Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #1

Montana LLC

Has anyone registered their MH with a Montana LLC recently and have a good referral? Thanks
f106pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have, this past spring.

I used one of those online llc creators, did that a couple of years ago tho, don't recall who. It was cheap.

My "registered agent" is a friend who lives in billings. (VERY helpful having a real friend there to do the running around, thanks john!)

I used destination financial for the rv loan. They were very good, excellent customer service, highly recommended. I believe they do llc's and registered agent and mail forwarding too.

The actual rv loan came from suntrust, 100k & 5.62% to the llc with my name on the loan as well. From what I'm told, suntrust is the only bank making rv loans to llc's.

My local state farm agent was more than willing to write the insurance showing the llc as owner.

Lazydays, who sold me the knight, refused to have anything to do with a montana llc, so I was completly on my own for the financing, registration, and insurance.

It was most handy having a real flesh and blood friend in billings willing and able to walk into the montana dmv and apply for title and plates, and take possession of the plates and send them to me.

Its worth noting that I am very careful to abide by the law of the state I live in, and to carefully document that the knight has never spent 30 consecutive days domiciled in this state.

This fall, my llc will apply for illlinois title and plates. As there will be no change of ownership, there will be no tax due, just the title and registration fee, which is small here.

If you r considering do
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If you r considering doing this, it is very important to know, understand, and comply with the laws of the state where u live and where u actually park the rv.

It is not nessesary to pay a montana law firm a couple thou to do all this.

My fee to set up the llc was about a hundred bucks, and if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have had that cost either.

Again tho, the registered agent is the key. Montana requires a real flesh and blood entity in montana to represent the llc.this service is rented by many montana companies for a wide range of prices. I was lucky enough to have a friend willing to do it for beer and pizza.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum. Use our search function and you'll find a lot of discussion on Montana LLC. Be sure to do your homework on your home state laws so you can make an informed decision.

Best of luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As Jim said, make sure you don't make a criminal of yourself.

A bit of Generic advice: The tax man is about as close as we get to the Gestapo here in the US, his power it great and his heart is a solid block of ice.

Some states have gone after RVers who do the Montana LLC route, others have talked about it, including the one where I'm registered to vote. (I do NOT know the status of said talks) So take care.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:06 AM   #6

Heed the aforementioned advice. Cash strapped states are going after any source of revenue they can. Tax evaders are number one on the list. That includes RV'ers.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:19 AM   #7

Hi,

Our Montana Agent is Helen Fandrich. Her company is
MT Corp. Services
mobile: 406.431.3353
email: mtcorpserv @ hotmail.com

Helen is great. She is not an attorney so her fees are more modest than many of the law firms. However if you require an attorney, she can refer you to one. She has been our agent since 2006 and we have nothing but good things to say about her.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:43 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Be very careful, my friend. Most states are strapped for cash and are looking at all avenues. Don't do something criminal. Louisiana has ordered all rv dealers who sell an rv registered to a LLC out of state to notify the Dept. of revenue.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #9

Yes be careful, I did mine in January. Here's a few things of interest, I bought mine out of state from a friend, I made sure my insurance was on board with me, my home state don't know anything about it since no paperwork came through it. It was paid for in cash so no finance trail. This wasn't planned, it just worked out this way. But I know it helped a lot. Yes I would do it again.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote