Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The 5.9b 12valve with 7100 fuel pump and 3060 Alison is a awesome combination to me and the millage per tank always surprises me too!!!
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 08:51 AM   #72

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Miller View Post
The 5.9b 12valve with 7100 fuel pump and 3060 Alison is a awesome combination to me and the millage per tank always surprises me too!!!
I have the first electronic version of the 24 valve ISB 5.9L and my economy varies 9-12. Cummins computer reads out 10.1 for 100000.
MD3060 tranny. Believe it . It is true. My toad is 4000.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:54 AM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greystroke View Post
I have the first electronic version of the 24 valve ISB 5.9L and my economy varies 9-12. Cummins computer reads out 10.1 for 100000.
MD3060 tranny. Believe it . It is true. My toad is 4000.
Thanks ... it's making a believer outa me... We love ours they should still be making them !!
Safe-T-Plus
Old 07-20-2016, 08:58 AM   #74

Quote:
I can get 12 all day pulling my toad at 65 ....

Quote:
Pa Miller
Good for you!
As you have seen 12MPG IS "unusual"...(Enjoy it).
Mel
'96 Safari, 8.5 MPG towing a Saturn ION
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Pa Miller
Good for you!
As you have seen 12MPG IS "unusual"...(Enjoy it).
Mel
'96 Safari, 8.5 MPG towing a Saturn ION
Thanks Mel
Safe-T-Plus
Old 07-21-2016, 04:29 PM   #76

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
12 mpg is great. You have a choice, small lighter coach and good mpg, or larger heavier coach with bad mpg.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:19 PM   #77

National RV Owners Club
I had a 28 foot 1991 Safari Trek on an Isuzu chassis powered by a four cylinder diesel. Got real good mileage but was slow on hills and limited on towing capacity. Kind of wish I still had it.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:03 PM   #78

Quote:
Agreed.

I'm one of those spreadsheet geeks... so below is the data from our last trip.

I used a constant for gallons per hour of generator fuel in order to try and separate the fuel usage of the cummins from the onan... The generator manual says .9gph is the fuel usage at full load. There is nothing in the manual that says what no load usage is, but I have read it's probably around .3gph. It's a 7500kw diesel... it's not the inverter type that regulates rpm based on load... It runs 1800 rpm all the time. I settled on an estimate of .5gph to run the generator.

As you can see... over the course of our 7500 mile trip, the cummins averaged 11.3mpg. FYI... For every .1gph change you make up or down on the generator, you get a .2mpg change up or down (respectively) on the cummins.

For further reference... our rig is 35' long and weighs 19,000 empty (well... with me in it). We do not pull a toad.

You can see how it's impossible to check mileage on a single tank. The trip mileage ranges from 9.4 to 13.5... The reason is because on a large fuel tank (ours is only 90 gallons) you can easily be off perhaps 10 gallons from one fill up to the next depending on how level you are sitting at the station. You have to take a running average... and if you can... make the starting and ending fill ups at the same pump.

-cheers

Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:50 PM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow Piker !! lot of good info there I like stats too..... I have a place I fill up every time we return from a little over 800 miles my tank suppose to hold 130 gals I keep it full .. What engine and tran are you running !!
Safe-T-Plus
Old 07-21-2016, 07:58 PM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
12 mpg is great. You have a choice, small lighter coach and good mpg, or larger heavier coach with bad mpg.
True Cat , I do most all the work on mine..... got to be ready to roll when the boss says so... lol I guess it's all about what you need or want in a coach .. We have adapted to our small one perrty good for just the two of us.. Hope fuel prices stay down for about 25 years lol !!! Planning on putting a lot more miles on this one !
Safe-T-Plus
Old 07-22-2016, 04:04 AM   #81

Quote:
Wow Piker !! lot of good info there I like stats too..... I have a place I fill up every time we return from a little over 800 miles my tank suppose to hold 130 gals I keep it full .. What engine and tran are you running !!
It's the old 12valve MD3060 combo. I've tinkered with the engine a bit - slight adjustment to the AFC... machined the fuel plate to mimick a #10 TST... adjusted the boost up to 32 lbs... and made the exhaust "free flowing." Just based on TST's charts, I'm guessing its around 300hp now. Give or take. Runs really good... the #10 is tuned a little hot for a 10 ton rig, so I do have to watch the EGT gage. To make sure I don't cook anything, I wired a buzzer up to the EGT gage that goes off when it starts to get too hot. Works slick. I saw no noticeable drop in fuel economy when I made the changes... but to be fair, I didn't have a spreadsheet before the changes.

In my mind, I kind of like the smaller class A's for maneuverability. I can go pretty much wherever I want and don't feel the need for a toad. Although maybe someday I'll pull a toad just for fun... but that's down the road a ways...

-cheers
Old 07-22-2016, 07:01 AM   #82

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
It's the old 12valve MD3060 combo. I've tinkered with the engine a bit - slight adjustment to the AFC... machined the fuel plate to mimick a #10 TST... adjusted the boost up to 32 lbs... and made the exhaust "free flowing." Just based on TST's charts, I'm guessing its around 300hp now. Give or take. Runs really good... the #10 is tuned a little hot for a 10 ton rig, so I do have to watch the EGT gage. To make sure I don't cook anything, I wired a buzzer up to the EGT gage that goes off when it starts to get too hot. Works slick. I saw no noticeable drop in fuel economy when I made the changes... but to be fair, I didn't have a spreadsheet before the changes.

In my mind, I kind of like the smaller class A's for maneuverability. I can go pretty much wherever I want and don't feel the need for a toad. Although maybe someday I'll pull a toad just for fun... but that's down the road a ways...

-cheers
Same combo as mine , if you ever do pull a toad ours pulls the HHR like's not even there ... Have a great day !
Safe-T-Plus
Old 07-22-2016, 09:11 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
The trip mileage ranges from 9.4 to 13.5...
Piker

The overall MPG of my coach is just over 8.5, (actually 8.525 MPG).

That overall MPG was calculated by dividing the total number of miles I've driven my coach, (148,427), by the number of gallons of diesel fuel I purchased (17,411).

How many miles per gallon does your coach get overall?

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:00 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Piker

The overall MPG of my coach is just over 8.5, (actually 8.525 MPG).

That overall MPG was calculated by dividing the total number of miles I've driven my coach, (148,427), by the number of gallons of diesel fuel I purchased (17,411).

How many miles per gallon does your coach get overall?

Mel
'96 Safari
When I say the "trip mileage" I'm referring to just the miles between each fill up... as if using the "trip" meter on your odometer. It varies because of the amount of fuel you can actually get into the tank at each fill up.

The "Engine Mile Per Gallon Running Average" column recalculates the average fuel economy at each fill up. After 7461 miles, we measured 660.1 gallons of fuel through the Cummins... the average then is 11.3 for the Cummins.

There was an additional 61.3 gallons of diesel that is estimated to have run through the generator over the 122.6 hours that we used it on this particular cross country venture... you can see that the column at the end is labeled "overall mpg running average..." this recalculates (at each fill up) the average miles per gallon and includes whatever fuel the generator used. This turned out to be 10.3 on the spreadsheet.

I guess I could have labeled the columns a little more descriptively for everyone...

-cheers