Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2006, 04:50 PM   #1

Having been caught in tornadic conditions a few years ago in the Kansas City Area, and hearing about the extreme weather systems moving through the Mid West and South the past couple of weeks, makes me wonder what can you do in such a situation? Do you avoid the middle of the country in the spring? Are the dangers less than they seem? Do you go where you want and hope for the best?

I was chased from Las Vegas to Oklahoma City about five years ago by such a system, and the motel I finally checked into had just had its front doors ripped off. Fortunately they had an enclosed parking area, so we were safe for the night and awoke to a beautiful morning, with the storm ripping up buildings all the way to Wisconsin.

Is it enough to be cautious, or is there more we can do to be safe and still travel?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2006, 04:50 PM   #2

Having been caught in tornadic conditions a few years ago in the Kansas City Area, and hearing about the extreme weather systems moving through the Mid West and South the past couple of weeks, makes me wonder what can you do in such a situation? Do you avoid the middle of the country in the spring? Are the dangers less than they seem? Do you go where you want and hope for the best?

I was chased from Las Vegas to Oklahoma City about five years ago by such a system, and the motel I finally checked into had just had its front doors ripped off. Fortunately they had an enclosed parking area, so we were safe for the night and awoke to a beautiful morning, with the storm ripping up buildings all the way to Wisconsin.

Is it enough to be cautious, or is there more we can do to be safe and still travel?

Old 04-15-2006, 06:57 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have to keep it in perpestive, yes storms come through certain areas at certain times of the year, but the area those storms actually cause damage to compared to the whole area in question is a small percent and your chances of actually being in the "thick of it" is also a small percent. I've lived in the same town of Baraboo, Wisconsin all my life of over 51 years. We have tornado watches every year, even an occassional flood warning, but I've never actually suffered any type of storm damage- unless you count a sore back from shoveling snow - so I wouldn't let this thing concern me. Obviously if the weather man says something is coming right at you for sure and you have time to get out of the way, like for a hurricane, I would go elsewhere. But I wouldn't avoid an area just on the chance there might be a storm while I'm there.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:17 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
We purchased a good weather radio that we could program for areas of the country we did not know the weather patterns. If the local or national weather service issues a warning we then make a decesion as to where we go to get out of the motorhome where it is safer until the storm passes.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote