Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #71

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post

Question, What are the other smaller marks on the sidewall? Are these part of the blow-out also? (Middle photo)
I had something very similar happen to me. The inside rear driver side Michelin blew. I told GS I wanted a Michelin. The guys that showed up had some Chinese tire. Cost $500. A few weeks later the the drive outside rear blew. Again I called GS. This time they brought out the right tire. Again almost $500. We drove to Camping world in Orlando and had the rest of the tires replaced. Including the Chinese tire.

I found a app on the iPad that locates to closest Michelin dealer to your location. Next time ill call them, and get them involved.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #72

That tire was damaged somehow in my opinion. You can see other damage marks around the puncture

Old 06-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #73

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrua72 View Post
That tire was damaged somehow in my opinion. You can see other damage marks around the puncture
Even the guy that installed the new tire said it was a defective tire. This tire did not blow while driving. We were in a camp site and it blew in the middle of the night. There was no foreign object nearby, just flat ground.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #74

Mfg response is typical. They know you will not go to the expense of an independent lab test versus just biting the bullet and buying a new tire. If you do get it tested and the result is in your favor, the mfg will probably not pay for a new replacement anyway. Just will give you a few bucks off on a new tire, and require proof that you also purchased a new matching on the dual. At any rate, they are money in pocket and you are money out of pocket.

As to the damage photo, I think the bulge was there PRIOR to blowout. A close look at the tear shows it went through the bulge. An external puncture rip will not be able to create a bulge that shows up all around the three arms of that tear. The small scars on the tire may well be from gravel damage when the tire contacted the ground after the failure. The fact that the opposite dual does not show foreign object damage sort of tells the story that there was nothing wedged between the tires.

I have 8 Michelins and no complaints so far with them, except the price. However, I'm under the bus about every 500 miles looking for sidewall bulging no matter who makes the tire.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #75

If you expand the center picture, you can see the "bulge" is a darker color than the scuff marks leading up to it. Arm-chair guesses are... the bulge was there first.

I was a Michelin man most of my life until I had a Michelin truck tire destroy the right side of my truck bed and exhaust pipe… twice.

Neither tire was a year old, was inflated to the sidewall pressure and my pin weight was well under the limit.

The first time I let DT send the tire to Michelin. Michelin said it was “Run Flat”. Well of course it was. I can't stop immediately from 65 MPH. The second time, I had the body shop have an accident reconstruction firm inspect the tire. Didn't cost me anything, but my deductible. They concluded the tire was defective. The first time, it cost me well over $1000, the loss of time and the inconvenience.

I told DT to remove all 5 Michelin tires and replace them with Goodyear Silent Amour Technology Wranglers and have not had a single flat or failure. They are almost worn out.

The only time a Michelin tire will be under any of my vehicles, is if I run over what's left of one on the road.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #76

Hope this is not too far off topic, but it is about tires.

http://www.suitorsgarage.com/project...tstireid1.html

Found out my Goodyear Wranglers on the toad are made by Sumitomo in Japan. Then I went searching for Sumitomos that have the same specs and look like the Wranglers. Found 'em and less expensive too. Obviously the same tire but without the added cost of having the Goodyear label.

I'm starting to sniff around for bus tire replacements now that the Michelins are about to reach the "age of retirement". Tread is still husky, but I'm starting to be concerned about aging and potential sidewall issues. Anyway some tire dealer will be able to take his mistress on a cruise with the sales profit from my eight new bus tires.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #77

My Toyo 19.5s were also made in Japan. Good cost and ride.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #78

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Hope this is not too far off topic, but it is about tires.

Who makes this Tire anyway? - Tire Identification

Found out my Goodyear Wranglers on the toad are made by Sumitomo in Japan. Then I went searching for Sumitomos that have the same specs and look like the Wranglers. Found 'em and less expensive too. Obviously the same tire but without the added cost of having the Goodyear label.

I'm starting to sniff around for bus tire replacements now that the Michelins are about to reach the "age of retirement". Tread is still husky, but I'm starting to be concerned about aging and potential sidewall issues. Anyway some tire dealer will be able to take his mistress on a cruise with the sales profit from my eight new bus tires.

Recently replaced my Michelin 255/80 22.5s (aged out w. and had sidewall cracks) with Sumitomo (made in Japan) 727s in size 275/70 22.5. Great tires with good reviews and for a lot less $$.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #79

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbs2320 View Post

Recently replaced my Michelin 255/80 22.5s (aged out w. and had sidewall cracks) with Sumitomo (made in Japan) 727s in size 275/70 22.5. Great tires with good reviews and for a lot less $$.
Just went from Goodyears to Sumitomos , same size. (275/70 22.5) They are truck tires and have a thicker side wall than the G's. Paid $2625 out the door for 6. My wallet is very happy.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We just put four 275/80R22.5 XZE2 Michelins on the rear of the RV. Two were put on the front in April. We did have a blowout on the right outside dual but they were ten years old so I can't complain. The plan was to have them replaced as soon as we got home but the one didn't make it. No harm to us or the rig and now we have a nice recap that got us home for a spare.

Why Michelin again? Mostly because they are made in the United States or Canada and I still believe they are a good tire.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #81

RV Weight Placard Wrong

I just switched out some 8 year old Michelins with TOYO 245/75 R22.5 and so far could not be happier. Of course my next 1300 mile trip will tell me plenty more. My issue is I don't understand how Airstream determined the inflation pressure on my RIG. Both Michelin and Toyo pretty much have identical weight charts. My rig weighs Right Rear 7875 and Left Rear 7900. Also I don't carry much equipment with me. the placard on the 1999 airstream cutter says 90PSI on the rear duals. Referencing the chart that equates to:

3765*2=7530. I would be 370lbs over weight for that pressure. To me I don't understand how the placard being federally mandated could be so wrong.

I decided to inflate to 100PSI which is 4055*2 = 8110 according to Toyo Chart. That gives me 210 pounds of wiggle room with 20PSI buffer till I hit the 120PSI Max Inflation for the tire since I travel in hot climate.

If anyone can comment on whether or not their Placard is way off like man I would be interested to hear.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by randazj View Post
I just switched out some 8 year old Michelins with TOYO 245/75 R22.5 and so far could not be happier. Of course my next 1300 mile trip will tell me plenty more. My issue is I don't understand how Airstream determined the inflation pressure on my RIG. Both Michelin and Toyo pretty much have identical weight charts. My rig weighs Right Rear 7875 and Left Rear 7900. Also I don't carry much equipment with me. the placard on the 1999 airstream cutter says 90PSI on the rear duals. Referencing the chart that equates to:

3765*2=7530. I would be 370lbs over weight for that pressure. To me I don't understand how the placard being federally mandated could be so wrong.

I decided to inflate to 100PSI which is 4055*2 = 8110 according to Toyo Chart. That gives me 210 pounds of wiggle room with 20PSI buffer till I hit the 120PSI Max Inflation for the tire since I travel in hot climate.

If anyone can comment on whether or not their Placard is way off like man I would be interested to hear.

If your rear axle is rated for 15000lbs then those numbers would make sense. Either way inflate to actual weight, sounds like you have it under control.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #83

Thanks for your response, actually rear axle is rated for 17000

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130603_193738.png
Views:	102
Size:	519.9 KB
ID:	40098

See attached picture. This motorhome probably should have come with bigger wheels in my opinion. At least I have some wiggle room but if someone was to follow the sticker they would be in trouble pretty fast since they woild be overloaded
Old 06-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninvic View Post

Even the guy that installed the new tire said it was a defective tire. This tire did not blow while driving. We were in a camp site and it blew in the middle of the night. There was no foreign object nearby, just flat ground.
If the guy installing the tire said it was defective, then it probably was. However, I once had a brake dust cover off a semi imbed itself onto the inside of one of my duallys. It was holding air and we were working in the bush so I kept going on it, while unloading near the end of the day it blew and the split in the sidewall looked very similar to the pics posted. There was no damage to the other tire.