Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #15
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarne View Post
I've got a 2005 Monaco, 31' with 2 slides, V10. Just got back from Fl towing a Wrangler, 4 down. Adv over 4000 miles was 7MPG. Everyone I talk too says should do closer to 10. I'm driving under the speed limit. Easy on the throttle. Suggestions?
That's what we get with our 2000 32' HR no slide V10. We drive around 60mph on the open road.

SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2011, 04:56 AM   #16

Thumbs up Thanks

I'm still stumbling around this web site so bear with me.

Just want to thank everyone that replied. My concern wasn't as much the $ spent as it was that I had a problem with my RV. I feel better knowing I'm in the ball park, and that there are at least 15 honest people left that know how to do math!

Think I'm going to like it here.

Thanks
Don

Old 04-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ALL:

Stogie mentioned in post #11 above that all ya gotta do to achieve 10 mpg is to always go downhill with a tailwind. WELL,....I've been goin down hill for a number of years already, and, our mileage hasn't improved a bit!

Steve & Lynette
Old 04-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #18

With 6 less cylinders, a MAX speed of 63mph on flat grounds(towing or not) and a Honda civic as a toad our 28'er squeezes 10-11 avg and a best of 12.5 mostly downhill and I'm sure with wind at our tail the whole drive

Lots of V-10 folks worry about mpg, but I never hear any complaints as you click your left turn signal, press on the gas and blaze on past our rig. Especially up some of these mountain climbs where we've been slowed to a 15mph crawl and you could easily cruise at 35 up it.

Don't worry. Be happy.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
7 Sounds "in range" to me, depending on how heavy you load it.. Here are a few things that can increase millage.

1: Water... I don't know about your capacities but I hold over 100 gallons of waste and 80 of fresh,, that's over 1500 pounds.. Empty the black and gray tanks, and run with the fresh tank only partially filled if you cn (Say 1/3 full)

WASH AND WAX... I'm not kidding, A good, quality wax job can make a SERIOUS improvement in MPG.. I've seen 20 % or more on occasions. I'll be doing my rig next week.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
One thing we often forget when talking about our milage is when we stop and use the genset for dinner or air conditioning, we're sucking up gas. Plan on 7 hope for 7.5 and scream for joy at 8 or anything over that.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #21

There are two different guys in our camping club with the same set-up as you as they run in the 7 range with or without a toad. During the 35 plus years I've been RVing I've found almost everyone out there gets better milage than I get regardless of what I do or drive. Having said that there are a couple ways to make it sound better. 1. Have the other guy tell their milage first so you know how much to add to yours to beat it 2. Don't count all the fuel you put in the tank, your milage will sound really good then. Seriously, it is what it is, so enjoy the RV experience in spite of it.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #22

I have a Flair 1991 on a E350 chassis with a ford 460 EFI. got 5 MPG going to cisco grove ,CA. uphill and 9MPG cuming back. I live near Stockton. That averages to 7MPG. Thats about right.

Jim
Old 04-24-2011, 01:17 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5 jeeper View Post
It is funny, no matter what I drive or how I drive, if someone starts talking gas mileage they do much better. I have learned that when I buy gas do not write it down, and no matter what kind of mileage you get I have you beat by at least 2mpg. If I want to save gas I will stay home. If I want to go someplace I will take my own house, bed, and pets. If I run out of gas I will be stuck until I get more money. It has not happened yet, but if it does oh well!
..........Well spoken I like the way you put it......good stuff. Good luck and travel safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
WASH AND WAX... I'm not kidding, A good, quality wax job can make a SERIOUS improvement in MPG.. I've seen 20 % or more on occasions.
Now that's a ridiculous claim !!! But, I guess opinions are what these forums are all about.

I've had two coaches with the V-10, one a 30' Winnebago and the other my current 37' Newmar, and they both have averaged between 6.5 and 7.5 mpg towing a small car depending on conditions. Anyone stating mileage on a V-10 in the 8-10 range is suspect in my book.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #25
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=DandS; Anyone stating mileage on a V-10 in the 8-10 range is suspect in my book.[/QUOTE]

They might have the odometer set for Kilometers. If not , I agree

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
Hi ALL:

Stogie mentioned in post #11 above that all ya gotta do to achieve 10 mpg is to always go downhill with a tailwind. WELL,....I've been goin down hill for a number of years already, and, our mileage hasn't improved a bit!

Steve & Lynette
I will reserve opinion on that until your wife chimes in on the state of your your mileage!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #27

We have a 2002 Fleetwood Fiesta 31H V10 and tow a 2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtra cab. The MH weighs about 14,500# loaded and the Toyota weighs 3200#. Last year we took a trip to the west coast. We left Ocala, FL took I10 to I20 to I40 to Albuquerque, then down to I8 to San Diego, north to Santa Cruz, up 101 to Florence, OR then to Portland. Portland to Spokane, WA, thru Idaho, Montana, Wyoming to Mt.Rushmore, then to St Louis and home to Ocala. 7300 miles, almost all freeway driving except 101. Averaged 8.55 mpg driving 55 to 60 mph.