Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2005, 06:15 AM   #1

I'm not happy with the horsepower on the stock Ford 460 V8 (efi).

Does anyone have aftermarket upgrades that have worked to squeeze more torgue from this engine.

Gas mileage is not bad at 9.2 avareage but I would give up some to get better hill climbing ability.

Reason is we are heaing west and don't want to spend all our time in 3rd gear.

Can't justify the expense of a DP just yet...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2005, 06:21 AM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by gordon23:
Can't justify the expense of a DP just yet...
Aside from retro fitting your motorhome with Banks equipment, and given your statement that you're not ready for a DP just yet, go and try out a Workhorse powered motorhome.

Given the cost vs performance that you're looking for I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:50 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The question was about increasing power to a 460 engine, and not about seeking information on a new Workhorse chassis. He could probably buy a used DP for the same price as a new Workhorse with the 2005-2006 chassis?
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:02 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
In the rockies you're going to be in 3rd gear no matter what you do to that 460 Ford.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:25 AM   #5

So does anyone have an exhaust brake on a 460.

Don't want to be in 3rd gear going up and 2nd coming down.

Tell me why anyone would travel this way at to-days gas prices unless they were senile, deranged or just plain hooked on RVing.

I'm going anyway
Old 10-09-2005, 10:48 AM   #6

Depends on how long you plan on keeping your 460, if you are going to have it a long time then the Banks system is good. You will still be in 3rd and maybe in 2nd going up but it not a big deal so it takes 5 minutes more to get to the top, enjoy the country.

300 HP Cat
Miserabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:37 PM   #7

Hi gordon23,

I have the Banks Power Pack on my 95 F53 460 and love it. It really makes the ol 460 grunt up the mountains. As for engine braking, you could do as I did and put a switch on your IAC (idle air control). When you shut it off the manifold vacuum increases slightly and gives noticeably better engine braking.

95 Bounder 32H F53
Retired House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:03 AM   #8

The banks system is what I'm looking at now. Would you say the investment got you a big enough change to justify it.

The iac thing is strange to me. Does it shut off the air to the intake manifold and will the engine still run if you forget to turn it back on.

There is also an exhaust trap that I have heard about that acts as an engine brake by restricting the exhaust gas flow at the exhaust pipe.

I was thinking more along the lines of spending money on an engine control module rather than mechanical fix-ups but this engine may not have that option.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:54 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had had the Banks SYS installed on a 460 and two v-10's worth every penny, it improved in power, shifting with trans command especially hilly country out West. Shifting to lower gear on down grades was all that was needed. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
The iac thing is strange to me. Does it shut off the air to the intake manifold and will the engine still run if you forget to turn it back on.
The throttle body is set mechanically to hold idle at 500 RPM. The IAC then bypasses air around the throttle body to control idle at 800-900 RPM. If you forget to turn the IAC back on, your engine should still continue to run, only at less than desired idle speed.

95 Bounder 32H F53
Retired House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 04:04 PM   #11

gordon 23

re; better performance from ford 460.

having owned a 95 allegro bay , 35 feet, with a 460,i found the following to improve performance tremendously.

full BANKS system, headers and exhaust
BANKS trans-command which makes the tranny shift faster, causing less slippage, less heat

stiffened leaf springs, added bilstien shocks

the diference was almost like adding a super charger and no-body past me that i didn' want to.

made the same changes on my 2000 mountain aire, 38 feet, very heavy, agin no-one past me and plenty of torgue and power, mpg improved but iate it up with higher speed , always pulled a towed.

another IMPORTANT change for most motorist is the added cost of using synthetic oil and lube.

heat ,excessive, is one of the major problems with engines and transmissions.

when you figure we're dealing with motorhomes with $50,000 plus price tags, what;s $30.00 more for an oil change??

i now have a 41 foot mountain aire diesel pusher with a 400 hp cummins isl, using all synthiv oil, tranny fluid and lube. dp is a lot quiter, rear engine, but i don,t feel that the extra cost of diesel was worth approx. $100,000 over gas with above additions. i don't think i will put 500,00 miles on dp

hope above info is helpful

workhorse is stii in research and developement so i would not buy one at this point, just read irv2 comments from owners and rv magazines.

good luck aj and bj
Old 10-14-2005, 04:08 PM   #12

gordon 23

correction to previous posting!!!!!

PASSED not past, same sound, different meaning and spelling

thanks aj
Old 10-20-2005, 07:42 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom N:
In the rockies you're going to be in 3rd gear no matter what you do to that 460 Ford.
In the Rockies , you'll be in 3rd gear, 2nd gear and 1st gear. I was with my Minnie Winnie w the 460 and I am with my Damon with the 8.1. I've pulled mtn.passes for 15 minutes in 1st gear . The 8.1 does'nt have the power I was led to expect but the Damon is probably 6000lb heavier than the Minnie. I only put a K&N air filter and full 3" exhaust with a slightly louder muffler. I did'nt notice much more power.
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:40 AM   #14

The more I get answers from forum members, the more I'm upset with the MH manufacturers. Why in blazes can't they design units with enough power to do the job. That is without having the engines lugging along in the lower gears where they are least effecient, most noisy, generating lots of heat and pushing the load at half the speed they could.

Eighteen wheeler trucks don't run in 1st & 2nd gears to get up hills.

Surely there is enough volume in the industry to get us a couple of specifically designed power plants in our houses on wheels.

To the Manufacturers........shame on you....get with it and give your market what it needs, not what you have been cobbling together with stock parts for twenty years.

Now I feel better..I'm going out to winterize my mechanical tortoise.