Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Randazj, I have a gasser with a 15,000lb axle with 235 michelins on 6.75 rims. I don't understand how your dp can run same rear tires on 7.5 rims and be ok.

Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #86

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Mr-D- In the center photo the "marks" are actually the mold whiskers, if you expand the photos you can see the shadows of the pin size "whiskers". Instead of impact marks, I think the side wall bubbled then blew, but can't rule out a road hazard.
That's not what I was posting about, looking at the picture you can see where the rubber was abraded by something before it punctured the casing. It doesn't show every well and it looks like it had a rounded end.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #87

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
Randazj, I have a gasser with a 15,000lb axle with 235 michelins on 6.75 rims. I don't understand how your dp can run same rear tires on 7.5 rims and be ok.
Mike
Tires can be mounted on more than one rim width although there is an optimum for each size. If wider or narrower then the diam, width (footprint) and carrying capacity is affected.
I have 8.25" rims on our rig, the front tires (305/70's) take a 9.0" rim and the rears (275/70's) take a 7.5" rim but the 8.5" is listed as an alternate too. You just have to remember that the specs change a little. I wouldn't mount the 275/70's on a 9.0" rim, nor would I mount the 305/70's on a 7.5" wide rim.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #88
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariolbatt View Post
I had something very similar happen to me. The inside rear driver side Michelin blew. I told GS I wanted a Michelin. The guys that showed up had some Chinese tire. Cost $500. A few weeks later the the drive outside rear blew. Again I called GS. This time they brought out the right tire. Again almost $500. We drove to Camping world in Orlando and had the rest of the tires replaced. Including the Chinese tire.

I found a app on the iPad that locates to closest Michelin dealer to your location. Next time ill call them, and get them involved.
When one tire in dual application fails few people think about the fact that they ran its mate in significant overload. This can lead to a second failure.

The reason for the first failure was not identified and probably not completely investigated. If there was a puncture or valve leak that lead to the flex and ultimate "blowout" of the sidewall then clearly its mate also suffered internal structural damaged.

A major advantage of TPMS is it gives the driver warning of air loss and in most instances you will be able to stop before running both tires "flat".

Simply checking the air each morning is no guarantee you didn't suffer a puncture as you pulled out of the campground.

HERE is a story of a sidewall blowout confirmed to have been caused by a slow valve leak.

If you don't think TPMS are a good tool then I would ask why you have all those gauges on your instrument panel. If you really think you don't need to monitor the operating systems, including the tires, of your RV then I would challenge you to tape over all the gauges and then tell me how comfortable you are about driving down the road.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #89
Commercial Member

The pictures were reasonable good for not having close-up capability. However there is physical evidence of external abrasion around the center of the failed area.

The "ripples" (horizontal lines in this picture) are the result of something rubbing for a number of miles across this part of the sidewall. Now this still doesn't identify the root cause of why there was a bubble on the sidewall but it gets us a bit closer to understanding what actually happened.

If we look at the picture with the sidewall pulled back we see what appears to be a broken steel cord. Steel cords usually are very difficult to break unless there is flexing fatigue (think of a paper clip and how you can fail it if you flex it a lot).
If I had the section with the failure I would be inspecting it under microscope to confirm if the steel was cut or flexed.
I can't go much further as I don't have the ability to look real close at the area of concern.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #90
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It seems every time a tire blows, someone HAS to find fault with the tire. As I said in the very beginning of this post, right rear tires are the most susceptible to having a blowout.

Have you ever stopped in the emergency lane and looked at the debris! I was a fire investigator for 15 years and on several occasions had to walk the emergency parking lanes for the cause of a fire. If I had collected all the metal I saw just off of the white line, I would be a rich man.

I sold tires for four years just out of high school. I was 17 and making $2.50 an hour. Someone would come in and ask me what was wrong with their tires.....keep in mind, I was 17 making $2.50 an hour.....and I would tell them what happened. My point is...when you take your tires into a tire store, most of the guys busting tires are making minimum wage and doing the only job they know or can get. So, don't look to them for gospel on what caused your tire failure.

Even though the OP checked his tires everyday, inspected them every stop, he still can't control a piece of debris wedging between two tires and causing a blowout. It happens. Sometimes you just have to accept that bad things happen while driving.

I'm not trying to bust anyone's chops who posted, but sometimes you just have to accept that a blowout was caused by road debris. I know were all safe drivers, but as we get older, our vision drops off, were preoccupied by driving a huge motor home down the road and if you're good driver, you're eyes are moving between mirrors and traffic. Sometimes small pieces of debris on the roadway at 60 mph is hard to spot. So when anyone makes a claim they didn't run over anything, that's a little hard to believe.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:20 AM   #91

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
It seems every time a tire blows, someone HAS to find fault with the tire. As I said in the very beginning of this post, right rear tires are the most susceptible to having a blowout.

