Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-04-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
Microwave/Convection Interior size

I'm going through my baking supplies and selling off most of my pans and cake decorating supplies. Since we will be purchasing a used diesel class A in the not too distant future, I've realized most of them come with strictly a microwave/convection oven and no standard propane oven. Since we currently own a travel trailer, I know what fits in the propane oven, but I have no idea what will fit in the microwave/convection oven. Anyone know the interior dimensions or what size pans will fit in there? I'm assuming while in the convection mode, that I can use standard metal pans. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Having a bakeware sale on the 17th, so if anyone can advise me, I would greatly appreciate it.

BarbDan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2015, 01:31 PM   #2
We have a Sharp microwave/convection oven in our 2013 Winnebago Adventurer. The interior dimensions are: 17-3/16" wide X 8-5/8" high X 13-3/8" deep. I have no idea what type of cookware to use in the convection oven mode. We also have a gas cooktop and oven so any baking that gets done is in the gas oven.

As a side note when I was baking a pizza (in the oven) last week I noticed the instructions said if you chose to use a microwave the machine should be a minimum of 1100 watts. Our microwave is only 850 watts. I don't know if an 1100 watt machine would just bake it faster or if there would be some other downsides to using a lesser powered machine.

2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:56 PM   #3

Of course will depend on make/model of your oven
Ours is a Whirlpool unit WMH76719CS
Interior is 14" x 21"
Since Jackie still bakes ALOT, she kept most of her pans ... we store in tubs in the basement ....
Hal & Jackie .... 03 TS Select 45DS01
02 Haulmark 20' Edge .... 02 Corvette Rdstr

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:38 AM   #4
Most of the Sharp M/C ovens work as follows
1) only as a microwave:: so no metal in this mode just like any other microwave
2) combo microwave convection: only microwave safe containers.
3) convection only: this is exactly like using an electric oven in your home. There is a fan that runs and circulates the hot air. There for your cooking time and or temp may be lower. You may use any oven proof container including metal

There will be at least one rack that you use for backing pans so that the air can circulate under the container just like a regular oven

If you are using the turntable then your containers must be able to turn inside. This generally means it must be smaller than 12" round. My largest sq backing pan 10" interior. But it has a rim so its actually 12" across diagonally. Rectangle pans don't turn. However most combo units have the option to turn off the turntable. There you can use rectangular pans. The largest I use is 9x13
So here's my stash
2 Corella pie plates. They serve many purposes not just baking
One 9x13 corelle light dish
.one square 2 qt corelle light baking dish
2 square metal baking pans
One 10 " spring form
2 metal loaf pans
I have tried for 9 years to bake a full size pound cake with no success. I think there is just not enough room and air flow for an angel food cake pan and the dense batter. I got rid of that pan and only bake pound cakes in loaf pans now. However everything else I do is just perfect. I do use pizza pans for cookie sheets. I cook and bake all the time with these items

I finally found a stainless steel saucier pan which was under 12" across including the handles it came from Princess House. Even ones from restaurant supply were to big. This allows me to start meats on the stove top and finish in the oven

My other pots and pans. One 12" skillet, one small cast iron skillet, 2 small sauce pans, my saucier, a 6 qt pot ( its wide and 4" deep so it can also fit in the convection as a roaster)

I have no issues creating a wonderful meal with these items. I do have a crock pot, small fryer
Ron & Linda
2000 Dynasty 38PBS
Full time since 2007
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone. I was making an assumption that microwave/convection ovens were a pretty standard size. Cleary, they are not. In spite of that, your responses are all appreciated, especially the inventory. You've given me a great guide. Downsizing is difficult, but your guidance makes it easier.

Safe travels to you all.
BarbDan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:39 PM   #6
The key factor is that !most full size are only on average about 14 deep. They are not manufactured just for RVs but rather stsndard over the range units found in any house kitchen. The mitigating factor is do you want it to turn while using it?? If so your max number is about 12" squared. If you are turning off the turntable then 13. Temermber that you need room for air to circulate. If you have a 14" deep oven and put in a 14" wide pan than you are smack up against the back wall and the door. No good cooking action will happen because the air can't circulate. Hope that helps

Also remember if your a couple you will probable find yourself cooking smaller smts.
To be honest the only a time the 9x13 gets used is when we are with a group.

Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote