Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
OWV

Motor coach extended warranties

This is another of the threads we are posting on topics we need to address/resolve before we take delivery of our new Class A motor coach. As with the others, this topic has probably been the topic of many threads and if it has would any of the readers of this thread, please, send us a link.

One theme that everyone we talked to at the Hershey show, buyers and lookers like us, dealer representatives and manufacturer representatives was that there is no such thing as a perfect, trouble free motor coach. They are not perfect off the line and the one constant is that things will break. So with that said, what have full-timer’s experiences been with regard to extended warranties? Which companies truly do offer bumper to bumper (chassis, engine, house, generator, tires; anything and everything that could break) coverage? Which companies offer the best claim service and why? Which companies offer the worst claim service and why? Are there restrictions where we can go to get something fixed? What’s in the fine print that companies don’t want you to know and which could affect coverage? What are things that are fluff and probably not worth any extra money? Which companies offer the best rates? And, speaking of rates, about how much does an extended warranty cost and how long do they last?

As always, your input is greatly appreciated as we continue to prepare for delivery and our new life style.

Regards,
OWV – Our Wandering View
Entegra Aspire 44B ordered
Jeep Wrangler Ltd 4 door, Blue Ox tow package ordered
OWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Here's a bunch of links to previous threads.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Exten...earch=irv2.com

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club

If you look at them like insurance (which they are) and figure you'll never get back what you paid (they'd go out of business if they paid out more than they take in) then I guess they're OK.
Personally I follow Consumer Reports lead and my experience and don't buy them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Everything we've all said in the past about service contracts can be brought up with a simple search of the forum.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
... If you look at them like insurance (which they are) and figure you'll never get back what you paid....
Mr D is correct with one big caveat: You'll never get back what you paid, if you never file a claim.

Fourteen months ago I prepaid a four-year service contract through Wholesale Warranties. To date I have filed two repair claims, the repairs were performed and the claims paid immediately, and I have recovered over half of the total premium I paid for the four year contract.
2004 Element
Old 09-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
Community Administrator

They're betting you won't have a claim and you're betting you are. It's very expensive if you don't have a claim and it's very cheap if you do. That's true for all insurances

Old 09-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Mr D is correct with one big caveat: You'll never get back what you paid, if you never file a claim.

Fourteen months ago I prepaid a four-year service contract through Wholesale Warranties. To date I have filed two repair claims, the repairs were performed and the claims paid immediately, and I have recovered over half of the total premium I paid for the four year contract.
And even if you file a claim there's no guarantee you'll get your money as the contracts are written by lawyers to make money for their clients.
One person was 750 miles over on an engine oil/filter change, the insurance company denied his claim for a transmission failure! I think they refunded him the cost of the remaining time on the policy but it wasn't enough to pay for the transmission.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Quote:
And even if you file a claim there's no guarantee you'll get your money as the contracts are written by lawyers to make money for their clients.
One person was 750 miles over on an engine oil/filter change, the insurance company denied his claim for a transmission failure! I think they refunded him the cost of the remaining time on the policy but it wasn't enough to pay for the transmission.
For everyone of those stories there's a $ 10,000 engine repair that was paid. It's a personal decision to take the risk or transfer it.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
The OP never mentioned if he was buying a new or used coach... That's a pretty important consideration... If you buy a new coach, there should be a warranty period and no need to buy additional coverages now. There will be plenty of time to get to know your rig and do your due diligence. If the coach is used... the older the coach, the more likely for a breakdown (generally speaking)... and the more likely of a higher annual premium (that's pretty certain!)... if it's older than 10 years old, you may no be able to get coverage... Read the prior threads as suggested above. Everything you ever wanted to know ESPs... and didn't know that you wanted to know... will be in there... As for my opinion... I've read several contracts... they are written in such a way to always be able to get out of a claim and to cancel you at any time, at the company's discretion...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
His signature block indicates he has an Entegra on order.
2004 Element
Old 09-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
For everyone of those stories there's a $ 10,000 engine repair that was paid. It's a personal decision to take the risk or transfer it.
From what I've seen on the various forums and other sites its about 3:1 unpaid vs paid claims.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
From what I've seen on the various forums and other sites its about 3:1 unpaid vs paid claims.
But remember..... people who think they've been treated unfairly will voice their displeasure far more often than people who think everything's working well will voice their satisfaction.

Also, my strong sense from the many threads here is that a fair number of the displeased were not actually mistreated, but either didn't read their contract carefully, or tried to buy the cheapest coverage options available.
2004 Element
Old 09-20-2013, 03:22 AM   #13
Community Administrator

I agree and there are some Co's out there that are scams and just won't pay. Buyer beware certainly applies here. Those that do their homework and comply with the contract stipulations usually get their claims paid.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
His signature block indicates he has an Entegra on order.
If he has an Entegra "on order"... that implies that it's "new". In reading most ESP contracts that I have reviewed... If you have coverage through the manufacturer or elsewhere, you have to make a claim there first.

Sounds like spending money that can be better spent elsewhere... like on $4/gallon fuel! Just sayin...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote