Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #1

Motor home insurance

We have ordered a 2015 Sunseeker. Our last unit was insured by Progressive . Would appreciate any feedback/comments on them or others like Allstate, Geico, etc

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Allstate was the cheapest by far in my situation.

StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:10 PM   #3

AARP/Hartford
Old 06-16-2014, 10:46 PM   #4

We use Safeco. We have a bundle rate with our cars and houses.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:41 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Insurance prices goes off of lots of different inputs - where you live, your driving record, type of vehicle, any other drivers and their records, etc - that can make a huge difference in cost. Case in point, our insurance on the RV went down just over half moving it from MI to CA with everything else the same as in coverage and drivers. On the other hand our insurance on the bike doubled going from MI to CA. We have Progressive ourselves and are happy with the service when needed for a claim. So far thou we've only had to file a claim for the bike when a deer ran a stop sign.

It would probably be better if you called them all to get prices. Just make sure you are asking for the same things in the policy when asking.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Explorer RV or Farm & City Ins Co can beat pretty much anyone else's rates AND they know rv's and proper rv insurance.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:33 AM   #7

We had Progressive and the premiums continued ronin crease year after year. After exploring our options we chose Blue Sky RV Insurance. Great value and various services offered by the program.

Additionally, as a long term insurance professional I recognize the insurance carriers financial rating is very solid.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
We had Blue Sky last year. They have a new underwriter and this year, July1, our rates would have increased $960.00 through no fault. Explorer RV was in the ball park, as well as FMCA. Both use National Interstate for underwriting. We ended up with broker Twin Peaks out of Ft. Lauderdale FL. They too are underwritten by National and beat the above mentioned brokers by several hundred dollars. We originally were with Progressive, same story low first year over a thousand dollars next year with no claims. It really pays to shop till you drop!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #9
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
I just received my renewal notice from Progressive. They jacked my premium 16% over last year, and the year before was another 15%. They've lost me. Fool me once, etc...
Old 06-18-2014, 07:53 AM   #10

Progressive jacked my rate by 50% after a not at fault claim. Going with state auto for 1/6th the cost
Old 06-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #11

Regarding MH insurance, has anyone had to use the towing coverage. Allstate is giving a good quote but limits towing to $250, which seems it might not cover a 12000# tow for much distance. Out west we are often pretty far from an authorized repair source. thanks
Old 06-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #12
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oedamer View Post
Regarding MH insurance, has anyone had to use the towing coverage. Allstate is giving a good quote but limits towing to $250, which seems it might not cover a 12000# tow for much distance. Out west we are often pretty far from an authorized repair source. thanks

I would venture to say that most experienced rv people use a tow service that specializes in rv's, such as CoachNet(our choice) or Good Sams. A little more expensive but they usually know what to do with your rig. IMO, other tow services that are usually offered by vehicle insurance companies are wannabes. You get what you pay for.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #13

Prior to buying a new RV I used SAFECO exclusively. House, rentals, cars, umbrella. After reading a chapter in the RV101 book I discovered that SAFECO did not provide very good RV coverage especially for a new RV. I got a quote from GEICO and they were $1075.00 per year. I called my agent and she recommended Progressive and they came in at $751.00 per year. That was for max coverage, towing and a 5 year replacement RV should the RV be damaged beyond repair. I also found that SAFECO would include the RV under the terms of the umbrella policy even though the basic RV policy was with Progressive.

It is my understanding that individual rates vary depending on driving records, location of stored RV, credit scores, previous claims and deductibles that you choose.

ingram4868 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance