Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #1

motor problems

I have been fighting this for 2 years now.WE can go on the road and after about a hour and a half start losing power have to pull off an exit turn motor off for 15 -20 minutes then it will go again for awhile.Took it in to a ford dealer they replaced the #6 power pack took it out again it did the same thing took it back to the dealer and they replaced #4 power pack took it out again doing the same thing so i replaced the other 8 and low and behold still doing it.I read the codes and it had P1130,P1131,P1150 and P1151 seems to me it could be the o2 sensor .It is a v10 super duty running out of ideas.Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #2

Have you changed the fuel filter lately?

Old 06-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #3

getting ready to do that it was suppose to been changed when they did all the other work but i looked under the rv and it looked old to me.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:44 PM   #4

Ford Mass Air Flow Sensors Check out this article
Old 06-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #5

jbowman, did you get a chance to read the link to the article on the MAF? Make sure you read through the article as the codes you list are mentioned along with a reasonable explanation. I used to own an RV with the v10 and had similar problems with mine and it ended up being the MAF. Although I do not remember the codes I had received.
I'm just curious as to how you have progressed with the issue.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #6

Hi JBowman,

Sorry to hear you are having the same type problem I had when I had a V10 F53 unit. I to had a lost of power, just before the heads blew, due to a clogged Cat. converter. I would have your converter checked out. Hopefully you might still be covered by warranty. If not, there isn't any OEM converters (Not 5 Years Ago), an converter from Ford, cost over $800. Hope you are able to find your trouble.

360HP Cummings
jcrowder47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump Jumper View Post
Have you changed the fuel filter lately?
X2...fuel filter I had the same problem.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:50 PM   #8

Well i changed the fuel filter look like it hasn't been changed for awhile i also cleaned the MAF sensor but haven't been able to try it out it takes about 1 1/2 hours of driving for it to start.I'll let you know how it goes checked out the converter not stopped up.I have only had the RV for 2 years.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #9

ok i changed the fuel filter,air fliter,cleaned the MAF sensor and drove it to a friend house 2 1/2 hours away just to test it out.I ran like a scalded cat for 1 hr. 45 min then it started the same thing turned it out went on and filled up the tank and it ran good the rest of the way.My friend asked if the gas cap was tight i told him i didn't even think it was the original because when i bought there wasn't one on it and the dealer went and got one so i loosened it up it seemed to run better but i had to pull over almost at home to turn it off and erase the 171 and 174 code on it.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Could it be the fuel pump? I once had a problem like yours with my Ford 351. On a long trip, each morning the RV ran fine. Once the engine got hot, it would miss when I needed fuel the most like going up a hill. Let it cool for an hour and it would run okay for a while. The hotter it got, the worse it was. A shop in Kanab, Utah changed the pump. Now runs great.
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #11

bowman,
i tried the fuel filter like we discussed on an earlier post. mine did the same thing on the trip home today about 3 hours into the drive. it wont kill the engine but it will lose all power and not pull the rv. i got tired of messing with it and yanked the tank off today and pulled out the fuel pump. i dont know if changing it will fix the problem, but it did have some corrosion and the sock filter on the inside of the pump was coated with goop and corrosion. i think the pump works great for a while and eventually it will not pull fuel through the mess on the filter. also noticed a whining type sound coming from the tank itself and that is what made me finally give up and pull the tank down. i am going in the morning to get a replacement pump and will clean out the tank and remount the whole work and see how it goes......
Old 06-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen problems like this in many vehicles. I'm not saying this is the prblem but it could be. There is a sock on the pickup tube in the gas tank. This sock gets cloged up while you are driving ind wont let gas be pumped. When you stop and turn it off the sucktion stops and the material cloging the sock falls off. Then you can drive for a while till it stops up again. The bad part is in most cases you have to remove the tank and clean it out and replace this sock.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:45 AM   #13

Well finally got the fuel pump changed wow what a job haven't got to try it yet but the sock looked bad so hopefully that is what it is.A friend gave me a new MAF sensor to try also i think the only thing i haven't changed is the o2 sensor and converter.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #14

ok one more thing.My Class C is a 1999 Fun Mover but the v10 econoline is a 1998 i am wanting to know how many o2 sensors are on it?I got under it and only saw 1 on the drivers side between the motor and converter didn't see any after the converter.