Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #1

I'm a new RV owner and just purchased my first "used" RV. 1996 Georgie Boy Cruise Master with Chevy 454/P37 Chassis.

The four rear tires are 10 years old (look great but that's too old). The front 2 are less than 2 years old. The front two are Goodyear G670s.

My question is, is it OK to mix the brands? My thinking is that I would place two new Michelins on the front and move the two Goodyears to the rear (with the other two new tires). Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

2011 Tiffin Phaeton, Freightliner, Cummins
gatorcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just replaced 2 tires on my PU Truck and they said the new tires have to go on the drive wheels now. Not sure about MH rules but if they are the same then the new tires will have to go on the rear.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Ideally, the tires on dual rear wheels should be matched pairs. Differing loaded rolling radii due to differences between manufacturers, models of tire or even wear (i.e., using a worn tire with a new tire) can result in the larger radius tire carrying a disproportionate share of the load.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #4

Sounds like my best bet would be to go with 4 new Goodyears or buy 6 new michelins.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #5

size matters..
if they are the same diameter they will work ok.
tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi gatorcruz,
Welcome to iRV2. Consider purchasing 4 or 6 Michelins. New tires go on the rear axle. As long as all of the tires are radial, Michelins on the rear and Goodyear on the front should be okay.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #7

Looks like Costco has the Michelins for $310 ea. That is a lot more than I have ever paid for a tire so it seems high (especially when you multiply it by 6) but from what I have seen so far, it may be a good deal.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Goodyear G670s.

My question is, is it OK to mix the brands? My thinking is that I would place two new Michelins on the front and move the two Goodyears to the rear (with the other two new tires). Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.
I would not mix tires on duals. I had a blowout and the different brand tire that was replaced did not actually touch the ground. I drove a long way before I discovered the condition.

Bob

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:20 PM   #9

I was faced with a similar situation - all 6 tires were 5 years old and there was a cut in one of the rear ones. I had to put a lot of money in my "new" RV to get it to pass inspection, so my tire strategy was to have the shop pull all 6 and put the best 4 on the rear and 2 new ones on the front. I asked them to let me know if they couldn't find 4 good ones for the rear - tires they would be willing to have their family ride on. They found 5 of the tires to be acceptable, the only one that wasn't was the one with the cut. My plan is to replace the rear tires this fall.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by gatorcruz:
I'm a new RV owner and just purchased my first "used" RV. 1996 Georgie Boy Cruise Master with Chevy 454/P37 Chassis.

The four rear tires are 10 years old (look great but that's too old). The front 2 are less than 2 years old. The front two are Goodyear G670s.

Thanks.
If you replace one part of the dual pair then you should replace both unless you blew out a brand new tire that had very little wear on it and have an exact match to replace it with. Duals pairs should be the same brand and from the same lot. You have a lot of value riding on those tires, your friends and family.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:56 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
If the tires are the same size, same load rating and are within 1/4" height difference when mounted on wheels and properly inflated before installation on the vehicle, you should not be overly concerned. That is a common rule of thumb in the tire business. Yes, the ideal is always a perfectly matched pair but there are times you may have to compromise.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:31 AM   #12

$310.00, Including Mounting and Balancing, is a VERY GOOD deal! JMO!
Let me guess: Michelin XRV tires. 245-70-19.5"?
Just like mine.
Jerry
Old 02-25-2009, 08:12 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by JerryForwood:
$310.00, Including Mounting and Balancing, is a VERY GOOD deal! JMO!

That is indeed a very good price. Just make sure that your Costco store will mount and balance them for that. All Costco stores are not equipped to do so.

Dieselclacker
Old 02-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #14

No problem! they are already on my Bounder. Their biggest problem is the amount of torque required for their torque wrench. Ford says 150 to 165lbs. and they could handle that.
OBTW, I use Equal so no balancing problems, but they said they would spin balance for the price quoted.
Jerry