Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Motor Home extended warranty

What's the best extended warranty for a motor home. What to look for and what to avoid.

Thanks
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #2

First, they are not extended warranties, they are extended service plans or insurance policies against failures. Most are sold by brokers, including dealers, who get between 30% and 50% in commissions so they are high profit for the brokers. After the insurance deducts salaries, expenses and profit, only about 30% is paid out in repairs.

If you are average, you will get back 30% of your policy cost. If that is acceptable to you, then get a copy of the policy and read it in detail before writing a check. You need to know what is covered, what is not covered, and the procedure you need to follow to get repairs paid.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Make sure that the policy is underwritten by an AM Best rated A company...

GO for an "exclusionary policy" (specifically lists the items that are excluded)

Talk to other about how well they pay...

Mine paid for itself in the first year..Others have a different story...

I like the peace of mind that comes from knowing I wont have a $10000 bill for a blown engine.
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:49 AM   #4

I can't emphasize enough 'read the contract completely'. Some warranty companies only give you the first page of the contract at signing and send the rest later. Don't go for that. Get the entire contract.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have ask them to mail me a copy of the contract, don't think they are real happy.
Mythplaced may I ask who you are with?
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
I have ask them to mail me a copy of the contract, don't think they are real happy.
Mythplaced may I ask who you are with?
PRIZM
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
We have the route 66 extended service plan and glad we do. Had some problems, problem fixed and paid no hassel. Our repairs have exceded the premium. It's pretty easy for problems to get expensive at $80 to $100 an hour!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I purchased a plan from AmericanRVWarranties.com There is a lot of information from them on the web. The individual I actually dealt with was Scott Stevens 877-248-8265. I lost a diesel engine on my last motorhome and that was very expensive to pay out of pocket. It appears this policy would have covered the replacement if I had had the policy BUT THE MAJOR PROBLEM IS you have to make sure (prove) the vehicle has been serviced and maintained according to manufacturer guidelines and the same with the appliances. And YOU MUST CONTACT THEM PRIOR TO THE REPAIRS. I don't expect major problems with this motor home and if I want I can cancel the contract and get a refund or transfer the policy if I sell the motorhome. I mostly ppurchased it for "peace of mind"
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Another Route 66 customer here. Bought it 4 years ago when we bought our 1994 Adventurer. More than paid for itself. Booklet lists what is NOT covered and they didn't/don't require proof of maintenance. They've fixed/replaced generator ($4,000), ball joints, furnace, converter/charger, plus other small things. They must be called first, but pay promptly by Visa to shop.
Romer1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #10

I recently purchased a 2004 Rexhall Rexair 37 TREX from a Camping World dealership. It is covered for 30 days by the dealership so I have a little time to investigate. They are oferonf a CWCare policy which which is just under $4000 and covers me for 4 yrs. No deductible if the work is done at a Camping World facility, $50.00 if it's done elsewhere. I 'd really appreciate your thought and imput. Is this an average price? Does anyone have experience with CWCare?

Thanks,
ronyrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
I have to withdraw my previous recommendation for dealing with Scott Stevens and American RV Warranties (post #8 above). I had a break down about three weeks ago and from along side the highway I called Scott Stevens - he was not helpful, said he had sent two copies of the policy to me and that I should have one in my motorhome. I did not have a copy of the policy with me in the motorhome but did have one of his business cards (As a side I can't find either of the two copies of the policy at home or in the motorhome that he says were sent to me). One of the reasons I went with him was his selling statement to me that if I ever had a problem to give him a call. There I was, broke down on the interstate, and remembered his statement - I could go into great detail but suffice it to say his follow up was to tell me to call the company (Prism). The next day he did give me a policy number but it was the wrong number, not my policy but someone else's. After the motor home was towed to a repair facility by a Progressive Insurance roadside contract and I got home we exchanged several email messages in which he ended up telling me I was rude, threatening and "ungrateful...." The actual (insurance) company Prism was helpful and paid for the portion of the repairs as stated in the agreement that they (Prism) sent me. (Yes, I have sent a letter to Prism telling them my concerns about Scott Stevens) I guess I'm old enough to remember when a person sold a product and if you had a problem they would contact the parent company, and make you feel like they were helping you - not so in this case let alone being called an "ungrateful...."
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #12

Hi ALL RVers, lots of us still need real input on this issue of companies to trust. I have read lots of good and poor outcomes, but only 2 names. Could more RVers with contracts of the trusted companies give-up some names. One person mentioned a policy through iRV2.com could you give us a name. Most recommend reading contracts and reserch, but I have limited reading due to vision problems while reading. Plus thats why we are asking we need your personal experiences.
Thanks for your help
Greenbroke
Tiffin Phaeton 36 qsh 2009
Honda Rebel & Kawasaki Eliminator
Ain't lost yet
greenbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You might want to look at:

www.wholesalewarranties.com
arveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
We put 10% of the purchase price of our rig into an account just for routine maintenance and repair (including batteries and tires) and add to it each month. Why not just put the money you would spend on the extended service (insurance) policy into a savings account and then add to each month $50 or so. Then, when you need service, you have the money, have no hoops to jump through, and if you find a worn part can fix it BEFORE it breaks. And we never have to worry about whether it was a non-covered part that failed first, therefore nothing is covered, etc.

Remember, by design these insurance companies must take in more money than they pay out.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote