Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #1

Microwave Vent????

During my last trip I had an occasion to get an item out of the cabinet above the microwave. In doing so I noticed that the item was not actually wet but kind of damp. Had been using the microwave just prior to this discovery.

I looked in the cabinet and there is no vent. Should there be?

If there is no vent for the microwave that means there is no exhaust vent for the hood that is over the stove.

Both the microwave and the stove are on an inside wall. They back up to the bathroom.

Anyone have any suggestions on what, if anything, should be done?

Thanks for the help......
iquilt888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 10:02 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
microwaves generally don't vent to anywhere but inside , your stove vent should be going to the outside... my flap on that drives me nuts when we are running down the road.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:09 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
The microwave often vent around the sides and back in the space between cabinet and wall. Your fan driven vent over the stove should be vented to the outside by a rectangular plastic vent on side near where the stove is. Set microwave on lowest setting, put a bowl of water in it and turn it on. Then feel around the front, back, and sides to see if you feel the air flow. You should not be venting into the cabinet above, mold could develop.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:00 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Most motor homes vent the microwave back into the coach. I just installed a new Sharp today. It came from the manufacturer with it set from the factory with interior vent.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:04 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You can get kits for any MW that vents out the side. A new one usually has the parts for inside and outside venting. My old MH had a side vent. My new MW had the parts for both. So I just vented the new MW out the side like the old one.

Our present MH has an inside vent. If/when I upgrade this one, I will install an outside vent and use the outside vent parts from the new MW.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
microwaves generally don't vent to anywhere but inside , your stove vent should be going to the outside... my flap on that drives me nuts when we are running down the road.
Marty, on my 5er, the outside vent had 2 tabs you could move to keep the vent/flap closed. The thing is, you have to remember if you left it closed or not.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent