Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Motorhome garaged for 8 years - good deal or not?

A neighbor has a 2004 Fleetwood Flair 33R motorhome for sale. They are the original owners, and have only taken one trip in it since they bought it in '04. It only has 2500 miles on it (yes, you read that correctly). It is for sale, and we are waffling on whether it is worth considering. We are not MH novices (we've owned several over the past 25 years. Our last one was a 40' high end diesel pusher which we sold in early 08). We're once again contemplating jumping back into the MH world, but this time we wish to keep it a bit smaller (under 35') and simpler (gas).

This MH has been kept garaged and looks like it just came from the factory. Not a blemish or thing wrong to be found inside or out. It is truly in as mint/perfect condition as a used coach could be. If it was a classic car, I'd call it a "museum" piece. Other than the one trip (about 7 years ago), the owner has only fired it up, pulled it in and out of the garage, to warm it up and get the fluids moving, then put it back in garage storage.

Everything is original, which unfortunately includes the engine oil, trans oil, gen oil, tires, etc. My obvious concerns are all the various seals and gaskets being dried up and potentially leaking once we get it on the road, and the tires - though only a few miles are on them, they are 8 years old, but kept out of the UV. Since the tires have been protected from the sun I'm wondering if they could still be ok after 8 years of pretty much just being in the garage (up on jacks to relieve the pressure a bit). I did not see any checking or cracking on the tires. Also, based on my cursory inspection, there are no oil or other leaks to be found. The underside of the engine/trans and the garage floor are all dry.

It's not a high end coach but it has many upgrades from the factory so it is a really nice coach for a Flair. But, he's asking the high end of book value due to the low miles (asking $49k). Since I've been out of the MH game for a few years, I wanted to solicit some more experienced opinions on this one.

I appreciate any suggestions or thoughts on this one.

Pinemtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
I think it is a terrible deal and you should give me your neighbors phone number so I can talk to him about it! I will set him straight! Lol, jk it sounds like a smoking deal! Best if luck.

Martino78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Our experts will chime in soon with sound technical advice but I would thing you would certainly have to replace the tires and as you know all fluids. I'd also think that a "test drive" of 100 miles or so would reveal any seal problems which might be lurking.

Best of luck.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, seals, fluids, fuel, filters, refer cooling, water heater. In fact everything should be checked out. I went from 2002 till Sept 2010 on the OEM Michelins with no trouble. You MIGHT get away for a few miles with the original tires but I sure wouldn't go very much longer.
With all that needing to be done I'm not sure high book is low enough. He needs to lower the price to compensate for all the upkeep/maintenance that's been missed. Or have him do it all and pay the high price (include tires in that too).
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Agree on tires. Probably have flat spots by now anyway. I would not chance it. Ask a mechanic about the engine and all fluids. There are folks with older cars that come out of storage for a long time and there are special recommendations for safely addressing that. Roof and such should be checked as they still age. Sounds like a dream machine.
History: '08 View, '05 Chinook, '01 Jamboree 24D, '78 Apache Popup, 81 Komfort Tlr,
84 Mazda B2000 'w canopy,
Tent from wedding shower in '96
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
National RV Owners Club
It can be seen on line.

ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford or Chevy?

@ka7suz.....How about a clue where online it can be seen.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it were me ( and it is not) I would plan on replacing the tires anyway. I would be seriously tempted by this deal, have it checked out as completely as possible, run all the systems and negotiate a lower price.

In spite of it's apparent condition it is still a buyers market. It is not old enough to be vintage and soon after you begin to use it it's age will begin to show.

My "experience" is limited to buying the one MH we own.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #9
National RV Owners Club
I just put 2004 Fleetwood Flair 33R in my browser - it was the first one that came up.

2004 Fleetwood Flair 33R Only 2400 Miles! Class A Motorhome

ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #10
A 2004, sure sounds tempting! Along with everything that has already been covered, what about the fuel? I am sure that it has not been replinshed as it needed to be. Even if Stabil was added it could still cause issues with the engine injectors and system in general. What about the generator? Before I jumped in I would want to take it on an 'extended' drive and work the generator. If everything else was equal, then I would be willing to talk as long as the seller came down on the price. I would be willing to bet that between the cost of tires, fluid changes and some other 'unseen' issues you are going to spend another $3000.00 or so. It still might be a good deal.
2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:22 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
He may be asking $49k for it, but that is over high or average retail. In this market, the coach is wirth about $39k an maybe a bit more due to condition. RVs typically sell for low retail and no options added.

BUT....you have to also consider that you will need 6 new tires and I would change all of the fluids (engine, generator, transmission, coolant), check brakes and repaack front wheel bearings before any long trips. It will also need new batteries.

Pulling it out and letting it warm up is more harmful than letting it set when properly stored.

Storage indoors is a plus as the roof should not be an issue, except to cehck and reseal all joints and seams.

Considering tires and all of the work on the coach, if you change all of the fluids yourself, you are looking at $3500 to $4000 in cost to get it in what I would consider road worthy shape.

That is my nickels worth.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #12
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Good advice above. Another thing: It's on the Workhorse chassis. Brake recall may need to be done.
2002 National Dolphin LX 6356
Workhorse W-22 chassis
Don't believe everything you think.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #13
Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Tires are good enough to get you to the nearest tire store. Price is twice what its worth. pressurize the water and see if it has been stored in a heated garage- good luck. I bet the paint is perfect
Ernie Ekberg, Bluebird Wanderlodge- 43
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #14

The auto apply park system is noted for on going problems. The Fluid in the system will have to be drained almost right away, the system allows mosture to invade. The cables and linkages also bind up repetedly. In addition the chassis has had many service brake issues as well. Be careful and do the research on that chassis.

DreamBelieve is offline   Reply With Quote