Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2008, 03:25 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
The microwave would not heat, (barely warms) under inverted power even with the batteries at full charge and the engine running. Have to start the genset to get it to heat appropriately. First, I'm sure this is really bad for the microwave and second it should work under battery power no problem.

Two things:

I thought that my batteries were going bad. However, Newmar just checked all the batteries, adjusted the inverter and cleaned all the posts. They said the batteries were in great condition. They have an electronic piece of equipment that does a complete analysis. Also, specific gravity came in great.

Secondly, I do not believe there to have been any other major draws at the time of use, e.g. toaster, hair dryer. The only thing that might have been running is the HydroHot fans.

Any ideas out there?
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2008, 03:25 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The microwave would not heat, (barely warms) under inverted power even with the batteries at full charge and the engine running. Have to start the genset to get it to heat appropriately. First, I'm sure this is really bad for the microwave and second it should work under battery power no problem.

Two things:

I thought that my batteries were going bad. However, Newmar just checked all the batteries, adjusted the inverter and cleaned all the posts. They said the batteries were in great condition. They have an electronic piece of equipment that does a complete analysis. Also, specific gravity came in great.

Secondly, I do not believe there to have been any other major draws at the time of use, e.g. toaster, hair dryer. The only thing that might have been running is the HydroHot fans.

Any ideas out there?
Old 02-09-2008, 03:34 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The first thing I would do is check the voltage at the microwave 120v receptacle, with the microwave on and off, and also on inverter power and shore power or generator power.

If you have a modified sine wave inverter, and you have the proper voltage, then I would think the microwave is damaged and will no longer work on a modified sine wave.

If you have a pure sine wave inverter, it almost has to be low voltage at the microwave receptacle when on inverter power.

The inverter will put out the proper voltage until it shuts down from low battery voltage.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:21 AM   #4

Just attended a seminar at the FMCA SEA rally on generators and electricity. The microwave lack of performance issue came up and it was said the first thing to do is check voltage.

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:24 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Gotta be a voltage issue as the microwave works great when on shore/genset power.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Microwaves are sensitive to the wave form of the AC power some may not perform well on modified sine inverters. Sometimes they do not work at all. But if the inverter was standard equipment in your Dutch Star, then the microwave should also be compatible and I would look elsewhere for the problem.

Microwaves are BIG power consumers and it is possible the large AC current draw is dropping the voltage in your batteries almost instantly. Can you monitor the battery voltage while the inverter is running and see what happens when the micro is on?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #7

Don't recall the source, but recently read that micowaves only receive approx. 60% of power from msw inverters. You may want to research that. Sorry that I can't be more helpful than that.
Dolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I've seen the 60% power figure too. It probably applies to at least some brands, but not universally. It will depend on the design of the particular model. Just don't be surprised when things don't cook as rapidly when on the inverter.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:03 PM   #9

It could be the modified sine wave that causes the problem, with a true sine wave the peak voltage is something like 172 volts (can't remember off the top of my head what it actually is) and with the modified sine wave I think it caps at a much lower voltage which may not be enough to charge the high voltage capacitor in the microwave. Any engineers out there? They could explain it better, or at least confuse us more.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The lower peak voltage vs the capacitor is the explanation I read too. Makes sense to me, knowing a bit about how microwaves generate the radiation to cook with.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #11

Scott, my microwave makes a humming noise when powered by the inverter. I was told it was due to the MSW inverter. We only use the microwave when plugged in or the genset is running.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:13 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
I think you need to provide more info.
a)What size inverter
b)true sine or modified sine wave ?
c)What size uWave
Your factory info may not like modified sine wave.
Your inverter may be too small

????

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #13

As others have stated, if you have a 'modified sine wave' inverter, that explains the slow cooking. The microwave's cooking power is dependent on the peak voltage of the AC power, which is 162 with a 115 volt sine wave, and at best 140 with a 115 volt 'modified' sine wave.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Scott;

I have not tried ours strictly on battery alone but it works well while underway. We have a combination convection/microwave and we have used both while traveling.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote