Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2006, 04:40 AM   #1

Our 03 Horizon micro/convection rattles a lot when driving. Is there a way to "tighten" it up and make quiet?

Also just put a new house battery in the motorhome and went out to get a forgotten item last night to find it's dead. How much draw is the walkie-talkie charger that seems to be on all the time? Other parasites? (yes, I forgot to turn off the house battery switch)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2006, 04:40 AM   #2

Our 03 Horizon micro/convection rattles a lot when driving. Is there a way to "tighten" it up and make quiet?

Also just put a new house battery in the motorhome and went out to get a forgotten item last night to find it's dead. How much draw is the walkie-talkie charger that seems to be on all the time? Other parasites? (yes, I forgot to turn off the house battery switch)

Old 03-12-2006, 05:17 AM   #3

Ray,the mirco making a noise could be rubbing a wall or cabinet. You may have to use some shims to tighten up.
Some of the draw on the battery-LP Detector,Antenna Booster,Refrigerator and Inverter.

Joe

An Indian and a Gypsy
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:23 AM   #4

It may not be the microwave that is making the noise,check the flapper vent going thru the outside wall of the motorhome.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Old 03-12-2006, 06:20 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If the microwave has a rotating plate inside, either the plate of the rotate mechanism can rattle when going down the road. We always remove ours and store it in a drawer while traveling.

Chances are the battery was not fully charged when you put it in - it takes 24-48 hours in the rig to bring it up to a full charge.

There are a number of parasitic loads on the battery system, sometimes averaging as much as 1-2 amps/hour. A typical 12V size 24 battery has about 85 amp-hours when fully charged but only about 50-60% of this can be used before the battery voltage drops too low to be meaningful, so your effective capacity is about 50 amp-hours per battery.

You mentioned "a" new house battery, as opposed to multiples. How many batteries does your rig have? Usually there are at least two for the house and at least one more for the engine. Which one(s) did you replace? If you replaced only one of a pair, the other old one may have drawn down the new one.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #6

The suggestion about the turntable inside the microwave may solve the problem. If not, check the mounting screws. My microwave is kept in place by running long screws up through the cabined and into the "feet" of the microwave. If your microwave is similar, check for loose screws (in the microwave )

Art
agkcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 03:36 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Ours drove us nuts for a long time, turned out to be the vent flapper,as Ed said, had to close the cover outside, used the awning tool.

Tow 2001 PT Cruiser
Colette and Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:10 PM   #8

Thanks to all who responded. I've wedged some rubber washers between the microwave and the metal mounting slots to see if that will slow down the rattle. Didn't see exactly how the mounting screws are but will continue to narrow down the problem.

RE: Battery (just one). It previously had 3 12v batteries for the house and 2 starting batteries. In previous rigs I've had 6v batteries for the house but am trying 1 Werker Indestrial pro battery (it's physically the size of 3 reg 12v batteries) from Batteries Plus. I'll know more after next weekend when we'll dry camp for 3 days at Quartsite, AZ. Sorry I don't have the exact specs in front of me right now but I'll be happy to answer questions about our success or not after the next trip.

thanks again
Old 03-13-2006, 01:23 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Ray S. welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad you have found and joined us here. If you will list the make & Model # I will see if I can find the installation specs (if needed) and tell you how it is mounted and possible soultions. Sounds like you have installed an 8D size battery. After charging be sure all cells are of equal specific gravity with a hydrometer. If one is signifacantly lower then it has a bad cell and the battery should be replaced. Good luck and enjoy the website.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:35 PM   #10

My wife cuts a paper towel tube to fit & jams it between the top of the microwave & the turntable while we are traveling. Can reuse it over & over. Works real well to cut down on rattles & prevent breakage.