Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #1

Monarch SCSI Frigette coach step

I have a 2005 Monarch SE and I'm having problem with the SCS Frigette steps. Electrically everything seems to operate the way it should but when step retract they shutter before stopping. By that I mean they retract then seem to start to extend an inch or so then retract again, it does this about five times then stops. When they stop this shuttering the steps do not seem fully retracted. It does not do this all the time, sometime they work perfectly.
LeeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #2

Have you worked through the Troubleshooting steps in the instruction manual?

Electric RV Steps :: Stromberg Carlson
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #3

I have used the troubleshooting, but they all deal with making sure the steps work properly from an electrical standpoint. And everything functions correctly but it just doesn't always seem to find the full retract position. I don't know how it knows when it is fully retracted, I don't see any limit switches, so how does it knows.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:40 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had the same problem, it ended up being the large shoulder bolt holding the wedge shaped gear was rusted to the gear. As the step would retract the bolt would unscrew and drop the gear down enough to not make full contact with the gear on the motor.

I removed the step assembly, ordered a new gear from SCSI Frigette, before installing the new gear drilled a 1/8" hole through the side of the tall boss into the bolt hole and installed a grease fitting.

Stromberg said they tried to stop this by welding the bolt in place.

Lots of work, but won't have this problem anymore
wndshldgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:33 PM   #5

Thanks gonefishin77 for the suggestion, sounds like a possibility. If it ever stops raining I will crawl under the MH and take a look at that bolt.

I'll let you know what I find.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #6

Gonefishin77 I took my steps apart today and the bolt you talked about was clean and free. While I was working I cleaned every joint and lubed everything. Still have the same problem. Thanks anyways for the suggestion.

I don't know how it knows when the steps are fully retracted so I am starting to think maybe the problem is right in the controller

I am including a video of the problem
Attached Files
Old 04-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #7

steps clacking

Just got finished repairing the steps. Pain in the neck for an old man to repair but it now works. The repair parts are available at most auto part stores Dorman part number 74410. They are little plastic parts that are guaranteed to break again. When the parts are used in a Ford door window they are not subjected to too much strain every time you use the window. Cheap parts that will fail when used in a step.

The step went clunk clunk clunk. All you need to do is get the spare parts from the auto store. Lay on the ground and get under the step. Three bolts hold on the motor. There are two spacers on each bolt. Remove the motor assembly only. There is a plastic pin holding on the cover above the gears. Remove the cover. Inside you will find the remains of the old plastic parts. Remove them. You will need to remove the small metal gear so you can install the new parts. I hooked the motor up to 12 volts and worked the motor back and forth to get the gear out. Install the new parts and put it back together. When reinstalling the motor remember to put the spacers back. Plug in the motor and it will work like new for a few years again.

This step may take the award for the worst engineered part of all time. I suggest you get some spare parts for when your goes out, it was only $9.20 for the three parts. New motor is $200 plus postage and $200 for labor from service center.
JGrosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #8

Thank you JGrosman. I went out got the repair parts as you suggested and an hour under the MH and now the steps are working great.

I was just about ready to order a new controller but the $10 repair kit did the trick.

Thanks again