Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #1

Hi to all, I am a new member & have some serious problems. I have no power in the coach & cannot start generator when not connected to shore power. No lights, no water pump, nothing works. Everthing worked fine 2 weeks ago. We had a tech look at it & was told we need a new motherboard. We have been waiting but apparently he cannot find a replacement.
Can anyone help me as I am electrically challenged & don't even know how to shop for one myself.

cruzin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
Letting everyone know a few things will help them help you... Make & Model of your unit and perhaps some more descriptive details...

94-Newmar Kountry Star 40-KSDP
Spartan/Cummins 8.3C-300HP/Allison 3060 WTEC-II/25yr RV Tech RVIA Certified/Onan-Cummins Certified
94-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
What you describe seems to be a battery problem. Have your batteries been checked or do you know if they are fully charged? If you are connected to shore power does the generator start and you have lights?
2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On many coaches the generator starts with the HOUSE battery. Mine is one of those.

If the house battery is not connected (Turned off) or dead. then .. I get what you got.

NOW.... One time I hit the house battery disconnect switch.(Marked STORE on my rig). This shuts off all 12 volt devices which includes control power to the air conditioners, water pump, water heater, furnace and frige, thus extinguishing all burners and open flames.

I then pulled up to the propane pump and re-filled

I then pulled off and hit the CONNECT button (Maked USE on my rig)

AND NOTHING HAPPENED.. the switch had failed.

Now.. I was able to fix it

But my symptoms... Identical to yours.

Though my rig is different.. The wiring diagram for my "Battery control system" shows manual re-set circuit breakers in the bottom of the box.. Push up HARD on both of them to reset. (Intelletec Battery Control System for Gassers)

Of course yours may be different.. Suspects include main breakers (NOT the 120 volt breakers but a 12 volt one), main fuses, bad battery connections, disconnect switches or solenoids, and of course bad battery.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
Country Coach Owners Club
Your batteries are not powering the coach. As previously mentioned check your house battery shut down switch and function.

Next, check to see if there is a large fuse (mine is 300A) in the wiring between your batteries and the invertor or fuse board. Mine is located just next to the batteries.

I have seen several rigs, (mine included) that display the same symptoms when that fuse has failed.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Motherboard??? Maybe some circuit board failed, but in what??

The basic problem is as others have said - your battery power isn't reaching the 12v system. The converter/charger (or inverter/charge) is, however, which is why it works on shore power. We need to know more about how the batteries are wired in. Mine have a huge fuse (300A) that would have the effect you describe. So would a failed Battery Disconnect switch or relay. I also have an Intelletec Battery Control Center that would do much of that if it failed totally, and it does indeed have a circuit board.

So what year, make & model coach do you have?
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
By the way. if the MB fails on an Intelletec BCC (Battery Control Center) It is possible to "Bypass" it.. Just so you know. I won't go into how as I'd have to have the diagram in front of me and that.. Is on a different computer that is kaput just now.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
Thank-you for posts, have tried all suggestions. MH is a 2003 Damon Intruder373. Cannot find any reset breakers & have checked the switches in the coach which are located by the door, and show 13.6 volts. Batteries are new. Something is draining the power because the engine battery won't stay charged. Generator won't start & nothing works if we unplug from shore power.
cruzin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
What is the chassis??? If its a Workhorse may have a answer for you.
Have they tried a good 12v chassis battery and see if engine would start?
Some battery charges also have a start circuit built in them that could be tried.

98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote