Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Motorcoach fires and loss

In the last 2 weeks there have been 2 fridge fires posted on Irv2. These fires got me thinking and coming up with questions for my insurance agent. I called and asked my list of questions and recieved answers. Now I would like to hear from the folks that have had unfortunate events (total loss) happen to them with thier rv and just how it came out in the end. What coverages were you lacking and how your insurance company performed in your time of trouble. As we all know we can go insurance broke but if you don't have it or enough and a tragic event happens it will be to late for questions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for sharing.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Thanks for sharing.
Some sharing, but more of a question if you read again.........
Old 01-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89
Some sharing, but more of a question if you read again.........
I get it - was really interested in what you learned because I'm not sure we have many total loss folks here. I know there have been 3rd party reports lately - and reported news stories but don't recall a lot of first hand reports. Could be I just don't remember.

So I'll be quiet now since I mercifully don't have first hand experience with a total loss but do have the 1210.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:03 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I recieved a p.m. this morning from a member that went through a total loss of thier Coach but they did not want to post thier story here on the thread and I guess I don't blame them. I started this thread so the folks could maybe learn something before they have to the hard way,but it did not start off like I thought it would. So if you have a story of a event that happened to you if you don't want to post it here please p.m. me as I surly would be interested in reading your story and thank you for your time.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I hope I didn't cause reluctance to disclose on anyones part. Would still be interested in what types of coverage you and others have - provider - type coverage (RV Policy with Total Loss or not - general vehicle liability etc for RV) and how it would deal with a fire / total loss.

I have not called my provider to disclose refrigerator or ask about this. I have an RV policy with State Farm (all my life / RVs / Cars / House etc). Since I'm still "recreational" I considered an RV policy that could be switched from "in service to out" but didn't want to have to deal with that every time I decided to take an unscheduled weekend trip or just stretch her legs. Since the price difference was about 50% between the two I went with the lesser of the two. In liability and other $ lines written the coverage was basically identical. There may well be issues with claims and experience (both the providers "pool experience" used for rating lines and dealing with and covering RV claims. For now I'm taking that risk.

I'm not prepared to call my agent of 30 years and discuss the fire potential like you did and he has never brought it up. So if you're willing to share what you learned, I and others might learn something too. I can understand that folks who have gone through the actual heartbreak being reluctant to relive it. But perhaps those who have pursued it with their agent / carrier like you did will be willing share.

I think there is something to learned here - even if not from first hand total loss "recovery" / refrigerator / other fires.

Thanks for trying to get the facts out. Again, hope I didn't adversely impact the discussion.
Steve and Annie
Old 01-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I prefer not to have to go through the total loss issue. There will be nothing good coming from it. Either financially or emotionally. Instead, to address the Not so Cold issue, I installed a 2 liter AFFF fire extinguisher with a remote head in the compartment behind the fridge. The remote head was placed in the flue area above the burner. The next one will be a 4 liter with two remote heads in the engine compartment. It may not stop bad things from happening, but it should slow them down.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Her is one thing to think about, When I bought my Coach my insurance agent ask me what is was worth? In my head..... price payed +5,000.00 . My figure was on the low nada. So at that time I was paying on that figure and the n.a.d.a book value was higher. So I called the other day and asked about if the figure I gave them 4 years ago is how my cost per year is still based and she said yes. When I asked on a total loss how will they pay and she said on the N.A.D.A book value (low-average-high) based on the condition. I told her I was going to do a N.A.D.A value on it and get back with her to adjust my policy and I don't think she much cared for this conversation with me. As a story goes to me from a person with a total loss story stated that his coach was bought way below N.A.D.A and had a total loss event happen and his insurance paid the book value of his loss.So my point here and why I am wanting to learn on this subject is that if you want to over pay insurance company's and never ask questions they will let you.There is no sence in paying insurance of a $150,000.00 Coach (when bought) and now 7 years later the nada says it is worth$80,000.00 (just examples)My agent told me towards the end of our conversation that my yearly premium has went down $13.00 in 4 years! I really don't think the cost of insurance per the nada book value will come out to $13.00. So she told me to do the nada and choose what nada value based on the condition, get a number ($) and call her back and she would adjust my policy.
P.S. She did tell me when asked that erie insurance will only pay on the nada (condition) not on what I had it insured for!
I still wish to hear from others on this subject please
Old 01-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrtrcr View Post
I prefer not to have to go through the total loss issue. There will be nothing good coming from it. Either financially or emotionally. Instead, to address the Not so Cold issue, I installed a 2 liter AFFF fire extinguisher with a remote head in the compartment behind the fridge. The remote head was placed in the flue area above the burner. The next one will be a 4 liter with two remote heads in the engine compartment. It may not stop bad things from happening, but it should slow them down.
Good morning Bill, I thought you have a residential fridge in your Coach?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I do. The fire extinguisher for the refer was on the other coach. This one will have the engine bay done by the time it gets out of storage.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #11

its not fun the gen got this one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-09-19 17.00.09.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	31563  
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #12

My model is not part of the recall and has not had a fire.
It cools great.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
This is a good time to call your agent and talk to him. Our coach was 5 years old and replacement coverage ended, they asked me what I thought the coach was worth and I asked them how they decided on the value of the coach if it was a total loss. They said they would go by blue book value plus any options at the time of loss. That is the dollar amount they based out premiums on. It makes no sense to pay premiums on "what you think the coach is worth". Moral is what you think your coach is worth and what they will pay are 2 different animals.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #14

One thing is for sure they will pay the lesser of the insured value and the "value" at the time of the loss. I do adjust my value every year (have to do it in writting) and I always keep it a little high to be on safe side...