Have you ever stopped in the emergency lane and looked at the debris! I was a fire investigator for 15 years and on several occasions had to walk the emergency parking lanes for the cause of a fire. If I had collected all the metal I saw just off of the white line, I would be a rich man.

I sold tires for four years just out of high school. I was 17 and making $2.50 an hour. Someone would come in and ask me what was wrong with their tires.....keep in mind, I was 17 making $2.50 an hour.....and I would tell them what happened. My point is...when you take your tires into a tire store, most of the guys busting tires are making minimum wage and doing the only job they know or can get. So, don't look to them for gospel on what caused your tire failure.

Even though the OP checked his tires everyday, inspected them every stop, he still can't control a piece of debris wedging between two tires and causing a blowout. It happens. Sometimes you just have to accept that bad things happen while driving.

I'm not trying to bust anyone's chops who posted, but sometimes you just have to accept that a blowout was caused by road debris. I know were all safe drivers, but as we get older, our vision drops off, were preoccupied by driving a huge motor home down the road and if you're good driver, you're eyes are moving between mirrors and traffic. Sometimes small pieces of debris on the roadway at 60 mph is hard to spot. So when anyone makes a claim they didn't run over anything, that's a little hard to believe.

Well I sure hope you are right - cause I have never seen anything like this before and have concerns about the other tires purchased at the same time; this tire blew in the middle of the night while in a campground, and there was no debris around, and no indication of what could have caused it. Damaged already, maybe, I will never really know what happened.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #92
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninvic View Post
Well I sure hope you are right - cause I have never seen anything like this before and have concerns about the other tires purchased at the same time; this tire blew in the middle of the night while in a campground, and there was no debris around, and no indication of what could have caused it. Damaged already, maybe, I will never really know what happened.
Interesting bit of information I must have missed in earlier posts. A delayed failure.
I cover the "TIME" function of tire failures in my blog post on Why Tires Fail.

This delay causes a lot of problems for most people as they incorrectly assume that all failures happen immediately after something bad occurs (puncture, impact, leaking valve). Under the right circumstances it is possible for the actual failure to occur days or weeks after the initial incident.

While still working, I did receive more than a dozen reports of tire "blowouts" occurring while a car was parked in the driveway so this is not all that unusual.

Just shows, as we see on good TV mystery shows, that having all the facts is important if we really want to solve the case.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #93

Bob Reel

I had a Michelin XRV sidewall blowout on the right front steer tire on 8/12/2013 while going down the interstate. The tire was only 14 months old and had 4710 miles on it. Took tire back to tire dealer and they contacted the Michelin rep. to come and look at the tire. Michelin would not do any thing about the sidewall blowout (imagine that). They said the side wall was rubbed (of course it was, as the wheel sat down on the sidewall when I was trying to move off from the freeway). Maybe it is time to take all of the tires off and buy some other tire that will not blowout.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #94

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobreel View Post
I had a Michelin XRV sidewall blowout on the right front steer tire on 8/12/2013 while going down the interstate. The tire was only 14 months old and had 4710 miles on it. Took tire back to tire dealer and they contacted the Michelin rep. to come and look at the tire. Michelin would not do any thing about the sidewall blowout (imagine that). They said the side wall was rubbed (of course it was, as the wheel sat down on the sidewall when I was trying to move off from the freeway). Maybe it is time to take all of the tires off and buy some other tire that will not blowout.
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #95
Commercial Member

Quote:
Have any sharp pictures you can share? If you can provide an in-focus, close-up (2 foot or less) shot of the area of the tire where the tire "rubbed" on the road that would be great.

RE "other tire that will not blowout" sorry to say there is no such thing as a fail proof tire. With 4710 miles on the tire it is unlikely it has a mfg defect as in my experience such tires will usually fail early in life and not have a simply sidewall failure.

"Blowout" to me means the tire came apart in the sidewall with a circumferential failure of dozens of steel body cords.

Does the tire have any broken cords?

What did your TPMS report just before the failure?

Is the tire in one large piece or is it now in two or three major pieces.

If we don't learn the real cause of the failure there is no way to know what needs to be done to avoid a recurrence.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #96

Monaco Owners Club
I've had Michelin's blow out, but it was my fault as I didn't keep enough air in them, and they were older then 5 years. deSanford PS now I have all tires monitored.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #97

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Typical Michelin response, heard it way too many times as a dealer.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #98

According to Janet Stevens at Michelin, this was "Run Flat". Of course it was, I can't stop immediately.

A couple of years later, when my "last Michelin" blew out, the body shop had VMAR,
an accident reconstruction firm inspect the tire and put the blame on Michelin.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote