent lab to confirm this was a defect then see what Michelin had to say about it. How can this be something that 'damaged' the tire when it clearly failed from the inside out???

I don't know squat about tire failures, but this sure looks like one to me......

Very disconcerting.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #64

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkng88 View Post
Don't get me started on Michelin RV tires. I bought a new Winnebago Journey in 2000 outfitted with Michelin tires I thought I had the best. The second and third summer I had three zipper sidewall blow outs. Michelin would not warranty they said the tires were under inflated and I know for a fact they were not. Michelin said to keep the tires inflated to the maximum pressure 100 PSI and that is what I did, after the first blown tire I did not move the coach without checking the pressure. After the fourth blow out on the Michelin tires I changed to Good Year and went up one size. The fourth tire blew on the edge of the tread and there was rust in the steel cords so I attributed that to some sort of damage. From 20,000 mile to 93,000 miles when I traded never had one problem with the Goodyear set of tires. One noted fact when I changed and put two Michelin tires on the from and moved the front to the rear same tire same size but Michelin had changed the Maximum pressure to 110 PSI . I lost a lot of money and the safety factor caused me to write off Michelin as a tire supplier. I have Goodyear on my new coach and I have never had a problem. By the way I increased the pressure to 110 PSI and had no problems for the period of time that I ran the Michelin tires. Michelin will say anything to keep from replacing I will not even run them on my cars as far as I'm concerned Goodyear makes the best tires. I will suggest you Google the tire type and just see what comes up I did and I got rid of them. The tires I took off I destroyed even though most were almost new I was afraid someone would buy them as used possibly have a blowout and get someone killed. All my blowouts were on the rear of the coach thank God.
You say you went up one size when you changed to GoodYears, that kind of negates your story since you didn't "test" using a larger size Michelin. If the tires were undersize then you should complain about the manufacturer of the RV for using undersize tires.
In all my 50+ years of driving the ONLY tire I've ever had a blow out on was a GoodYear.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #65

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mr. D, I'm a Michelin man too, but there seem to be a lot of folks with these sidewall issues.

I'm kind of concerned, those pictures sure look like something exploded from inside out. (like in the movie "Alien")

Too bad we couldn't get an independent lab to confirm it. I'd sure like to know what exactly scientifically forensic proof caused it.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #66

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

They didn't say something was wedged in between the tires, they said "something damaged the tire"
Looking at the pictures I can see what they're talking about. Something went through the sidewall and when it can out the rubber was pulled out with the object. There are marks around the hole that could be caused by an impact. I would have to say they're right.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Michelin has never ever built a defective tire. JUST ASK THEM.

When I sold Michelins along with other brands, to include Goodyear, Cooper, Toyo and a few others, Michelin was the only one that came back all the time with the CUSTOMER ABUSE excuse, therefore NO WARRANTY. They build good tires, just not as good as they think.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #68
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have to wonder what percentage of tires that are produce are made by Michelin versus those made by others, I'm just too lazy to check it out.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #69

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
There are marks around the hole that could be caused by an impact. I would have to say they're right.
Mr-D- In the center photo the "marks" are actually the mold whiskers, if you expand the photos you can see the shadows of the pin size "whiskers". Instead of impact marks, I think the side wall bubbled then blew, but can't rule out a road hazard.
My MH came with XRV 235/80R22.5 Michelin, Load range G- original load table showed a max 100psi and provided adequate load capability but only a few hundred pound cushion at max pressure. Michelin later required a minimum pressure to 110psi for the same load capacity. Since then reports of sidewall failures seem to have decreased.
I replaced those after 6+years with Goodyear 275/70R22.5, Load range H, and at 85-90psi I have almost a 2000 pound cushion per axle, good ride and handling and am on my second set of Goodyears. I did not switch to "test" but for peace of mind.

I am not a Michelin fan, my prior MH had a zipper blowout (RR) on 19.5 Michelin with 11K miles. Properly inflated-- etc. They agreed to replace the failed tire (prorated) but required I replace it's running mate as a condition of coverage- since it was overloaded by it's defective mate failing. It was collateral damage and not warrantied.. (still feel it was their fault, their bad tire ruined my good tire)-- Went to Bridgestones all around instead.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #70

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
They didn't say something was wedged in between the tires, they said "something damaged the tire"
Looking at the pictures I can see what they're talking about. Something went through the sidewall and when it can out the rubber was pulled out with the object. There are marks around the hole that could be caused by an impact. I would have to say they're right.
This was on the inside of the dual, the facing tire has no sign of abrasion.