Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2006, 09:04 AM   #1

my cat distroyed all the mini blinds in our mh
is there any tips for installing new ones

bill

ham call kk6dm
duner bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2006, 09:04 AM   #2

my cat distroyed all the mini blinds in our mh
is there any tips for installing new ones

bill

ham call kk6dm
Old 03-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Step 1: Hobble the cat, and/or find it a new home
Step 2: Measure and/or take the remnants to a blind/window covering place. They likely would be able to fit you better than off the rack at Home Depot, etc, although checking at Lowes/Home Depot wouldn't hurt first either.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:06 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check with the manufacturer/dealer of your motorhome too to see if you can get factory replacements. If not mangled too badly might they be restrung? Or it may be a good time to look at some other type of blinds completely different than what you had for a change in the looks of your interior, when given a lemon make lemonade- don't forget to thank your cat if that's the way you go!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:13 PM   #5

went to home show found dealers who may install them
or ill take them out

still have the cat he was locked in for 3 days

ham call kk6dm
Old 03-09-2006, 12:02 PM   #6

The strings broke on our Day/Night blind behind our sofa. We took the blind down and were going to either have it restrung, or restring it ourselves (following some great info found here). In the meantime, we bought a mini-blind at Home Depot and had it cut to fit the window. Jim put it up. It was supposed to be temporary, but I really like it. Being able to adjust the blinds up/down lets me filter the light. Plus it lets more air in when the window is open, and it is much easier to adjust.

Last week the large Day/Night on the other side of the living area broke. So we bought another vinyl blind and put it up. Wow! It makes the coach so much more open and bright. Now both of the old ones are under the bed in our house and will probably stay there until we sell the motorhome. The buyers can have them restrung if they want, but I'm sticking with the mini-blinds.

Getting the mounting brackets installed and then getting the blind to slide into them was impossible due to the soffit/valance frame around the windows. Jim found that the easiest way was to just hold the blind up where it should be and drill screws right into the overhead cabinet above the window. It works great.

I'm thinking about getting another small one to put on the other living area window so they all match.

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:52 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">it lets more air in when the window is open, and it is much easier to adjust. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't understand that at all, as the day/night blinds raise up above the window just like the mini-blinds can ...maybe you mean with the blinds down. We don't keep our day/night blinds down at all during the day as I want to see out, and the windows are tinted enough that you cannot see through from the outside ...at night we close just the "day" part up front as with the blinds and our heavily tinted windows you can barely see shapes through the blinds.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Getting the mounting brackets installed and then getting the blind to slide into them was impossible due to the soffit/valance frame around the windows. Jim found that the easiest way was to just hold the blind up where it should be and drill screws right into the overhead cabinet above the window. It works great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The valences aren't normally that hard to remove. Looking at our coach, I can't imagine fastening the blinds to the cabinets above the windows as they would be quite a distance from the windows outside the valences... ...to each their own I guess...
Old 03-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe your windows are tinted darker than ours or your day shades heavier than ours because I can difinatley see detail through our windows during the day with no shades and the same thing at night with just day shades drawn. Maybe your eyes aren't as good in dim light situations as they used to be? You might want to consider this as your neighbor's eyes might be better in low light situations.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:40 AM   #9

WOW!!!

Thank you for your concern, but my eyes are just great, and I don't much care about my neighbor's eyes one way or the other.

I was not complaining about my tinted windows.. I think they are wonderful!

And, we did NOT hang the blinds on the outside of the upholstered soffit... as I wrote in my post, we hung them exactly where the day/nights were. We merely screwed them into the top of the soffit, which is attached to the bottom of the cabinets, instead of into the wall. They look exactly as they should look when hanging. And they look very nice.

Nor did I say that my coach was dim and dark. It isn't. Our floor plan is almost identical to the 40E. Except , as a gasser, our door is where the dinette is, and our dining table is where the 2nd sofa is. There is also an entertainment unit behind the co-pilot seat (like the 40AD & 38J) so the window at the table is not as wide. This does cut down on the amount of light and ventilation we have, but we love the floorplan.

The only reason we replaced the blind over the sofa was because the strings broke and we were leaving on a trip and needed something temporary to cover the windows. Then we decided that we liked the temporary fix better than the original blinds.

Now, we no longer have to deal with the shades slipping down... as they tend to do. And, yes, we know how to adjust them, but they are still a pain in the you know what (as evidenced by other complaints on this forum).

I also like the fact that the mini-blinds are easier for me to use and adjust. I don't have to get on my knees on the sofa (and strain my very arthritic neck/shoulders) every time I want to open/close the blinds. Plus, I can angle the blinds to adjust how much light to let in. I can have both privacy and ventilation at the same time.

Our homes on the road
Old 03-13-2006, 01:25 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Got the picture now ...I thought you were saying it was impossible to get the blinds installed inside the soffit/valances (someone else called them Lambrikins several months ago ..whatever). Our day/night shades are also screwed to the top of whatever those things are.

We haven't had any problems with the day/night shades not staying up if that's where we want 'em, but I have heard of some having that problem. We did have to have the large one in the bedroom re-strung a few months ago.

I can see that the mini blinds could be easier to adjust/close/etc. And air can go through them easier when they are down. We have mini blinds on the galley windows under the microwave and the bathroom window. They are attached at the bottom so require unhooking if you want them raised. We tend to just leave them alone.

We do get some noise out of the galley window occasionally while driving. Do you get noise from the ones you added while driving? I presume they are anchored at the bottom?
Old 03-13-2006, 02:11 PM   #11

I don't know what to call the upholstered window frame either...

We haven't anchored them and we get no noise (so far). We bought the vinyl blinds instead of the aluminum ones.

Our small bathroom window has aluminum blinds and they rattle if they aren't in their fastener at the bottom of the window.

We haven't travelled since putting the blind over the dining table, but it didn't rattle while driving to/from the dealer recently. We got a size for the dining room window that hangs just to the bottom of the window. If it rattles, I will just raise it while on the road.

The one behind our sofa was intended to be temporary, so we didn't shorten it... it just hangs down to the floor behind the sofa, and is out of sight. Now that we are going to keep them up, Jim will have to shorten it to fit the window.... which will probably make them rattle.

But I love them, so they are staying.

Our homes on the road
Old 03-13-2006, 03:20 PM   #12

dunerbill,

I think this site could probably help you out with your blinds.

http://www.vehiclespecialty.com/window.html

Take care.

2004 Newmar Kountry Star 3560
RobAndTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:54 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I had my other blinds 5 years and none broke. We have had 3 break in this coach. I am going to put mini blinds at the dinette. Easy to clean and adjust. I'm going to restring this blind and keep it until the one behind the sofa breaks. These blinds are so hard to put up and down that I have to get on my knees on the dinnette and sofa and I'm sure tired of them.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:53 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
You blinds need adjusted.

Keep taking a loop of each spool until they will not stay up. Then add one loop at a time until they do stay up. The blinds should then operate smoothly.

Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote