Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #15

In addition to the above, all good advice, count on having to have the fuel injection system flushed. As a GM Service Manager I can tell you that the injectors on all Vortec mtors do not like sitting for long periods of time. Todays fuels quickly cause sticking problems due to contamination after sitting. This can cause the injector to stop working as they heat up. Fine for a few minute idle but not when running down the highway. for some reason they seem to prefer sticking open so you get rich running and in extreme cases gas in the oil pan. A cuple of hundred dollars in prevention, but I would highly recommend it.
Springer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #16

Thanks for all the good advice!

Thank you everyone for the great advice! And yes, this is the coach that Ka7suz (Joann) linked to in her message. It is on a Workhorse chassis. He did take it in for the brake recall, but I believe that is all that he has had done. Not sure if there were other recalls that will need to be dealt with or not (I'm figuring there is probably one, or more, on the refrigerator as I remember there were several recalls on both Dometic and Norcold refers). Your comments all confirmed what I figured: it needs a lot of catch up maintenance in addition to new tires and batteries. I'm figuring a good $5k to really get it all up to date and ready for the road.

We will probably pass on this as I don't think they will lower the price enough to offset the costs of the needed maintenance and probably some leaking seals, hoses, etc. We'll see.

Again, thanks to everyone for the excellent replies!
Pinemtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Also check the condition of the batteries coach and house.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kketterling View Post
Also check the condition of the batteries coach and house.
Ken - he recently replaced the chassis battery, but the 2-6-volt house batteries need to be replaced. I factored that into my cost estimate.
Pinemtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like you know the answer - go for it :>)
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #20

Sure would like to be there when you replace those tires, with almost no UV exposure those tires should be good for 10 years, are they michelin? If so, IMOO don't replace them. Course they are probably 19.5 so they wouldn't fit my 22.5 inch rims.

If I were going to buy a gas motorhome, it would be a workhorse with that 8.1L v8. I had one in a Pace Arrow and loved it, also had a v-10 in a Mirada and did not like the high revs.

Just my thoughts, others will vary
Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinemtn View Post
We will probably pass on this as I don't think they will lower the price enough to offset the costs of the needed maintenance and probably some leaking seals, hoses, etc. We'll see.
There are a lot of nice coaches out there. And, maybe, the seller will reduce the price if he has no takers.

Something that might be unique. But, we bought what appeared to be a well maintained coach. Low miles (tho' not quite as low as this), and it had been idle for a few years. It was hard to steer. My husband checked all of the usual things and then found that the front bushings were shot. $5000 later.... This probably does not happen all that often but something worth checking on pre-owned coaches with nice low miles.

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #22
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
I would find a professional RV inspector and spend a couple of hundred dollars for him to inspect it. Sounds good, looks good, price is to high, but this sounds like the all to familiar "little ole lady car" scenario. May be alright but 8 yrs is an awfull long time for a RV of any kind to be sitting without being used. As others have stated pay special attention to tires, brakes, engine & trans fluids/filters, fridge, ac/hp if equipped, slides, and fuel. How long has the current fuel been in the tank. It will ultimately be your call, but be extremely careful before you jump in.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
Tires are good enough to get you to the nearest tire store. Price is twice what its worth. pressurize the water and see if it has been stored in a heated garage- good luck. I bet the paint is perfect
If you think that coach is worth $100k... Ill sell you my low mile 2005 unit for $48k if you want to close by monday. Needs nothing!
30k on the odo
250hrs on genny.
Garage kept!
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Biggest issue I see is that it is a neighbor. Your not only dealing with business you also have a personal interest.
Good Luck
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinemtn View Post
Thank you everyone for the great advice! And yes, this is the coach that Ka7suz (Joann) linked to in her message. It is on a Workhorse chassis. He did take it in for the brake recall, but I believe that is all that he has had done. Not sure if there were other recalls that will need to be dealt with or not (I'm figuring there is probably one, or more, on the refrigerator as I remember there were several recalls on both Dometic and Norcold refers). Your comments all confirmed what I figured: it needs a lot of catch up maintenance in addition to new tires and batteries. I'm figuring a good $5k to really get it all up to date and ready for the road.

IDK... tires really shouldnt need replacement. I agree at $50k... the price is high. A deal on your end would be $30k or less. It probably has tube televsions... so they wont work on air antenna. Colors are not exactly neutral (mauve shades and dark wood stain)
Im also leary of "idle" time runs. Generally there is very little oil pressure at idle and where 95% of the engine wear occurs.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #26

1) seller will reduce the price eventually
2) tires no bueno at 9 years old, pretty much guarantee multiple tread separations in the first 1000 miles, done that too many times myself and wouldn't risk it w/a motorhome
3) batteries for sure
4) roof seals all seams need super close inspection, sounds like the AC seal has never really been tested in real wet weather or driving in rain. I'd worry more about roof leaks than engine leaks
5) pump out gas or drop tank to remove (recommended*), use old gas w/Stabil in your lawn mower. Put real gas w/injector cleaner in the tank before first serious trip and make sure its well cycled thru to engine. If you drop tank you should be able to inspect inside to see if there is a rust problem which is common on these long idle rigs.

Let the owner know you are serious but his price is based on misinformation, and if he gets a more realistic feel for the market and you haven't made a move to call you.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #27
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
If you think that coach is worth $100k... Ill sell you my low mile 2005 unit for $48k if you want to close by monday. Needs nothing!
30k on the odo
250hrs on genny.
Garage kept!
I think you may want to reread the post you quoted. Your answer doesn't make sense. The post you quoted is below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg
Tires are good enough to get you to the nearest tire store. Price is twice what its worth. pressurize the water and see if it has been stored in a heated garage- good luck. I bet the paint is perfect
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
I think you may want to reread the post you quoted. Your answer doesn't make sense. The post you quoted is below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg
indeed I did have a dyslexic moment.

Tags
motorhome