Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2015, 09:14 PM   #15

I wonder if the new Monacos have hung wall construction like the days of old, or if they are laminated sidewalls. I thought I read fleetwood was all laminated sidewalls. Not sure on the American line. Aside from th me Monaco roadmaster chassis, I know the hung wall construction was a little different then some of the others. I think newmar, entegra, country coach and couple others has hung wall construction.

crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crah View Post
I wonder if the new Monacos have hung wall construction like the days of old, or if they are laminated sidewalls. I thought I read fleetwood was all laminated sidewalls. Not sure on the American line. Aside from th me Monaco roadmaster chassis, I know the hung wall construction was a little different then some of the others. I think newmar, entegra, country coach and couple others has hung wall construction.
I have always understood that the Monaco coaches always had laminated sidewalls.

Jim

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
I have always understood that the Monaco coaches always had laminated sidewalls.

Jim
Jim, I've heard the exact opposite. And on your semi monaquoque chassis, i don't think it's possible. From the videos I've seen on laminated sidewalls, the entire wall assembly lays on its side and very little metal is inside it. It is sandwiched together and then the entire wall is lifted on to the coach and attached to the floor and roof. Hung wall assembles the steel or aluminum frame first like a stick house, and then fiberglass and other assemblies are put together. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable then me will chime in. I always like the hung wall assembly more as it seems a lot more metal was inside the walls.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:54 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Halftimer,

I can tell you that ARG's service is second to none. I am having my coach serviced at their Coburg, OR service center and am very happy to see they are doing a great job with phone support, customer service and dealing with their customers owning new and old motorhomes.

Service is very important when considering what brand to buy. Having been on a tour of the Decatur factory I would say that the quality of all ARG brands should be equal and very good.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:03 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post
Hi Halftimer,

I can tell you that ARG's service is second to none. I am having my coach serviced at their Coburg, OR service center and am very happy to see they are doing a great job with phone support, customer service and dealing with their customers owning new and old motorhomes.

Service is very important when considering what brand to buy. Having been on a tour of the Decatur factory I would say that the quality of all ARG brands should be equal and very good.
That has been my experience as well. They fix what needs fixing, whether you've told them about it or not...without charge.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Jim, I've heard the exact opposite. And on your semi monaquoque chassis, i don't think it's possible. From the videos I've seen on laminated sidewalls, the entire wall assembly lays on its side and very little metal is inside it. It is sandwiched together and then the entire wall is lifted on to the coach and attached to the floor and roof. Hung wall assembles the steel or aluminum frame first like a stick house, and then fiberglass and other assemblies are put together. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable then me will chime in. I always like the hung wall assembly more as it seems a lot more metal was inside the walls.

Monaco has used a laminated, vac bonded wall at least since 2000 and I think much longer. Their version uses full framing inside the wall. I've seen the process but it's been a number of years and my birthday poisoning prevents any detail recall. I have the semi monocoque chassis and on a morning with heavy dew, you can see the steel structure. Lots of steel.

Look at a Monaco brochure and it calls out "laminated sidewalls" in the body construction area.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Monaco has used a laminated, vac bonded wall at least since 2000 and I think much longer. Their version uses full framing inside the wall. I've seen the process but it's been a number of years and my birthday poisoning prevents any detail recall. I have the semi monocoque chassis and on a morning with heavy dew, you can see the steel structure. Lots of steel.

Look at a Monaco brochure and it calls out "laminated sidewalls" in the body construction area.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Thanks Steve for the clarification. Than I'm totally confused. I thought laminated sidewalls were when they sandwich everything together and press/vacuum seal the assembly. I've see the process done that way. How do they laminate the wall assembly if the frame is already up? What is hung wall construction then?

Jim, sorry but it looks like you were correct.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I don't get the distinction either. A laminated wall is simply one that has the skin materials vacuum-bonded in a sandwich. You can laminate just the skin and then hang the skin on the frame, or you can laminate the skin to the frame ahead of time and install the frame & skin as one piece. Roof structure & skin can be done the same way. The amount of metal in the structure has nothing to do with it, nor is one method inherently better quality than another.

If you watch a stick house being built these days, it is not unusual for walls to be pre-assembled on the job site and then erected as a single piece. Sometimes just the wall frame, and sometimes the frame & sheathing together. It's the same sort of thing in RVs.

Newmar does the skin on a frame type of assembly. Their video shows how they do that.
https://youtu.be/p6909x7ZmUQ
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:11 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I don't get the distinction either. A laminated wall is simply one that has the skin materials vacuum-bonded in a sandwich. You can laminate just the skin and then hang the skin on the frame, or you can laminate the skin to the frame ahead of time and install the frame & skin as one piece. Roof structure & skin can be done the same way. The amount of metal in the structure has nothing to do with it, nor is one method inherently better quality than another.

If you watch a stick house being built these days, it is not unusual for walls to be pre-assembled on the job site and then erected as a single piece. Sometimes just the wall frame, and sometimes the frame & sheathing together. It's the same sort of thing in RVs.

Newmar does the skin on a frame type of assembly. Their video shows how they do that.
https://youtu.be/p6909x7ZmUQ

I think Gary is correct. I'm not sure that either method is better for the end user just different construction techniques.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 07-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #24

Quote:
Thanks Steve for the clarification. Than I'm totally confused. I thought laminated sidewalls were when they sandwich everything together and press/vacuum seal the assembly. I've see the process done that way. How do they laminate the wall assembly if the frame is already up? What is hung wall construction then?

Jim, sorry but it looks like you were correct.

You're right about the assembly. I think the diagram that's in some of the brochures is confusing. Those, particularly showing the semi monocoque chassis is to show how the load is distributed. If you notice, they don't show slide box openings either. The exact placement of framing in the laminated wall will vary widely depending on the slide configuration. Those diagrams are just a broad generalization.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07