Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2016, 05:51 PM   #1

Motorhome body repair

I did a stupid thing setting my motorhome up. I allowed a park worker to say all slides would clear. Well they didn't. My bad and my responsibility.
My large slide hit a utility pedestal pushing it enough to cause a water break. Luckily, it was in sand and pushed and righted easily.
This is my first mishap and was wondering if I could get an idea what a repair will cost.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1452124207178.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	115869   Click image for larger version

Name:	1452124220711.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	115870  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2016, 06:01 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Being able to get to both side of the dent will make it easy to hammer out, then a little body filler to smooth out and paint to match. It shouldn't be to costly a repair in fact I'd just pay the $ and forget about any insurance claim.

D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think you should just take to your local neighborhood body shop and have them fix for a couple of hundred dollars.

I smashed two of my doors on the post by the gas pump. They were both deformed and torn so I ended up having to replace both doors.

The doors themselves (unpainted and without hardware) are $550-$650 each directly from Fleetwood. I had quite a bit of other work to be done (from PO) so I am having it all done at once. (total bill $6000 including new doors).
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAdventurer View Post
I did a stupid thing setting my motorhome up. I allowed a park worker to say all slides would clear. Well they didn't. My bad and my responsibility.
My large slide hit a utility pedestal pushing it enough to cause a water break. Luckily, it was in sand and pushed and righted easily.
This is my first mishap and was wondering if I could get an idea what a repair will cost.
Well Sir,
First off, you don't say what make/model/year etc. of your coach. I could "maybe" assume it might be an "Adventurer" (based on your user name) but, I could be way off too. But, if your coach is a Winnebago, then all you need to do would be to call them with your year/make/model and Vin number and, they'll have all the stats on that particular compartment door. If they don't have one in stock, they'll snap one out and, send it to you. All that's needed after that is a good shop that will match the paint.

Or, I suppose it's possible that Winne could even paint it too, before sending it to you. Again, a call to them will reveal good info for you.
As for getting to both sides of that dent, those doors don't normally separate from the skin.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:09 AM   #5

Thanks to all that replied. My RV is a 06 Winnebago Adventurer. The main reason I asked was that my dealer wanted $150 just for an estimate. Fire Up, thanks for the idea to call Winnebago directly.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #6

Forget the dealer and visit a body shop. Dealer's $150 is their handling charge to get it to the body shop.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'd remove the door and take it with you, soliciting a couple of estimates. A lot easier than driving around with the coach.

Be sure to ask about their intended repairs. Without being able to see the back side of the door I can't say how easy or difficult the repair will be, but it will take some metal work. That dent is far too deep to just be filled with even the best quality of body filler - it would eventually crack out.

The good news is, the damage is confined to one color and is far enough away from the secondary color so repairs should not disturb it. Repaint the damaged area, re-clear the entire door, and you should be good to go.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:44 PM   #8

Thanks again for all the great ideas. The back side of door is not damaged. Not sure if back can be removed to work the dent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1452300259705.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	116047  
Old 01-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think the only thing salvageable is the handle. The entire rest of the coach needs to be replaced

Great suggestion on removing the door. Easier for you and the body shop.

Find out from Winne what brand of paint products they use for a better match.
any decent body shop should be able to repair it.

Are you able to remove the inside panel? That might lower the repair cost a touch if you do that first.

Regards,

Dan
Old 01-08-2016, 11:35 PM   #10

There are rv salvage yards that might have the door also.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:15 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2006 BOUNDER 35E driver cargo ( largest naturally!!) DW calls it her "TITANT DAY" very similar lower FG door damage and ripped open!

NO SALVAGE ....in 2015!
FLEETWOOD: 2006 doors out of production, so $4500 to make a door!

RV DEALER BODY GUY $1800.00 done. Not perfect but VG.

SALVAGE DOOR maybe as a future upgrade. Not now.

Enormous LESSON!
Old 01-10-2016, 07:01 PM   #12

I've had a couple of similar repairs and the cost is usually $500. When I question that amount the body guy says paint is very expensive (seems like mine always needs two colors), and add a couple hours labor and a little for materials and it adds up very quickly. This southwest Oregon - I'd think other areas may be more or less expensive.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:28 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

It's several hours of labor to straighten the dent (if its possible) and then paint, so around $500 would be a good guess (varies by labor rates in your area). Sometimes its cheaper and more effective to replace the outer skin of the door or even the whole door. Probably a few hundred $ more for that option, by the time the new door is painted.

You don't want an RV dealer unless they have their own body shop, and even them they are probably more expensive. Go to a body shop, preferably one that specializes in RV. Most metro areas have at least one.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, repair