Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2016, 11:34 PM   #1

MIDI fuse, need longer ones

i have a need for 50a midi fuses, like this

but, what i am doing requires the length to be 2.5" center to center between the mounting holes. i searched around, it seems all are much shorter, nobody makes one in that length.

thought to solder an piece of copper to one of the ends, but in fear that the fuse could be melted during soldering... will solid rivet do the job? (5/16" hole though).

any idea?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2016, 06:08 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
CountryFit-

I suspect you need a different fuse design. Among the helpful reference material available at this Blue Sea Systems link is this fuse chart. I also like their wire size, fuse and fuse holder selection chart, at this link.

l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:28 AM   #3
YC1

Try Digikey or Allied Electronics
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:56 AM   #4

thanks both of you! i just called digikey and allied electronics, what they all have are the shorter ones. digikey said they can custom order for me, but require minimum 500 pcs and 7 weeks turn around...

in my application, other fuse types won't fit the space well.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
in my application, other fuse types won't fit the space well.
Hmmm. I find that when I'm dealing with a safety device, such as a fuse, it pays to use standard components. If you must have approximately 2.5 inches center-to-center, consider the ANL fuse. Here's a link to a dimensioned drawing, a link to a Blue Sea 50A ANL fuse, and a link to their matching fuse holders. The MSRP on the fuse is $19.99.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Hmmm. I find that when I'm dealing with a safety device, such as a fuse, it pays to use standard components. If you must have approximately 2.5 inches center-to-center, consider the ANL fuse. Here's a link to a dimensioned drawing, a link to a Blue Sea 50A ANL fuse, and a link to their matching fuse holders. The MSRP on the fuse is $19.99.
thanks mark, this might work!
i'll call them to find the voltage drop.
i love this board!
Old 12-14-2016, 11:03 PM   #7

What was there?

If you have a real fuse holder and no fuse then need to find correct fuse.

If making something make it correct size.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
What was there?

If you have a real fuse holder and no fuse then need to find correct fuse.

If making something make it correct size.
among 4 li cells in series, if one goes kaput, its resistance will become 0 (not a typo). the other 3 in the series will suffer from the high current flow through, eventually one by one they all will go to the same destination. in that case, the line is essentially being "shorted", causing all neighboring cells in series then paralleled with this "shorted" line to overheat thus to create a fire.

if one has bms and it works as designed, no problem, the bms will take care of it. but i have heard more than once the bms failed to act. for me, i don't use bms but use just a balancer.

in the past 1.5 years, i have been using this for each group of 4 cells in series:

considering 13 groups, that is a lot of wires.

now i'd like to place a midi or anl fuse in each group without using above block. mark's link is promising though pricey . if a dead cell ever happens, the fuse will be burned, safe for the whole system. make sense at all?
Old 12-15-2016, 08:28 AM   #9

Cool.

There are many sources of aftermarket wiring supplies where these things can be reviewed and ordered.

We use a place in Fresno called mid term supply for last 30 plus years for automotive stuff.

They have lots of interesting things as does digital key.

They are a small operation and owner is sharp and does work the phone.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It could be McGyvered a little. Take a 12 volt battery lug, squeeze the round cable opening in a vice until it starts to flatten out. Slide one end of your fuse in the opening and then completely crimp the end onto the fuse. Obviously, you would need to see if the lug and fuse together meet your length requirement. You could even drive a rivet through the two where they connect.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
but in fear that the fuse could be melted during soldering...
To prevent the soldering heat from potentially damaging the fuse, before soldering, grasp the tab, up against the fuse body, with a pair of long nose pliers. The pliers will act as a heat sink and the soldering heat will not get past the pliers into the fuse body.

If you don't have a helper to hold the pliers, use a rubber band around the handles.

Tim
Old 12-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #12

thank you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
We use a place in Fresno called mid term supply for last 30 plus years for automotive stuff.
i called mid term, the guy was very nice, but they don't have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
It could be McGyvered a little. Take a 12 volt battery lug, squeeze the round cable opening in a vice until it starts to flatten out. Slide one end of your fuse in the opening and then completely crimp the end onto the fuse. Obviously, you would need to see if the lug and fuse together meet your length requirement. You could even drive a rivet through the two where they connect.
what an idea . if i can find a right size lug and flatten it with a mallet while the fuse is in, it should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post
To prevent the soldering heat from potentially damaging the fuse, before soldering, grasp the tab, up against the fuse body, with a pair of long nose pliers. The pliers will act as a heat sink and the soldering heat will not get past the pliers into the fuse body.

If you don't have a helper to hold the pliers, use a rubber band around the handles.

Tim
this is another nice approach . looks like i many many options!

Tags
fuse