Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2009, 07:40 AM   #1

Post motorcycle lift/carrier

looking for information about and experience with the difference motorcycle lifts and carriers. I have a 2000 32' adventurer and I am thinking of installing one on my motorhome
atek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to have you here on iRV2. Be sure and checl the Winnebago Owners Forum.

From an engineers point of view, you need to be really careful adding a lift and scooter to the rear of a gas chassis motorhome. That much weight can have a negative evvect on handling plus the added weight to the rear axle. Also causes the front axle to light which can lead to the handling problems.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most of them wont work on a gasser, unless its a really small, light bike.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There's a lot of good trailers out there that would carry a motorcycle nicely.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #5

For my off-road motocycle I have one like this and it works fine. Used it on my 1999 Adventurer and it was OK. I had upgraded the frame hitch to a 10,000 lb rated hitch, which was way overkill for that motorhome. Of course with my present pusher, it is no problem. It is obviously not rated for a street bike lilke a Harley:

Ultimate MX Hauler Motocross & Dirt Bike Carrier

You might also want to consider one of these types. Guess the issue here is tire/chain/etc wear, but seems to be a reasonable solution. I saw a number of these in use this year. I am sure there are a number of other manufacturers:

MC Front wheel towing system
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:00 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Have a friend that has a 37' georgetown, gas. He installed a hyd lift and hauls a yahama stratoliner. It makes his rig a little light in the front. He told me he is thinking about taking it off.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:33 AM   #7

Why not put the carrier on the front of the MH? I did this back in the early 80s, and it worked well for my little Honda 185. I currently carry a Yamaha 650 on the back of my pusher using a versa-haula bike carrier. No problem, except that the bike is a bit heavy for both the carrier and my wife. The last time we unloaded the bike from the carrier, we dropped it....It is just a bit too much for my DW to keep vertical while I unhook the tie down straps. I am currently looking for another method of carring the bike.

Happy Travels

Mike
michaelpatri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:13 PM   #8

A while back I researched these motorcycle carriers. You need to weigh your motorhome and determine if you can even use one of these carriers hanging off the back of your RV. I'm betting you can't. I have a 2000 40' Holiday Rambler Imperial DP with a 20,000 lb rear axle rating, a substantially heavier duty chassis than you have. The last time we weighed the coach I had 19,100 pounds on the rears. I came to the conclusion that the only motorhomes I'd even consider one of these things for is a tag axle.

However, for half the price of these motorcycle carriers you can get a very nice enclosed trailer with a ramp door.That's the route I decided to go. Why an enclosed trailer? Last summer I borrowed a friend's open trailer to haul my Harley full dresser to Glacier for the week. On the way back it rained solid from Kalispell, MT to Spokane, WA. It took the wife and me three hours to get the gunk off that poor bike. The back of a motorhome in the rain is a swirling mass of oily, dirty mist that will get in every nook and cranny of your beloved bike. Just my two cents here...
Snowman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Check out The ultimate motorcycle RV transportation system.

I don't have one but they seem to be pretty popular here in Florida, it even allows towing a TOAD at the same time.
CaptPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Bike trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atek View Post
looking for information about and experience with the difference motorcycle lifts and carriers. I have a 2000 32' adventurer and I am thinking of installing one on my motorhome
My soultion to the same was to get a 6x12 enclosed trailer. Carries 2 bikes, fishing gear and kayaks, and while pared at home has room for the snowblower too. Camera on the back of the RV makes it easy to back and hook up. Also on site, bikes are out of sight.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:51 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with the poster's that remarked about hanging any significant amount of weight off of either end of the coach. It is just not a very smart thing to do.

Here is another approach that may work for you and you can tow a Toad too!

Tandem Tow™ Models - Race City RV Products - tandemtow.net

I was faced with the same situation and decided to invest in a good used enclosed trailer as I have too much stuff to carry around the country and the enclosed trailer keeps everything clean while traveling. When it comes time to downsize even more than I am already, I am prepared to haul just the toad.

Be safe while enjoying the trip!

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dr4Film
Has the trailer been much of a problem at finding campsites? I pull either a 6x10 trailer with motorcycle and bikes, also "junk". I have been told in Jackson, Wy. that I would have been turned away if I would have called with a trailer but I drove up and they found a site for me. Now we are in Phoenix and have our Honda CRV with us. Like now there are times I would like to have both car and motorcycle. The trailer is nice if you need to back up and being enclosed the stuff inside is not visible to theft or vandalism and stays clean. Some campgrounds have room and some don't. I've been thinking of a 24' - 26' trailer but wonder if that would be too much of a hassle and a problem because of the length. If you had to do it again would you have the long cargo trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I agree with the poster's that remarked about hanging any significant amount of weight off of either end of the coach. It is just not a very smart thing to do.

Here is another approach that may work for you and you can tow a Toad too!

Tandem Tow™ Models - Race City RV Products - tandemtow.net

I was faced with the same situation and decided to invest in a good used enclosed trailer as I have too much stuff to carry around the country and the enclosed trailer keeps everything clean while traveling. When it comes time to downsize even more than I am already, I am prepared to haul just the toad.

Be safe while enjoying the trip!

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J View Post
Dr4Film
Has the trailer been much of a problem at finding campsites? I pull either a 6x10 trailer with motorcycle and bikes, also "junk". I have been told in Jackson, Wy. that I would have been turned away if I would have called with a trailer but I drove up and they found a site for me. Now we are in Phoenix and have our Honda CRV with us. Like now there are times I would like to have both car and motorcycle. The trailer is nice if you need to back up and being enclosed the stuff inside is not visible to theft or vandalism and stays clean. Some campgrounds have room and some don't. I've been thinking of a 24' - 26' trailer but wonder if that would be too much of a hassle and a problem because of the length. If you had to do it again would you have the long cargo trailer?
When I make my reservations I'm quite specific about what I'm towing and what size site I need. I'm quite adept at backing it in also, like I said the camera is great. I was only turned down once at a place in Florida when I called because they were " Harleys"...bad bad......LOL.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
We have a Cruiser Ramp loader in our pickup. It simplifies loading the bike and allows us to have the bike, the toad and our kayak where ever we go.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote